Dog breed trends/popularity

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Jessi, May 2, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's the link to the bigger picture if you can't zoom in to read that very well: http://graphjam.memebase.com/2012/04/23/funny-graphs-dog-breed-infographic/

Keep in mind this is for the US, so if you're from somewhere else, is this similar to yours at all?

I think it's no surprise that Labs are up top and the top few in general seemed to stay steady, but some of the others changed spots quite a bit!

Jessi, May 2, 2012
  2. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not think it is similar on here.
    Mixed breeds are common here or increasing in number so probably in will be on the top in here. For pure breeds, I think our local dog which is Aspin is number one and then labrador. ;)

zararina, May 2, 2012
  3. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I don't have the figures for Malaysia or for Thailand. However going by what I see, in Thailand, the trend is towards toy dogs like the Shih Tzu whereas in Malaysia the trend is towards big guard dogs like the German Shepherd.

Victor Leigh, May 3, 2012
  4. Jessi

kinser Well-Known Member

I have the top two (my Lab is only half-Lab, though) and I live in the U.S., so I guess I'm just a trendy girl. I really don't see too many other German shepherds around even though they're #2. I see a ton of Labs.

kinser, May 6, 2012
  5. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

No Samoyeds? Then again, until I adopted my little darling, I didn't know anything about the breed...I do believe they're rather uncommon where I live. One would even say they are rare. I suppose it's the same for US.

NewDCD, May 15, 2012
  6. Jessi

Samoyed? Is this what you are thinking about?
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 15, 2012
  7. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Yeah! My little girl is a Samoyed, and since she's my first dog, I really, REALLY love Samoyeds. They really seem to be smiling all the time!

NewDCD, May 17, 2012
  8. Jessi

There's actually one dog breed which is said to really know how to laugh. It's the Berger Picard. One of them starred in the movie Because of Winn Dixie.
    [​IMG]

More information here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berger_Picard

Victor Leigh, May 19, 2012
  9. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Yorkies aren't on the top on this list. I guess they aren't as popular in US as they are here. In my area Yorkies are everywhere and I find it adorable because I love looking at them:D

claudine, Feb 24, 2013
  10. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

Well I'm not surprised my dog isn't on that list. Irresponsible owners have caused Pit bulls to get a bad rap.

shdws, Feb 28, 2013
  11. Jessi

I agree - when there are problems with a dog, it's usually his owner's fault and breed has nothing to do with it. Of course some dogs are stronger, more energetic or aggressive but still, if they're trained by a responsible person, everything should be okay.
    I know I'd be too scared to train a big dog because I can't even train a little one. Homer is so naughty.

claudine, Feb 28, 2013
  12. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

Yes I think it's terribly wrong that certain breeds are banned in some areas. You have to wonder, who has the lowest IQ, the dog, the irresponsible owner, or lawmakers who scapegoat the dog?
    Obviously, dogs, just like humans, have tendencies. But it is up to the owner to train their dog correctly and know his personality.

shdws, Mar 12, 2013
  13. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

But whose responsibility is it to teach the owners that they need to do that, too? I think that's part of the reasons that laws like this end up being put into place because that part simply isn't happening. Or they *are* training the dogs, but they're training them to attack and whatnot.:(

Jessi, Mar 12, 2013
  14. Jessi

borderlab Member

Pits are banned completely here in the UK, such a shame! Our breed specific legislation sucks and there's not really any hope of it being overturned anytime soon.

The breed popularity looks similar to that over here. I'd guess Labradors are the most popular here too and German Shepherds, Yorkies and Golden Retrievers are all popular too. Beagles aren't that popular though, I doubt they figure in the top 10 over here.

borderlab, Mar 13, 2013
  15. Jessi

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I find this interesting because I just dropped a dog for a breeder at the airport and it was going to the U.K. and it was a bull type breed, American Bully to be exact. They do look similar just wider and low to the ground. Is it regional or a blanket rule with BSL?

MzMonka, May 6, 2013
  16. Jessi

trishgl Well-Known Member

I see that toy dogs are growing in popularity. I suppose its because people who live in the city have less space so toy dogs are ideal. Also some residential apartments and condominium units limit the size of the dog you can keep. In the condo unit where we use to live they only accept medium sized dogs and smaller.

trishgl, Sep 17, 2013
  17. Jessi

I agree, toy dogs definitely are growing in popularity. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with free space though. I live in a large city, but in my area houses are really big and everybody has a garden. Yet, people prefer to buy Yorkies and other tiny breeds.
    Toy dogs are adorable:D

claudine, Sep 18, 2013
  18. Jessi

Trellum Well-Known Member

Dog trends over here have changed a lit over the years. Some years ago French poodles were so popular. Now I think designer dogs is what is really in.

Trellum, Oct 23, 2015
  19. Jessi

French Poodles were very popular here too, I remember seeing them often as a child. They were everywhere, lol. Same goes for Dachshunds. Now, most people want to have really small dogs like Yorkies, Malteses and Shih Tzus:)

claudine, Oct 27, 2015
  20. Jessi

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have to say it depends on the area people live in too when it comes to dog breeds! Out in the suburb, you will see more golden retriever, labrador retriever and lap dogs. But I am near Detroit border, and most dogs are rotweiller, pitt bull, german sheperd, and doberman. Dog trend tends to go with how safe or not safe your neighborhood is.

IcyBC, Nov 6, 2015
Ask a Question