Dog survives mushroom poisoning

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

This is such an amazing story that I have to share it. Not only is it great news for dogs, but the treatment may help humans, too.

A dog owner brought in their dog because it was vomiting and lethargic. The veterinarian ran tests and confirmed the dog had eaten death cap mushrooms. I'm not sure if these grow worldwide. They are in North America and they are deadly. People rarely survive unless treated immediately after ingestion. Animals never survive because by the time the symptoms show up it's too late.

The veterinarian made phone calls and found out that there is an experimental treatment being used on humans where they siphon the poison slowly from the gall bladder using a drainage tube. It takes two weeks. They knew a dog would not tolerate the treatment, so they modified it. They used a needle and syringe to drain the gall bladder.

This is the first time this procedure has been done on anyone. And, it worked! The dog had the procedure over two weeks ago. He is home, healthy, and running around like normal.

There is an antidote drug but so far it has only been used on humans. It wasn't available for this dog. This new procedure could mean draining tube procedure will not be necessary. This medical breakthrough may end up helping everyone.

We usually have a couple of cases of death cap mushroom poisoning in California each year. Often it is immigrants who walk in the hills. They see these mushrooms which look like common varieties back home. The death cap looks similar to white button mushrooms and other common white mushrooms. People think because they ate mushrooms in the wild in their old home town, it is okay to do so here, too. It's great to know we have ways to treat them now.

Here is the story:
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/daily-...ley-dog-poisoned-by-death-cap-mushrooms-saved

Melody, Jul 17, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not have such mushroom here since almost all places are cemented already.
    Good thing to know that there is a cure or solution that really works for it. Thanks for sharing the link. ;)

zararina, Jul 22, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Zararina, I never thought that people would live places where their weren't mushrooms. Of course, if your area is cemented they'll have no place to grow.

I am fighting them in the backyard right now. We have four different varieties growing in the back lawn. I try to pull them out as soon as I can because Misha likes to roll in the grass. As she is doing it, she pulls the grass out and eats it. We have some tiny reddish brown mushrooms that she could get and I wouldn't know it. I have no idea if any of these are poisonous, but I don't want to take a chance.

Melody, Jul 23, 2012
Ask a Question