Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade flea shampoo or dip!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by joycemcgregor, Oct 18, 2015.

1. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregor Active Member

I was not sure where to post this request, but this spot seemed appropriate. I have a little dog who is miserable due to fleas. I have tried several over the counter brands, but none seem to work well. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to go to the vet a buy one of the kinds they sell. So I am looking for an effective home made flea remedy. I flea comb her everyday, but the little blood suckers seem to be winning the war.

joycemcgregor, Oct 18, 2015
  2. joycemcgregor

Janet Ford Active Member

Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo. Lather on generously and let sit for at least 15 minutes. Comb out what you can while slick from the shampoo or rinse and use a conditioner to then run the comb through.

You can also add a bit of tea tree oil to the shampoo for extra oomph.

Janet Ford, Oct 20, 2015
  3. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregor Active Member

Thank you for this suggestion. I will definitly be trying it.

joycemcgregor, Oct 20, 2015
  4. joycemcgregor

Trellum Well-Known Member

Trellum, Oct 20, 2015
  5. joycemcgregor

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Flea shampoo at the stores can cost an arm and a leg! When my dog first got flea I went to the store and returned home empty because I couldn't afford to pay for it. I went searching online, and my son found a recipe using Dawn liquid dish soap, vinegar and water to mix and give Capone a bath. I have since using this recipe for the past two summer. Just remember to leave the mixture on the dog long enough, and comb out those fleas before rinsing him.

IcyBC, Nov 6, 2015
  6. joycemcgregor

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing all those tips everyone:) I've just removed Homer's flea collar, and I'll definitely try out something else. Using a baby shampoo sounds like a very good idea. I wash my own hair with a shampoo for children, so I know how delicate and natural it is.

claudine, Nov 6, 2015
  7. joycemcgregor

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Is it safe to assume that if something is good for fleas, it's good for ticks? I seem to have a reoccurring problem with ticks. Whenever I think there are gone, they come back. I was not convinced about the flea treatment but maybe I should revisit this.

Winterybella, Nov 6, 2015
  8. joycemcgregor

Skyspiritflfl Member

Awesome, I will definitely try the dawn/similar dish soap, vinegar and water - I have used the dishsoap as a shampoon but my dog is now showing signs of fleas for the first time after another dog came by to visit - drats... I will surely mix this up and give her a bath ASAP - thanks for this and the other suggestions on shampoos and flea treatments - Y'all Rule!!!

Skyspiritflfl, Jan 29, 2016
  9. joycemcgregor

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Let's know how it turns out @Skyspiritflfl . Nexgard seems to be the only thing that works for me for the time being and it's terribly expensive. I am trying hard to keep the girls safe. I know keeping the grass down and spraying the grass to keep the fleas and ticks away is also going to be helpful.

Winterybella, Jan 29, 2016
Ask a Question