Does your dog like squeaky toys?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Jun 29, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

In the past, Homer used to enjoy playing with his squeaky chicken toy. He liked tossing it and biting it. Now, he ignores it or, when I want to encourage him to play with it, he only barks at it. I'm pretty sure that the sound of it started to annoy him, I have no idea why though.
    How about your dogs? Do they like squeaky toys?

claudine, Jun 29, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes, they try to rip the squeaker apart until they chew it up and it's squeak-less. Peanuts has a favorite squeaker but I haven't seen it anymore.

My nephew gave Chooey a toy mallard duck and she sleeps with it. It squeaks, but not so often anymore.

Maybe Homer wants another type of squeaker. Is the chicken made of plastic or synthetic fur? Some dogs enjoy different toy textures so maybe he needs a change in texture. LOL.

haopee, Jul 1, 2013
  3. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

Our recent dog does not enjoy playing with squeaky toys.
    He actually get annoyed with those kind of toys. :p

zararina, Jul 1, 2013
  4. claudine

Lol, I haven't thought about it:p The chicken is made of soft plastic or rubber, I'm not sure what is it exactly. Homer has never had any toys made of synthetic fur though. I guess it's time to visit a pet store:D

claudine, Jul 2, 2013
  5. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

When chacha was younger she loved squeaky toys. We would buy her one and it would just not last the week. She would keep at it until it stopped squeaking. She would even play with our daughter's squeaky toys as well.

trishgl, Jul 5, 2013
  6. claudine

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I have to buy Stefano some toys to see what he plays with. Right now all he has is a stuffed camel.
    My elderly relative who had him before treated him as more of a guard dog and didn't buy him toys or let him live inside the house.
    When I took him in, Stefano got used to living indoors and sleeping in my bed very quickly, now I just have to buy him more dog toys like normal dogs have.

ACSAPA, Sep 1, 2013
  7. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I don't think Mishka has ever had a squeaky toy. :confused: I guess she has always had balls, Frisbee and balloons to chase.
    Homer must have been so funny to watch throwing about his squeaky chicken. Pity he now ignores it. I can imagine claudine you having a good laugh at his antics.:D

argon_0, Sep 2, 2013
  8. claudine

Yup, it looked hilarious, he tossed the chicken like crazy and he jerked it. To be honest, I think that he thought that it's alive and he wanted to kill it:eek: . Maybe now he realized that it's only a toy and it's not worth the effort:p
    I Wonder if Mishka would like a squeaky toy:)

claudine, Sep 2, 2013
  9. claudine

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Squeaky toy is one of Capone's obsessions. The other one is treats :) When he heard something squeaking his ears perked up and ran to look for it. I haven't found anything that last long enough for him since he managed to destroy the squeaking part in matter of hours.

IcyBC, Sep 23, 2015
  10. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

I guess the novelty has passed, @claudine ;) I laughed so hard at that bit where you mentioned he now only barks at that toy, lol. I suddenly pictured Homer and the chicken toy and him barking at it :p Made me laugh for some reason, probably because small dogs barking at something have that effect on me, heheeh!

As for my dog, she tends to like them at first, but after a while she ignores them, then she starts playing with them again after a while. Some dogs are just like that.

Trellum, Sep 25, 2015
  11. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Ginger and Zola seem to like them but Remy couldn't care less. I have never seen her play with any toy come to think of it. I don't know if she thinks she's too old for all that play. Ginger is the by far the most interested. She has taken over with most things. Still I think they all get tired with them after a while but will go back with for a little fun from time to time.

Winterybella, Sep 26, 2015
  12. claudine

Haha, yes, it's super cute and funny when tiny dogs bark:) Homer barks at everything. Yesterday, he spent an hour barking at a trash bin, because my grandfather dared to move it. For some reason, it made Homer very angry:confused:

claudine, Sep 26, 2015
  13. claudine

I don't remember if it's you or Trellum but I feel like one of you promised me Ginger's bark would get better with age. It hasn't improved. When she starts at 2am it isn't funny at all. I think I also mentioned that Zola likes to sit and bark at the washing machine. That's funny I must confess.

Winterybella, Sep 26, 2015
  14. claudine

Haha, I can imagine how funny it must be!:D Homer has never barked at the washing machine, but I wouldn't mind him doing it:p
    As for Ginger, I honestly don't know how to help. Maybe try to ignore her? I read somewhere that if you talk to a dog, or worse, yell at them, it encourages them to bark even more:confused:

claudine, Sep 27, 2015
  15. claudine

I read that as well. That you need to ignore them and it works. I have tried that but I am not sure it works. I am to confess sometimes I tell her to shut her "this and that" mouth but that girl just does her thing. As mad as she makes me I just have to smile sometimes. Right now I am so confused about Ginger. I think her rough play with Zola gave her a nasty bite and it's worrying me the way it looks. I might have to call the vet if it doesn't heal quickly. I am thinking I need to get her more toys to stop her picky fights with Zola. Remy just gives her a long growl and that normally keeps her away.

Winterybella, Sep 27, 2015
  16. claudine

Hahaha, I was watching my mom's dog the other day, he didn't know I was watching him, and he was looking at the room where he sleeps. Then he started to jump a bit, like when he wants to play and is inviting other dog to join him. It was so funny, sometimes i think dogs can see things we don't!

Trellum, Sep 27, 2015
  17. claudine

Winterybella - I think Ginger might need to be walked more often. Tired dogs don't have enough energy to be naughty;) Or play fetch with her whenever you can. Homer always goes to sleep after we play, because it's quite exhausting;)
    Trellum - Haha, I'm sure it looked very funny! I wonder why he did it.

claudine, Sep 29, 2015
  18. claudine

@claudine I think he sees things, or maybe he thinks he sees another dog, lol. I think he is just very lonely and just needs a little friend to play with :) He had a girlfriend, but we had to find her a new home, because she barked too much.

Trellum, Sep 29, 2015
  19. claudine

Claudine I believe you are right about Ginger. It would also be great for me as I am in terrible shape. She is so full of energy. I want to take her to the beach but dogs are officially banned from the beach. You only get to sneak them in when the guards leave in the evenings or on Sundays when they don't work. I am at work in the mall today. I'll take a walk to the pet shop and see if I find something affordable.

Winterybella, Sep 29, 2015
  20. claudine

Oh no, it's such a pity dogs are banned from the beach!:( I'm sure they would have a great time there, especially when the weather is nice. I hope you'll be able to sneak Ginger in:)

claudine, Oct 1, 2015
Ask a Question