Does my dog have an iron stomach?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I know dogs are not supposed to eat chocolate as it can be toxic to them. I am not sure why but my Yellow Lab can eat it and not even react to the slightest. Now mind you we don't give it to him. He has just been able to find it. His nose does the searching!

He has eaten chocolate Easter bunnies, two of them in fact within an hour of each other. And nothing. No reaction at all.

He has also eaten a whole bag of candy corn with out any side effects. Is this normal? And a bag of marshmallows.

We don't allow him to have it, he just managed to get into it.

We now have it all up high in a kitchen cupboard. Has anyone ever had a dog that doesn't seem to be bothered by it?

jowjo5, Feb 16, 2013
  2. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

I think if it happened only once or twice it won't hurt him but if he ate it more often, it could be dangerous. It's good you hid your sweets in a place where he won't find them:p . My Home ate a chocolate waffle once and I was completely terrified - fortunately nothing happened:)

claudine, Feb 16, 2013
  3. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the kind and how much they ingest, too.

For example, baker's chocolate has 10x as much of that chemical that makes chocolate dangerous, than milk chocolate. Those bunnies he ate probably didn't have that much compared to his body weight.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dogs-and-chocolate-get-the-facts

Jessi, Feb 16, 2013
  4. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

We keep treats high up in a cupboard now but with kids sometimes that is hard.

jowjo5, Feb 17, 2013
  5. jowjo5

zararina Well-Known Member

Before that I did not knew that chocolates are bad for dogs, I give some amount of chocolates to our dogs and it does not seem affecting them. But the moment I knew about it, of course, I stop giving chocolates to avoid any problems in the future. :p

zararina, Feb 17, 2013
  6. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

My boyfriend was giving his dog chocolate too. It was many years ago and the dog is no longer alive but he lived a long life and was healthy. So it's possible that chocolate won't do any harm. But still, it's better to avoid it because I'm sure it can be poisonous in larger amounts. There are other treats our dogs love:D

claudine, Feb 18, 2013
  7. jowjo5

Melody Well-Known Member

Jessi, I did not know that different types of chocolate had different levels of the chemical. Good to know! Also, I've read that some chocolate isn't really chocolate but vegetable oil and other ingredients to make a chocolate like taste. But, unless we read every single label, we'd probably know this each time we set out to eat some cake or a piece of candy.

I've also heard that each dog has a different tolerance level. The problem is that you can't really know what the level will be.

Like others, I've had dogs that we fed pretty much everything to. I found out about the risks with chocolate when I had Sierra. I avoided most people food with her because she had a sensitive stomach. I don't give Misha much people food either since she is a small dog and can gain weight so quickly.

Ironically, I had a 75 lb. who had an upset stomach on a regular basis. Now I have a 10 lb. dog who can eat almost anything (if I let her).

Melody, Feb 19, 2013
Ask a Question