Dog jumps on table to get food

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by bellahpereira, Oct 11, 2012.

1. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

My dog has the habit of stealing food off the table, and one day I caught it on video.

Enjoy :)

bellahpereira, Oct 11, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  2. bellahpereira

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!

Well I'm really glad that she (he?) made it across. After seeing your dog hesitate for that long, I got really nervous for the jump itself. That wouldn't have felt so great if she missed.

Jessi, Oct 11, 2012
  3. bellahpereira

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Woah! Nice jump. So that's why the food keeps disappearing! I don't think Trixie could jump that high. She's about 10 inches tall.

pilot2fly, Oct 11, 2012
  4. bellahpereira

Melody Well-Known Member

Sierra was a thief, but she never got on the table. Of course, she was much taller at 75 lbs. She could reach most of what she wanted easily.

No, this is what my brother's Mini Pinscher's do. They are used to sitting in the kitchen chairs. The older one likes to sit behind you. What I didn't know the one time I took care of them is that they will jump up on the table to get food.

I remember that I was eating breakfast. I got up to open the sliding door to let the dogs in. As I was closing the door, the male Mini Pinscher hopped up on the table and was eating out of my cereal bowl! I walked over and caught him red pawed...or rather with soy milk dripping from his chin. Boy, was he in trouble!

Melody, Oct 12, 2012
    bellahpereira likes this.
  5. bellahpereira

claudine Well-Known Member

Your dog is just adorable!!! And so courageous:p . And really loves to eat - just like my dog, he likes stealing my food too:p . It's a very cute video:D .

claudine, Oct 12, 2012
  6. bellahpereira

Lol, yeah I agree. It would have been awful if he missed the table completely. But he's had practice. He's been making that jump for about a year now. I keep trying to move the arm chair over so that he won't be able to make it, but he doesn't give up. He practices every day. I have a weird dog, lol.

bellahpereira, Oct 13, 2012
  7. bellahpereira

Haha, I didn't think my dog could do it either! I was really surprised when I discovered this talent, especially since he has trouble jumping onto my bed in the morning.

bellahpereira, Oct 13, 2012
  8. bellahpereira

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Yeah, our dog doesn't really get the chance to jump anywhere. She used to be able to jump on a 1.5 foot tall foot stool pretty easily. Now a days, she lays around a lot.

pilot2fly, Oct 13, 2012
  9. bellahpereira

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

Hehe! That is adorable! It may be annoying to you, but it's so cute! lol. My dog would be in big trouble if she tried stealing food from the table. However, she is a fairly large dog and would gobble the entire meal down in about two seconds. She has never actually stolen anything from the table, but I wouldn't trust her. I always make sure that there isn't anything out on the table when she is in the kitchen.

dashboardc33, Oct 14, 2012
  10. bellahpereira

Haha, thank you! I'm quite lucky that he's such a small dog or else this video would be tragic and not cute :p. And yes, I've had to get into the habit of making sure that there isn't anything on the table too or else I won't be seeing it every again :p ! I assume having a dog is much like having a child, constantly needing to be thought of in case they can reach anything! :p

bellahpereira, Oct 15, 2012
  11. bellahpereira

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he hesitated that much, it wasn't that far of a jump really. Maybe he was worried about getting busted.

OhioTom76, Oct 18, 2012
  12. bellahpereira

I think he has an issue jumping, and hence the hesitation. I didn't expect him to take that long to jump either but I think he has a fear of falling, lol. He has issues jumping on my bed too, it's the cutest thing. I'm just glad he landed this jump and didn't fail like he does with chairs, the sofa and my bed, lol. And yes, I'd say he was slightly worried about getting busted. We don't like this kind of behaviour - obviously because of the danger if he falls - but he doesn't get in trouble as much as we just say 'no' in a slightly angry tone and he hides for about an hour, lol.

bellahpereira, Oct 18, 2012
  13. bellahpereira

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lmao!

Well in that case....

I wonder how many times he has attempted that same jump on the table and failed instead. If he doesn't give up with the chairs and whatnot, chances are he has probably fallen when trying to jump on the table, too, but just hasn't given up, huh?

Jessi, Oct 18, 2012
  14. bellahpereira

LOL probably. It's impossible to watch him all the time - although sometimes I feel like I should. Today I caught him trying to get INTO the dryer while I was doing my laundry... I think he's a very curious dog that doesn't know when to stop :p

bellahpereira, Oct 19, 2012
  15. bellahpereira

Jessi Well-Known Member

I saw this and immediately thought of your dog:

[​IMG]

Things could've been way worse for him, huh? Oops!

Jessi, Oct 23, 2012
  16. bellahpereira

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Boy this dog really has this down to a science doesn't he, LOL. Have to hand it to him to figure out a way to get to the table to get to the food. No doubt you suspected him of taking the food but probably couldn't figure out how he could possibly get to the table because of his size. Well, now you know that is one devious little dog you have.

pafjlh, Oct 23, 2012
  17. bellahpereira

Yes! It could have been a lot more like that, lol. I think Rafa might have a little more practice than this cat though. Although, I think the cat was jumping from a further distance, :p

I showed this video to Rafa and he spent a good amount of time barking at the cat in it, :p He doesn't play well with others :p

bellahpereira, Nov 5, 2012
  18. bellahpereira

LOL yes, I think he's spent many hours trying to figure out how to get onto the table. I did think it was him, and so I moved the couch further back so he'd have a harder time jumping onto the table but he figured out how to push the chairs back so even if I take out the couch, he's got chairs. This dog will do anything to get at some extra food, :p

bellahpereira, Nov 5, 2012
  19. bellahpereira

Nick87 Well-Known Member

That is one smart dog, lol. You might have to catch him in action to scare him from doing it again.

Nick87, Nov 7, 2012
  20. bellahpereira

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I don't think it's good to let a dog steal food. One, it makes the dog feel guilty. Two, you get unexpected and unpleasant surprises. It's so much better to keep all food locked up securely if the dog is free ranging inside the house.

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
Ask a Question