Dog eats to fast

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by wahmed, Mar 19, 2015.

1. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

Max eats too fast. It worries me that it will get lodged in his throat. I started putting a ball in the bowl. It really helped

wahmed, Mar 19, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  2. wahmed

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer eats really fast too, but I always thought it's normal. He can empty his bowl in less than one minute. Food is his biggest love;)

claudine, Mar 19, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  3. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

I think food is a dogs best friend. But I just worry about food getting stuck in his throat and Mr not figuring it out until its way to late.

wahmed, Mar 23, 2015
  4. wahmed

digitalsatori Member

What about using a large muffin/cupcake tin? That way, he'll have a few 'little' bowls, rather than one large big one, which will force him to stop for a few moments to move from one to the other.

There are also bowls that have plastic obstructions that won't allow him to scarf down his food. Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fast-Food-Slow-Feed-Bowl/dp/B000PE30MQ/

digitalsatori, Mar 23, 2015
  5. wahmed

This sounds like a really good idea, Digitalsatori! I sometimes put some of Homer's food on the floor, around his bowl. Finding it always takes him some time:)

claudine, Mar 24, 2015
  6. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

That us actually a really good idea. I had never thought if that. I'm going to hear out and get a colorful one tomorrow

wahmed, Mar 25, 2015
  7. wahmed

Winterybella Well-Known Member

This is such useful information. Ginger the puppy is a super fast eater. I thought Zola the one with some Jack Russell in her was the really fast eater until this little one came along. She is just fast with everything.

Winterybella, Mar 27, 2015
  8. wahmed

Trellum Well-Known Member

Don't worry, some dogs eat a little too fast, but that shouldn't be a problem if you are not giving thme food that is too big or too hard.

Trellum, Jun 8, 2015
  9. wahmed

Ginger has just taken over with the whole food thing. It's with Usain Bolt speed that she eats EVERYTHING...I mean EVERYTHING. When she is done eating she'll try to help the others but my Remy who is slow in every sense of the word won't allow it. She'll growl and Ginger with same lightning speed has to retreat.

Winterybella, Jun 9, 2015
  10. wahmed

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, well, I am glad Remy doesn't let Ginger do as she pleases, at least not when it comes to eating her food ;) We had a dog we were fostering, it had been living in the street and she literally caught food in the air, lol. Leaving the other poor dog desperate, lol. A dog that was sooo picky with food he first had to smell it and if he didn't like it he'd just pee on it, lol. That dog found itself competing against that other dog... yes, catching things in the air too, lol!!!!!

Trellum, Jun 10, 2015
  11. wahmed

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Try feeding him more often. Maybe spread the food out through the day. Once he is convinced he isnt hungry and starving he should slow down.

LilAnn, Jun 16, 2015
  12. wahmed

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone eats too fast too, and I used to put a golf ball in the middle of his bowl to slow him down. It worked for a while, and now that he is older, I just let him eat however he wants.

IcyBC, Jul 24, 2015
  13. wahmed

I don't think a golf ball would stop Homer from eating fast;) Nothing can stop him from doing it:p
    No one has ever tries to steal his food, I don't understand why he's always in such a hurry.

claudine, Jul 24, 2015
  14. wahmed

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I know, he is the only dog in the house, so I don't understand either! He acts as if he doesn't eat fast, the food will be gone, but he should have think the opposite of that, haha..Now, I just let him eats however he wants :)

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2015
  15. wahmed

danielle davidson Active Member

My dog Remy is the same way. It might take him all of 30 seconds to eat his food. I always thought that maybe it was just him, but I am glad to know that it's not. The only thing that I don't know if other dogs do, is he is very protective over his food. If he has any food and you go near him then he will bite you. I'm not sure why he is like this, but we think it might be because he didn't get much food when he lived with the person who bred him. So, I don't know why he is like that.

danielle davidson, Jul 26, 2015
  16. wahmed

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Do you keep food out all the time? Thats what I did and mine slowed down. I had to feed them their usual serving. Then I fed them a 2nd time immediately afterwards. They ate until the were really full. I've kept food in their bowls all the time, since then. They know that it doesn't matter how fast they eat, or if anyone eats, they'll always have food. Feeding them leftovers is a different story, though. They'll go primal over some hamburger helper.

LilAnn, Jul 26, 2015
  17. wahmed

Johanna Well-Known Member

PHEW!! I thought I was alone lol!!! Mine a right scoffer

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
  18. wahmed

I have one that I am still trying to slow down. I don't know what to do with her. She does everything quickly.

Winterybella, Mar 31, 2016
  19. wahmed

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This thread seems to pertain to Pipoy, our hyperactive pug. He has that bad eating habit of not chewing the food. It looks like he just swallows the food. It may be just fine but the bad effect is that he throws up after eating. He vomits the food that are half-digested. Pipoy was like that since he was a puppy and now he is already 3 years old. What we did was to cut the volume of food into half and the feeding has a gap of 5 minutes. In other words, he would eat half of his lunch now and the other half is given after 5 minutes otherwise he would vomit.

Corzhens, Mar 31, 2016
Ask a Question