Dog Crates

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Pocs, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

Both of my boys were introduced to a dog crate for house training purposes and occasionally I would use it for a safe house when small children would visit. Recently I have been hearing that the crates were inhumane for pets. I disagree with this thinking, for me it was a invaluable learning tool. Of course if you kept your dog in the crate for hours on in on a daily basis, absolutely that's inhumane and neglect. I'm sure others think differently than I do about them, they are in fact pens of a sort, if you look at them in that way. What are your views?

Pocs, Aug 2, 2012
  2. Pocs

Melody Well-Known Member

I do not believe crates are inhumane. I think the people who say that don't understand how they are used. They see a dog locked up and think there is something mean about that.

I've crated both my dogs. What I have found is that they like having a place to go at night. The crate becomes their safe place. It makes housebreaking them easier as well.

I crated my Lab for the first year and a half. Then, transitioned her to a bed when she was out of the destructive stage.

Misha is 3 and she still sleeps in a crate. But, it's a large crate and fits her bed and blanket inside. She can move around very easily. At night, she goes in willingly.

The reason I still crate her is that my Mom and I get up at different times. My Mom gets up at 6 am and likes to have her quiet time. I don't get up until 8. So, this insures Misha stays in bed until I'm ready. Lately, I've been leaving the door unlocked. I may begin to leave it open just to see how she does.

Melody, Aug 2, 2012
  3. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

After house training, I rarely use my crates. My dogs are spoiled, they like to sleep with me, no change that, they let me sleep with them. I have used it for time to for varies reasons, just to keep the familiar with them. I think of them of a tool for learning and their special place.

Pocs, Aug 2, 2012
Ask a Question