Dog Saves Owner's Life with the Heimlich Maneuver

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

by Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell | Pet360.com

[​IMG]

A Springer Spaniel named Mollypops is enjoying a new squeaky chicken and some treats of her own for saving her dog mom's life in a most unusual way.

Rachel Hayes just ate a piece of hard candy, which lodged in her throat. Choking, coughing and not able to talk, Mollypops came up from behind the woman and hit her in the back so hard that it dislodged the treat, in effect performing the Heimlich maneuver.

According to the U.K's the Mirror, Hayes sat down at her kitchen table and popped a strawberry candy into her mouth. When she knew she was in trouble, she said her dog kept coming up to her, but she kept pushing Mollypops away.

"I was having difficulty breathing but Mollypops' sixth sense kicked in and she knew I was in trouble," Hayes said.

After the rescue, Hayes said she was crying and shaking because she thought she was going to die.

"I just burst out crying and said, 'I love you.' She came over for a cuddle and I cuddled her. I told her she was a hero," Hayes said. "I think she's glad to have me alive, otherwise she would have been left all on her own. But I don't think she knows quite what she has done."

It's very possible Mollypops knew what was happening. There have been studies conducted in which dogs sense a human is in distress and rush up to put paws on the person's shoulder.

In a study conducted at the University of London, 18 dogs were filmed with their owners. In 15 instances, the dogs reacted to their human's crying.

One of the dogs, an 8-month-old Labrador retriever, went up to his human when he heard her pretend to cry and put his paw on her shoulder.

The dogs approached in a submissive way suggesting they were offering comfort and empathy, researchers said.

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/dog-saves-owners-life-heimlich-maneuver-154900058.html

Trellum, Mar 25, 2014
    claudine likes this.
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

This is an amazing story! Mollypops must be a very intelligent and loving dog. How is it possible that she knew how to help her owner? Dogs will never stop surprising us, I think.
    My Homer is tiny and he couldn't do much, yet, I always feel safe when he's around;)

claudine, Mar 25, 2014
  3. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

I have read various stories of dogs saving their owners lives and this one is one of those amazing stories. Dog doing the Heimlich maneuver is cool! :D

zararina, Mar 25, 2014
  4. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Wow, I got chills reading that! Dogs are amazing creatures and Mollypops is incredible. Thanks for sharing that story with us, it made my morning much better!

firelily99, Mar 25, 2014
  5. Trellum

Yeah, this dog it is amazing. To be honest this s the first time I heard about something like this. Not everyday you read about a dog using the heimlich maneuver to save its owner ;) Dogs are just amazing, dog haters don't know what they are missing!

Trellum, Apr 9, 2014
  6. Trellum

Yeah, if I were the owner of that dog I would surely give that dog a royal treatment! For real! I still find amazing how the dog knew what it had to do. He hit the back of her owner so hard it help her get rid of that piece of candy that was choking her. Just amazing!

Trellum, Apr 9, 2014
Ask a Question