Dog Constantly Licking

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by quitetenacious, Nov 30, 2011.

1. quitetenacious

quitetenacious New Member

I have a dog that is constantly licking. He is always licking his paws, his body, or just even making licking motions towards the air. I have tried everything to get him to stop. I have ruled out parasites so I know this is not the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

quitetenacious, Nov 30, 2011
  2. quitetenacious

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Licking can be from boredom, sores, broken toenails, or allergies. It is even a symptom of nervousness or something like an obsessive-compulsive disorder. Your first effort should be to rule out anything physical. Sores or toenails are bad, but they can be easily corrected. Check between the toes for things that might get caught between the two of them. No kidding, but sniff his feet. If they smell like corn chips, he might have too much corn in his food and many dogs are allergic to corn. If those things aren't the cause of his licking, then consider changing his food to a totally grain-free food and/or having the vet check him for active allergies. Good luck to both of you--he can't be very happy to be licking all of the time, poor kid, and you must be at wits end trying to figure it out.

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 1, 2011
  3. quitetenacious

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog licks all the time too and I think it's from nerves. He is an extremely nervous dogs with a bonafide anxiety disorder. If you've been able to rule out allergies I would guess it's either boredom or a nervous habit. If you figure out how to stop it though then please pass the information along!

MakingCents, Dec 2, 2011
  4. quitetenacious

I am going to try changing his food to one containing no corn, gluten, or soy. I was at the pet store the other day looking for oatmeal shampoo thinking maybe he just had dry skin even though he's not really scratching. The guy at the store advised it might be his food. I have only had the 12 year old dog since October, the former owner had the same problems and I think that may have been one of the reasons he got rid of him. I did smell his toes and spread them apart so aparently that is not the source. The store clerk recommended Professional brand dog food as it is totally free of the ingredients most likely to be causing his problem. I will see how it goes and update.

quitetenacious, Dec 4, 2011
  5. quitetenacious

amy005 Well-Known Member

My dog licks and scratches himself a lot too. He does not lick the air though! I honestly don't really worry about it because I know that it is common for dogs to lick themselves.. this actually seemed a little silly to me at first when I read your thread. But I guess if it really bothers you that much then it can be a problem.

amy005, Dec 16, 2011
  6. quitetenacious

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Did you check out his tongue? It may be something on his tongue and he's trying to get rid of it by licking. Just a random guess, though.

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  7. quitetenacious

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

My dog does that a lot to, but he mostly does it after he eats. Have you checked your dog for any cuts, scratches or anything like that. I hope it works out, you might need to take him to the vet.

wahcashmom, Dec 22, 2011
  8. quitetenacious

Okay so several weeks on the specialty dog food and all is well. No more excessive licking or scratching. Apparentlly this solved the problem, he must have had an allergy to something in his original food. It was well worth the investment. I think it was $18 for a 20lb bag so that isn't too terrible especially considering he is a smaller dog.

quitetenacious, Dec 27, 2011
  9. quitetenacious

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I am so glad to hear that the specialty dog food solved his problems. Allergies are always the first thing I look for if my dog's behavior changes rapidly. I would think that a more expensive food usually requires less feeding too. At least with my dog.

MakingCents, Dec 28, 2011
  10. quitetenacious

aimend13 Active Member

Well it's good to know that his problem is solved! My dog has a tendency to lick too, but it doesn't really bother us all that much anymore. She mostly licks strange things though like our pant legs or the couch.

aimend13, Jan 2, 2012
Ask a Question