Does your dog come to you when you call?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by trishgl, Aug 15, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

My chow does not always come to me when I call her. She does go to my hubby though when he calls. A trainer friend of mine advised that I should always praise my dog when she comes to me even when I don't call her. Supposedly this will teach her that coming to me is good and she'll learn to come when called. What techniques do you use to teach your dog to come to you? t call her name.

trishgl, Aug 15, 2013
  2. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

Not always.
    If there is a food, 100% he will come. But if its just a call, he either come or not based on his mood. :p

zararina, Aug 15, 2013
  3. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

Yes, Homer usually comes to me when I call him. When he was a puppy, I used to give him a little treat if he didn't ignore me and he clearly still remembers it:D

claudine, Aug 15, 2013
  4. trishgl

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Stefano will sometimes come running across the yard if I call him, but at other times I could be a few feet away and he'll look at me but not come to me.
    It depends on his mood and whether I have food for him.

ACSAPA, Aug 19, 2013
  5. trishgl

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka seems to have a mind of her own. If it's windy and I want her to come in she"ll go under the house and hide. The other day it was freezing cold and from morning when I let her out till the late afternoon she refused to come and be inside. When my wife got home from works she managed to cajole Mishy in.
    She has a phobia with the loud noise of wind through the trees. If she's outside she's fine but for her to be inside on a windy day is a problem.:rolleyes:

argon_0, Aug 22, 2013
  6. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

It always makes me wonder, how do they know whether we have food for them or not? Somehow, Homer always knows it and when I call him to give him something to eat, he runs as fast as possible with his tail up:D

claudine, Aug 27, 2013
  7. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

My dogs always come when I call them, but it must be because they think I'll feed them. Sometimes I call my schnauzer at night, and she ALWAYS comes, even if she was sleeping. She's such a sweet & obedient girl <3 My pug on the other hand... is more like a diva! If I call her while she is sleeping, yes she will wake up and look at me, but then she just ignores me! LOL.

Trellum, Sep 26, 2013
Ask a Question