Does your dog ask for things?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I am finding that Misha is too clever. She has picked up on certain things I do, then she knows how to get what she wants from me.

For instance, she knows that sometimes when my Mom goes out for the day, I will go into the spare room to use the computer. I will put the space heater if it's chilly rather than heating the whole house.

Misha knows this. She loves the space heater. So, some days when my Mom leaves, I will go looking for Misha and she'll be sitting next to the space heater waiting for me to turn it on!

Does your dog do anything like this? Do they sit by something so you will open it or turn it on? Do they wait by a cupboard because they know that's where the good stuff is?

Melody, Aug 19, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely.

I think most of it is simply habit and expectation. He will ask for food at certain times even if he's not going to eat it right then. He asks for treats and will tell you where he wants you to throw them (by jumping around, shaking his head toward the direction, etc). And if you don't throw them there, he'll take them and throw them there himself even, lol.

Jessi, Aug 19, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My lovely dog always sits in front of a door and barks when he wants me to open it for him. He does that everytime he wants to play on the outside in the garden. He also barks when he wants to sleep on a chair which is too high for him to jump on because he is so little. I know he is asking me this way to lift him up. He is not allowed to bark during our family meals, so he jumps when he wants to ask me to share some food with him. So adorable!

claudine, Aug 19, 2012
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka will sit near a kitchen drawer when she wants a balloon. Playing with a balloon is one of her fun games.

argon_0, Aug 20, 2012
  5. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Absolutely.I tried clicker training my dogs in the past and whenever they saw me opening the clicker's drawer, they'll immediately sit or do some trick I've recently taught them because they knew treats were coming their way.

One of the things Peanuts has been caught doing is sleeping on my bed. Whenever she sees us leaving she will get unto the bed and sleep there. We only discovered this because one time, I had forgotten my keys so I came back home. I caught her curling up in my bed when she knows that's a no-dogs-allowed zone.

haopee, Aug 20, 2012
Ask a Question