Dog Toys Under The Bed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by teamrose, Oct 26, 2012.

1. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

I have hard wood floors in my bedroom and 2 times this morning (4:30 am) the dog slides his ball under the bed.
    My dog is OCD with the ball, so this caused so much drama until I crawled under to get that darn thing. Then not 15 minutes later I am walking and nudge my sandals under the bed!! UGH - My pet peeve today is hard wood floors that allow for things to SLIDE under the bed with little effort! ha I hate carpet but sometimes I hate those floors!!
    Why can't dogs fetch under the bed.

teamrose, Oct 26, 2012
  2. teamrose

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!! That's why I put down rugs in key places on hard wood floors. One of those "key places" being at the edge of the bed to step down on, which also prevents some things from accidentally sliding under. It wouldn't help the ball too much, but it would've helped your slippers!

Jessi, Oct 27, 2012
  3. teamrose

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, this is my life exac tly. Balls, kongs or even tiny pieces of food, all end up under the couch,t ables, or beds And he sits there and freaks out until one of us helps him get it. Be happy you have the wood floors, he's destroyed the carpet around our bed scratching at it.

MakingCents, Oct 27, 2012
  4. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

I didn't want to mention the scratched up floor. We've had it refinished 3 times. I can't bring myself to get rid of the hardwood or the dog.

teamrose, Oct 27, 2012
  5. teamrose

Melody Well-Known Member

We have hardwood floors only in the kitchen and dining area. The rest is carpeted. However, sometimes I make an errant throw and the toy goes onto the hardwood floor. Misha runs to the edge of the carpet and skids to a halt. Then, she stares at the toy as if the floor is filled with water and insurmountable. She has no problem walking on the hardwood floor any other time. Sometimes she will make me get it. Other times, she will venture out very slowly, then snatch her toy. I think she must have crashed once running across it. She does not forget her injuries easily.

Thankfully, she is not tennis ball dog. Our games of fetch consist of 3 to 5 throws, then she looks at me as if to say "You don't expect me to get that, do you?"

Melody, Oct 27, 2012
  6. teamrose

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Yes, hard wood floors are beautiful, I love the look of them. Yet are they practical when it comes to owning a dog. I live in a home that has no hard wood floors, yet I would love to have them. But with my two dogs this will no doubt be an issue. I'm glad you brought this up, it is certainly something to think about.

pafjlh, Oct 27, 2012
  7. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

It is not practical having the hardwood floors and a dog. Even with small dogs, their nails will ruin the floors. We are constantly buffing and shinning our floors. The floors were a big selling feature of the house, and we do plan on moving in a couple of years and don't want to destroy the look of the house.

teamrose, Oct 27, 2012
  8. teamrose

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer always wants me to move the couch when he sniffs that something is under it. He doesn't accept the answer 'no', he probably doesn't believe that I'm too weak to move the furniture:p . We always end up looking for somebody stronger;)

claudine, Oct 27, 2012
  9. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

It's amazing how are pets are able to train us.

teamrose, Oct 27, 2012
  10. teamrose

Laminate floors are really teh best. Doggy 'accidents' are easily cleaned but their nails don't destroy the floors.

MakingCents, Oct 28, 2012
  11. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

I'm okay with laminate, but we are not going to tear up our hardwood floors and put down laminate. The dogs would have to go first and of course that ain't happening either.:)

teamrose, Oct 28, 2012
  12. teamrose

Melody Well-Known Member

My brother's house is all hardwood floors. They tore out the carpeting because of the dogs. He says it's easier because you don't have to worry about carpet stains. So, I guess it depends on your perspective.

Melody, Oct 28, 2012
  13. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

Urine seeps into wood and is a pistol to get it out. Not so often now the dogs are at least potty trained No they don't use our toilet, they ask to go out. Believe it or not Febreze is great on urine odor. We have bottles in 3 rooms.

teamrose, Oct 28, 2012
  14. teamrose

haopee Well-Known Member

I know! It took me multiple Baking Soda sprinkles before I was able to remove the scent of Urine on our wooden floor. I eventually placed a temporary plastic cover on it so that they'd stop peeing on it.

I'm glad my dogs don't go bonkers when their toys slide under the cabinets. They'll just stare at it and try to claw it out. If that doesn't work, they turn their heads and walk away.:)

haopee, Oct 29, 2012
  15. teamrose

Urine doesn't come out of carpet either. I have the $5000 new carpet in the entire house bill to prove it. Hopefully he doesnt' return to his nasty habits :(

MakingCents, Oct 30, 2012
Ask a Question