Does weather affect shedding?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I know that dogs get Winter and Summer coats. Can the weather affect those patterns and make dogs shed more when they should already have their seasonal coat?

I noticed that Misha was shedding more than usual about a month ago. Where I live, May is about when temperatures start to rise. Then, we went into a down turn where it was barely 60 degrees. It's starting to get warm again and I've noticed this week she is shedding heavily again.

I don't think anything is wrong with her. Jack Russell's tend to shed a lot. However, I wondered if our up and down weather might be putting her body through strange cycles. Does it seem plausible?

Melody, Jun 28, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

[quote="Melody, post: 4805, member: 163"However, I wondered if our up and down weather might be putting her body through strange cycles. Does it seem plausible?[/quote]
    My Mishka is shedding some fur again even though the weather has been icy. This morning I picked tuffs of fur from the carpet? Our home's inside temperature can vary a lot depending on how much firewood we burn.Some days it maybe around 17C and other days 27C inside.Perhaps these variations do also cause fur loss.

argon_0, Jun 28, 2012
  3. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

I also believe temperature is an influence in how much our dogs shed. If it's unusually warm for a given time of year or if you heat your home to a high temperature you probably should expect extra shedding than is normal for that time of year as dogs shed it to keep cool and at a comfortable temperature. At least that's what I've read in dog books in the past.

tajnz, Jun 29, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  4. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Weather may affect the shedding of the dogs especially since some dogs do shed more on the summer when their winter fur is no longer needed. While others, shed more profusely during mating season (2 to 3 times a year). I've noticed that my dogs who shed do this more when they're "in the season". Some breeds have shed 4 times in a year... while others go for 2. Peanuts in particular need a de-shedder.

haopee, Jun 29, 2012
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

We only have summer and rainy season here.
    And I think the weather or temperature affects the shedding since it seems they shed when it is summer or when it is hot.

zararina, Jun 29, 2012
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for this thread I would never have known why sometimes there are handfuls of fur on the carpet. So even in winter a dog can shed from an unnaturally high house temperature.:rolleyes:
    June is the coldest month here so looking around on the carpet I can spot some more tufts of Mishka's fur.The fire box has been going flat chat around the clock.

argon_0, Jun 30, 2012
  7. Melody

IcyBC Well-Known Member

The weather does effect the shedding! Summer is less but winter is uncontrollable in my house. We live in the Northeast and sometimes snow and ice preventing us to spend time outdoors so the hair is all inside. If I can take being outside for a few minutes then I would comb him just to minimize the hair in the house.

IcyBC, Nov 25, 2015
  8. Melody

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I had a lab/mut and she would shed so much more in the spring and summer time then in the winter. She shed ALOT. My house was always covered in dog hair as were my clothes.

I know that labs tend to shed a lot more then other dogs. Since we adopted a mut we didn't know how much she would shed compared to a full bred lab.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 25, 2015
  9. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer doesn't shed, because he's a Yorkshire Terrier, but I noticed that his hair smell more intense in autumn and winter. I think it has something to do with the humidity.

claudine, Dec 9, 2015
  10. Melody

Djordje87 Active Member

It probably have some influence on some breeds but it is not a crucial factor. Animals shed several times in a year and it is basically the same period. I refer to it as a big shed. Of course they shed during the year, all the time but several times in a year they change shed almost completely. It is like a fur changing process and it is a horrible mess all around house and yard.

Djordje87, Dec 9, 2015
Ask a Question