Dog is starting to get cross with age/living situation?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by lifeliveson, Mar 19, 2013.

1. lifeliveson

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

I have a chihuaha pomeranian pug who was always happy go lucky. I got him when he was about one years old. I think he was in an abused home because he was very tired and scared at first then turned into a happy go lucky loving dog. My boyfriend and I broke up and I moved out and took the dogs with me, and now he seems to growl and snap more. When hes tired, when he sees other dogs, when he sees kids. Not something he used to do at all. So it makes me wonder, is it because hes growing up? confused about living situation? Unhappy or ... what would be the reasons? and the best course of action to help fix this issue.

lifeliveson, Mar 19, 2013
  2. lifeliveson

haopee Well-Known Member

Quick question, back when you and your boyfriend were together, did they follow him around? Was he like their "pack leader"?

You see, if a dog's behavior changes after something eventful, you should try to figure out what changed? Did your boyfriend walk them? Did he play with them? Was he the one to correct them when they did something wrong?

Not to worry though, because if it's as simple as that, then you can learn to be the leader to take that role.

You'll need to allot some time to exercising them (meaning WALKS). This releases their pent up energy. Also, dogs like structure in their life. So if you see him growl at other dogs or even kids, you have to correct it by either saying a firm "No" or if he's on a leash, tugging on it sharply (to jolt and distract but not to hurt) and saying "No" or "TSST" (like how Cesar Milan does).

But don't forget to reward good behavior too.

haopee, Mar 20, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. lifeliveson

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

He I guess you could say was the back leader, they loved and followed me equally, but he was the one that taught them lessons and disciplined them, we were equal on the taking out and walks. Ive tried the tsst didnt really work, however, I havent been all to firm so I would have to be more fir and consistent with it.

lifeliveson, Mar 20, 2013
  4. lifeliveson

trishgl Well-Known Member

Dogs are like kids, you need to be consistent with them otherwise they get confused with what behavior is acceptable. Another thing our dogs share with kids is that they need a routine. Has anything changed with your routine like the time you are able to walk him, the amount of exercise he gets? Dogs tend to misbehave when they don't get enough exercise so you really have to drain their excess energy. Is your dog able to socialize? Try to figure out what you are doing differently.

trishgl, Mar 21, 2013
  5. lifeliveson

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Sounds like your dogs are missing their pack leader then. So what you have to do now is become the new pack leader. Take the dogs out for walks. Make sure they know who's in charge. This will take some time to sink in, though.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2013
  6. lifeliveson

haopee Well-Known Member

Well, that's good news. Seeing as the problem can be remedied, I am sure they'll be back to their old obedient selves in no time. Just remember to be firm in disciplining and correction. Also, timing is everything. So, when you do corrections, make sure to catch them in action as much as possible.

Try not to shout when they are mad too. While men usually have deep rumbling voices (that when they so No it can sound like thunder), women's voices can sound out like shrilling cars. That said, shouting can further excite the dogs thereby worsening the behavior.

haopee, Mar 25, 2013
  7. lifeliveson

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sounds like it's because of the home dynamic change. Remain consistent with your discipline. Give him extra attention for a while. Give him a "safe place" such as something that he's always loved and away from any noise (like a bed with his favorite toy, tucked away in another room, so he can feel like there's a spot just for him).

Jessi, Mar 25, 2013
  8. lifeliveson

claudine Well-Known Member

I think that your dog misses your ex, they lived in the same house, so it's not strange at all. I think that he just needs some time - and a lot of attention. Stroke him, walk him and play with him - I'm sure he'll feel better soon:)

claudine, Apr 10, 2013
  9. lifeliveson

zararina Well-Known Member

I think it could be the change of surrounding and the situation. I agree that it is better to bond with your dogs more and let them know your in command now.

zararina, Apr 11, 2013
Ask a Question