Dog Tricks

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by King Browny, Jan 6, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

What trick have you taught your dog? How did you train him to do that trick?

I’m actually thinking of training my dog to sing. Like I would sing “How much is that doggy in the window?” and they would do the “Arf, arf!” Haha! But I should have started it when they were still pups, right?

King Browny, Jan 6, 2012
  2. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not really taught him tricks and we just talk to him as if he was also a person. That way it seems he more understands us and he could obey some instructions as if teaching tricks to a dog. Just like sit, come here, up, stay and some other words on our language. ;)

zararina, Jan 6, 2012
  3. King Browny

I got this from DailyMail article about Rin Tin Tin:

At promotional events, Lee would demonstrate how he worked with Rin Tin Tin. Audiences could see he used neither cruelty nor bribes, just his voice. One observer wrote: ‘There was between that dog and his master as perfect an understanding as could possibly exist between two living beings . . . there was something almost uncanny about it.’

So it’s important that there’s an understanding or special bond between the owner and it’s pet to make the training more effective or appear like their just playing and it’s not a job of some sort.

King Browny, Jan 22, 2012
  4. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes dogs become more obedient when bonding with their owners are strong. That is why it is also important to have bonding time or spend time with our dogs to make them closer to us and have the "connection" with each other. And a formal training helps the dog do more tricks.

zararina, Jan 23, 2012
  5. King Browny

saizo6 Member

Both of my dogs only know the basic tricks like "sit", "lay down", "shake hand" and "roll". Basically, my sister and I would spend some time each day with them trying to teach them the tricks. We'd use doggy bones as incentives. We'd go through the routine and every time they did it right we'd reward them with some snack.

I actually thought that teaching Daisy (the funny picture to the left) how to do tricks would be impossible for us since she was already full grown when we got her. It didn't help that her previous owners didn't teach her anything and spoiled her. But after a few sessions we actually got her to do the basics. So, now I'm really encouraged and I believe that both of my dogs could be taught to do more, like fetching things and playing dead.

saizo6, Jan 31, 2012
  6. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I only trick I ever remember having taught any of my dogs was "Sit". Not intentionally actually. Dark Lady, my Dobermann, automatically sits when I raise my voice. Dark Lady can also skid to a halt even when chasing cats when I shout "Stop".

Victor Leigh, Feb 3, 2012
  7. King Browny

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

Years ago I had a Brittany Spaniel named Coco (real name Prince Blanco on his official papers) and he was an extremely patient dog. He not only would sit on command, shake hands and stay when told...if I balanced a dog treat on his nose, he would sit and sit and sit until he got the command "OK!" and he would throw it up and snap it up in his mouth. My terrier mix Bruna would catch tennis balls in her mouth no matter how high they were thrown.

SallyintheValley, Feb 11, 2012
  8. King Browny

Wow! I think that’s great. He seemed to be a real discipline and patient dog and I must say skillful to throw it up towards his mouth and not simply eat the treat and to think that he could balance a dog’s treat on his nose for a long time. How did you train him to do that?

King Browny, Feb 14, 2012
  9. King Browny

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

Actually someone else trained him...I can't take credit. We got him as an adult dog.

SallyintheValley, Feb 14, 2012
  10. King Browny

Oh, I see. But you were able to take it from there. I mean, you were still able to make him do his old tricks. I bet Coco is grateful that you have time to appreciate and make the most of his abilities. :)

King Browny, Feb 14, 2012
  11. King Browny

summerRain Well-Known Member

I guest my new puppy is smart 'cause he knows how to hoard his shampoo bottle. I think he hates taking a bath but he has no choice. We are sleeping at the same bed so I have to clean him every other day.

He just love to roll over every time I tease him with his favorite toy. Maybe I have to start training him with some tricks while he's just a puppy.

summerRain, Feb 15, 2012
  12. King Browny

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

I have taught my Beaudog to roll over, wave, and "break dance." His daughter, Holly, can spin, "twist" (spin in the opposite direction), walk pretty (stand on her hind legs, front paws over head, and hop forward), and dance (walk pretty position, pirouetting in place). Before he died, her brother Cajun could spin, twist, walk backwards, and bow (I called it "enchante' ").

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 16, 2012
  13. King Browny

Break dance! How does Beaudog does that?

King Browny, Feb 17, 2012
  14. King Browny

Break dance? The only kind of break dance I can think of is when my dogs get into a dancing frenzy and starting breaking things. They would run around after each other madly and knock over all kinds of things.

Victor Leigh, Feb 18, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  15. King Browny

*LMAO* You shouldn't be playing dance music for them then. It caused more trouble than entertainment.

Or maybe you can teach them to break dance like having more break than dancing. :D

King Browny, Feb 18, 2012
  16. King Browny

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Beau used to shift from foot to foot and then throw himself down on one shoulder and roll over while spinning in a tight circle. As he's gotten older, the trick has gotten harder, but he still prefers to spin while rolling over. :p

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 19, 2012
  17. King Browny

wils172 Active Member

My oldest dog wil sit, stay, lay, shake on command as well as 'wait' to eat a piece of food until instructed to. I can literally place it on his paw and he won't eat it until I tell him to.

wils172, Mar 2, 2012
  18. King Browny

There's one trick which one of my dogs learned by itself. Dark Lady, my Dobermann, would sit down on her haunches and wait for further orders whenever I raise my voice. I have no idea how she learned this. Maybe it's ingrained in her breeding.

Victor Leigh, Mar 4, 2012
  19. King Browny

kinser Well-Known Member

My Rott/Lab is very intelligent and easy to train - I'm sure he could learn anything. The most recent trick he has learned is "up" where he will sit up on his haunches. We trained him to do this by first teaching "shake" (which he learned extremely quickly as a young puppy). After having him "shake" (with his paw), we would continue holding that paw in one hand while holding a treat above his nose with the other, and tell him "up" while raising the treat up in the air. Eventually he would give his other paw and we would help to raise him up on his haunches. Then he got the treat with lots of praise.

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
  20. King Browny

kinser Well-Known Member

My Rott/Lab is very intelligent and easy to train - I'm sure he could learn anything. The most recent trick he has learned is "up" where he will sit up on his haunches. We trained him to do this by first teaching "shake" (which he learned extremely quickly as a young puppy). After having him "shake" (with his paw), we would continue holding that paw in one hand while holding a treat above his nose with the other, and tell him "up" while raising the treat up in the air. Eventually he would give his other paw and we would help to raise him up on his haunches. Then he got the treat with lots of praise

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
Ask a Question