Dog Training Fees

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by haopee, Apr 6, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Do you have dog trainers where you live? How much do they charge?

In the Philippines, dog training is a rare career which makes people who do such sometimes charge expensive fees for them. I personally train my dog because it's fun but some of my friends have hired trainers to do this kind of job for them.

Three years ago, one of the trainers my friend mentioned had charged 300 php (roughly $8) per session. Each session was for an hour. Now, dog trainers can charge up to 10,000 php (approximately equal to $250) for the entire basic and advance obedience training (off and on leash).

Here's one of the online ads I've read:

Package: Basic Obedience P5,000 Only!!! 15 sessions
    Advanced P5,000 Only!!! 15 sessions
    Protection Training P25,000 Only!!!
    Dog Behavior Modification (Trains dog owners and rehabilitates for dogs with behavior problems) P2000 Only

$1 = P43
    Source

How much does dog training cost where you live?

haopee, Apr 6, 2012
  2. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I am also from the Philippines so basically those amounts you mentioned is also true for me. ;)
    Dog owners here rarely hire a trainer that makes the cost for training expensive since the demand for it is low.

zararina, Apr 7, 2012
  3. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

In Thailand I know one man who owns a gold jewelry shop and trains dogs as a hobby.

He normally asks for something like 300 usd for a three-month course. This is basically to cover the costs of feeding the dog. If you want him to teach your dog how to attack on command, then it's another 100 usd extra because he has to pay someone to play the role of the intruder. He insists on having a look at the dog to assess its trainability before he accepts the job.

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
  4. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

That is odd. Protection training is being charged more. Although I'm not sure if protection training here in the Philippines also includes basic obedience courses, I think since the profession is rare, the per hour session charge is quite high- even when the demand is low.

One more thing I've discovered is that there's also a local Dog Whisperer here in the Philippines, which is interesting.

haopee, Apr 9, 2012
  5. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've never actually used a trainer. We've always done the basic training ourselves. I can only imagine what kind of crazy prices it'd be here, though, because even just having them watched over night at a kennel is super expensive, and that doesn't take much.

Jessi, Apr 13, 2012
  6. haopee

kinser Well-Known Member

I live in the U.S., and dog trainers are pretty pricey. I hired one for an hour and 1/2 session, and he charged me around $60. I decided to do the rest of the training myself. If I could afford it, however, it would be nice to have a professional do some intensive training. You must be careful, though - some trainers can be pretty rough on dogs, depending on what they're training theories and methods are.

kinser, Apr 16, 2012
  7. haopee

MakingCents Well-Known Member

The trainer we use charges about $50 a session but we're gettin g adeal because he knows how much difficulty we've had with our crazy boy.

MakingCents, Apr 17, 2012
Ask a Question