Dog shows

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by zararina, Jan 9, 2012.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

Have you watched a dog show personally? Had you enjoyed it?

I have not watched any dog show personally and just watched on TV or online. I think dog shows are nice specially if they are not forcing the pets to do a show. Some dogs would really enjoy it.:)

zararina, Jan 9, 2012
  2. zararina

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I've never been to a dog show but I do love watching them on TV. I like to see the different breeds of dogs and learn all about them. I will probably always have mixed breed rescues but the dog shows help me to pick which type of breed traits I like to look for :)

MakingCents, Jan 9, 2012
  3. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Haven't watched any dog shows. Watched lots of movies about dogs, though. As part of my research writing articles for moviestarpets.

Victor Leigh, Jan 9, 2012
  4. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

Normally, I would see dog shows in movies and television. There are also dog show’s meant to raise funds for animal concerns and other charities. It’s wonderful how dogs however unaware they are are also helping out their kind and the needy people.

King Browny, Jan 13, 2012
  5. zararina

Nick87 Well-Known Member

The dog shows with the fancy full breed sort of things actually tend to bore me too much to watch on tv.

Nick87, Jan 14, 2012
  6. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

In that case, I would recommend that you watch the movie "Best in Show". Watching the owners of the show dogs was much more entertaining than watching the dogs themselves.

Victor Leigh, Jan 14, 2012
  7. zararina

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes. I have. I used to date a handler. He used to have these magazines with all the schedules of all the dog shows held in our city and I would go to them and see him with a Whippet or a Doberman or a Dachshund. Most of the dogs he's showed wasn't his own. The owners would just entrust the dogs with him and he'll attend the shows for them.

The last one I've seen was last year. It was held inside a mall which made the air conditioned mall smell like... a dog dome. There were Shih-Tzus, Labradors, Bulldogs, Beagles and Dachshunds. It depended on the category. I still love going to those types of shows.

haopee, Mar 19, 2012
  8. zararina

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

I've participated in many dog shows in the last decade or so. What people see on television is only the tip of the iceberg, since it would be too involved to show the entire show and all of the breed judging. It's really too bad, since it's the breed judging, in my opinion, that is the interesting part. It's in the breed judging where the spectator gets to compare several to many representatives of a single breed and truly begin to understand the similarities and the differences of those dogs. With the exception of a few breeds that have nearly identical markings or coloration, the variation between dogs even as the breed type remains similar between them is amazing. Take a line up of yellow Labradors or even Golden Retrievers and the variation can be surprising: colors can range from pale cream to burnished gold or nearly red and still all be correct, dogs can range along the height scale by a variation of five or six entire inches at the shoulder, and male dogs can differ significantly from female dogs in terms of type.

The vast majority of dogs at a dog show love showing and want to be there. They get a ton of individual attention while they are on the show circuit and the treats can't be beat. Show dogs that are also pets get a chance to travel with their owners and experience new things and new places on a frequent basis, allowing them to become highly socialized and well-rounded. Dogs that travel with handlers usually have junior handlers to hang with and get attention from, since handlers usually employ one or more juniors to help them at shows.

Conformation show dogs are rarely "just" conformation show dogs. While there are some breeders who collect show championships and sell their finished champions immediately upon finishing only to start with a new dog, the vast majority keep their dogs as pets or compete with them in other venues or they keep them on hand for a while to see if they want to breed another generation from them. I have one dual champion (AKC and UKC) and several UKC champions with AKC points. My dogs are also trained/training in Rally Obedience, traditional obedience, and agility--and we'll be doing some tracking later this year. A number of show dogs are also therapy dogs or herding or tracking dogs. I know someone who has some rough collies that she shows, but that she also does search and rescue with--and a Toy Fox Terrier breeder who does the same with her dogs. You'd be surprised at what you *don't* see in terms of the showing world, just because there's no time to show it on camera.

LoupGarouTFTs, Mar 20, 2012
Ask a Question