Dog Breath

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by argon_0, Mar 9, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

This morning our lovely Mishka greeted us this with a big smile and bad breath.:eek:
    We give her dried dog bones regularly to help her have healthy teeth.
    Her next visit to the vet,which is soon, will include a dental check.
    Does anyone use products such as those you can add to drinking water or other methods such as cleaning teeth with a tooth brush?

argon_0, Mar 9, 2012
  2. argon_0

King Browny Well-Known Member

LOL. Did she give you a tongue smooching?

There are toothbrush and toothpaste especially made for dogs and there is also a proper way of brushing your dogs teeth. It's also important that they drink enough amount of water and have a regular bowel movements.

King Browny, Mar 10, 2012
  3. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

The big smile matter most. Lol
    Yes there are products for dog's teeth hygiene. The water must be always accessible for her so that she can drink anytime she wants.

zararina, Mar 11, 2012
  4. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have seen one of my neighbors brush her Poodle's teeth every morning. I couldn't get any of my dogs to accept a tooth-brushing. They would grab the toothbrush and run away with it. I have seen some chlorophyll tablets sold at the pet store. It's supposed to reduce bad breath. Haven't tried it though.

Victor Leigh, Mar 11, 2012
  5. argon_0

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I try to brush my dog's breath about once a week but fortunetly he must have good teeth. His teeth don't yellow and his breath doesn't stink. One of my friends brushes her dogs teeth about every other day and has them professionally cleaned every 6 months and that dog STILL has the Worst breath and yellow teeth.

MakingCents, Mar 12, 2012
  6. argon_0

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I brush my dog's teeth several times a week because Bitsy has awful breath and I was concerned it might be her teeth so, I checked them and they are fine so, I have no idea why her breath is so bad.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 12, 2012
  7. argon_0

Sounds like there's more to white canine teeth than just brushing. Could it be a hereditary kind of thing? As for bad breath, it could possibly come from the way food is being digested by the dog.

Victor Leigh, Mar 12, 2012
  8. argon_0

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I think just like humans bad dog breath can be hereditary yeah. Maybe give your dog some doggie breath mints.

MakingCents, Mar 13, 2012
  9. argon_0

A thought just struck me. Maybe what smells like bad breath to us smells good to the dogs. After all, I have seen some dogs that think the stinking, rotting stuff in the trash can is gourmet stuff.

Victor Leigh, Mar 13, 2012
  10. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Good suggestion Victor. Bad smell = Good smell to a dog .Our dog seems to find endless supplies of rotting old bones which we take away from her after she had a bad case of vomiting a year ago. The vet quipped that a dog will eat at the same restaurant even after getting sick from that restaurant's food. So now its commercial dried bones. I will definitely ask the vet for advise. I not sure if brushing would be that easy on an older dog. I guess I would need a lesson.

argon_0, Mar 16, 2012
Ask a Question