Does your dog have any strange quirks?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by gwydion, Nov 27, 2012.

1. gwydion

gwydion New Member

Dogs, just like people can have strange behavioural quirks.

For example, we used to have a Welsh sheepdog and she really hated wheels. Simply could not wrap her head around something turning. She would attack the back tyres of a tractor and hang from the big treads. She would jump up, sink her teeth into the rubber and hang there.

Whenever someone came into the farmyard and parked their car she would collect stones and arrange them in front of the vehicle (always the front, never the back), arranging the stones neatly as if forming a miniature wall to prevent the car from leaving.

She was a really loveable dog otherwise, but her quirks were amongst the strangest I've seen in any dog.

Anyone else have some experiences to share?

gwydion, Nov 27, 2012
    argon_0 and claudine like this.
  2. gwydion

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, Oso likes to come into our house, especially in the summer months and roll around on the carpet. I don't know if this is his way of cooling down because we have a ceiling fan in the center of the room and he lays right under it. But this is a quirk and not one that my sister appreciates too much because when he's doing this he's getting dirt and fleas into the carpet. Now that its gotten cooler I notice he doesn't do this anymore, so I really think this is his way of cooling down. As for Buddy, well he is a quirk period, don't get me wrong I love the little pest, but he can be hard to figure out.

pafjlh, Nov 27, 2012
  3. gwydion

Nick87 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a dog making a barrier wall around cars before, that's hilarious and kind of amazing how smart she is.
    One of my dogs licks EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. She'll lick the carpet, the walls, the windows, furniture, leaves outside, sticks, bugs, dirt, everything. She's like a baby putting everything in its mouth. She doesn't always have the intention of eating or chewing the things...just licking it as if to say "Is this food? No? Okay."

Nick87, Nov 27, 2012
  4. gwydion

Melody Well-Known Member

These are unusual. I think the barrier building shows intelligence.

I am not sure this post is big enough to list all of Misha's quirks. I will tell you her latest. She gets overly excited when the mail carrier comes. I can get her calmed down now and I've found out if I let her smell the mail, she calms down more quickly.

Well, lately not only does she smell it when I put it in front of her, but she growls at the mail and she tries to bite it. I guess she can still pick up enough of the mail carrier's scent to dislike the mail, too! She'll make two or three attacks at the mail, then I see the realization cross her face that this isn't really the mail carrier. She walks away after that.

Melody, Nov 27, 2012
  5. gwydion

claudine Well-Known Member

What a funny thread, I like it:D My Homer collects apples from the garden - green, little apples, bigger ones don't interest him - and he put them in circles on the carpet. I have no idea why is he doing it but he gets very angry when I try to move them. Another strange quirk is that he loves putting his head into washing machine (when it's off of course). And he doesn't let anyone touch the refuse bin. When I touch it, he barks and jumps like crazy.

claudine, Nov 27, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  6. gwydion

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, how funny! It is like Homer is making his own little Stonehenge! :D I wonder what this behavior might represent?
    It could be something reflective of the breed. Jack Russell Terriers are known for digging holes. I have never seen Misha attempt to dig a hole outside. But, sometimes when she is playing she will go into this wild mode. She'll jump in her bed and begin to dig furiously at the blankets. Or, she jumps up on my bed and attacks my pillow in the same manner. I assume it's this digging behavior known to her breed that is working it's way out. It's funny to watch. She is so serious when she does it.

Melody, Nov 29, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  7. gwydion

claudine Well-Known Member

Yes, it's like a little Stonehenge:D . It's very strange. The problem is that the apples start to rot eventually and he doesn't let me move them. We have to fight over them:p
    I haven't heard of other Yorkshire Terriers who would put anything in circles. Homer is so unique:D . But I agree, there are some things reflective of the breed. For example, all Yorkies think they're big dogs:p

claudine, Nov 29, 2012
  8. gwydion

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Those dogs of yours lining up stones and apples in circles are really something.
    It sounds so intelligent.
    Mishka chases wheels on barrows and bicycles which I try to discourage for safety reasons.
    Another thing she does is run around our car when it first starts up and snaps at the exhaust from the tailpipe. Now this I can't stop her from doing only if I yell at her as she tries to give it a go. I'm worried about the poisonous emissions from unburnt petrol.:eek:

argon_0, Nov 29, 2012
  9. gwydion

Lex Active Member

The strangest quirk that any of our dogs has definitely belongs to Bandit. He has a habit of curling up beside you, and then almost immediately rolling over and wriggling around. Normally, he's just looking for belly pets. However, he'll sleep like that for hours! It seems strange to me, as most of my dogs don't do this, but he's done for all five months that I've had him.

Lex, Jan 10, 2013
Ask a Question