Dog tax

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

I was in the Netherlands a few weeks ago, my future mother in law told me that everyone over there has to pay a tax each year for every dog they have. If I'm not mistaken they charge you 70 euros for each dog you have. I think this is great, because people will think it twice before adopting a dog, and I believe that's why they have no strays roaming in their streets!

They also neuter their pets, it's actually rare to meet someone who has a dog that isn't neutered (because they know if they get more dogs they will have to pay even more no taxes). I was wondering... what if they started doing the same here? Charging a tax for each dog you own? Would we have less strays? What do you think!

Trellum, Mar 24, 2014
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

I also think that it is a good thing since it could also mean that you will not have dogs that you cannot afford or take care (no hoarding). Also those taxes could be used as funds for animal welfare.

zararina, Mar 24, 2014
  3. Trellum

Exactly! I think this would prevent all those terrible cases of animal hoarding... and people would think twice before buying a dog from a breeder, because they'd know it would cost them in the long run. That I think would slow down things for breeders (they're the biggest menace and reason there are so many stray dogs out there). I'd be so glad to see all those puppy mills go.

Trellum, Mar 25, 2014
  4. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

In my country, we have to pay a tax each year for every dog we have too. I know that my parents pay for Homer. It doesn't cost much though. On one hand, I think that is a good idea. On the other, I think that keeping a dog is quite expensive. One of my neighbors is an old lady. She spends most of her pension on her dog, because she loves him very much. I heard that she can't afford buying meat for herself. It's kind of unfair that she has to pay the tax too.

claudine, Mar 25, 2014
  5. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

The Netherlands is a progressive country on a number of things and this is one of them. In a way getting a dog license is a form of a dog or cat tax. More countries, especially the US need to be stricter in terms of getting pets spayed or neutered. There is no need for anymore unwanted dogs and cats.

firelily99, Mar 25, 2014
  6. Trellum

Firelily, not many people get a dog license and the tax in the Netherlands needs to be paid every year or else you face penalties. Also EVERYONE is obliged to pay tax for their dogs there, no exceptions like in the states that there are some rules that aren't even reinforced. I was shocked to see streets free from stray dogs! Where I live a stray dog is the mot common thing to see.

Trellum, Apr 4, 2014
  7. Trellum

Jessi Well-Known Member

If they tried to do something like this in the States, it would get mostly ignored, I think. Too many people have pets that they don't even get vaccinated and most aren't going to be registered anywhere, so it would be hard to "prove" and therefore, enforce. It would be based entirely upon people admitting they had dogs and the ones who are doing that, are also the ones who aren't really going to be letting their dogs run wild or left un-neutered, etc anyway.

Jessi, Apr 9, 2014
Ask a Question