Does a warm nose mean a dog is sick?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by claudine, Apr 16, 2014.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

I heard that a warm nose on a dog is a sign of illness. Is it really true?:( I touched Homer's nose yesterday (it's a miracle that he let me) and it seemed a little warm, wet and warm. Homer is acting normally, he wants to play and has a great appetite. I don't think he's sick, I prefer to be careful though. Should I worry about his warm nose? Should I take him to a vet?

claudine, Apr 16, 2014
  2. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

If your dog was acting and being just fine, I do not think that there shoulkd be something to worry about.
    It is usually warm here so our dog's nose is also usually warm and wet. I will be alarmed more if our dog's nose is cold and it was hot, there could be something wrong.

zararina, Apr 16, 2014
  3. claudine

Thank you, Zararina, reading your post made me a little less worried:) If your dog's nose is warm too, then it must be normal.
    The weather here isn't hot at all though. Today, it's around 15c outside and 20c inside our house. Homer took a nap an hour ago, now he's looking for cats in the garden:)

claudine, Apr 16, 2014
  4. claudine

Jessi Well-Known Member

No, it's not true! This is an old wive's tale that a dog's nose has to be cold and wet to indicate he's healthy. The truth is, a dog's nose temperature fluctuates from day to day. The nose could be dry and cold, wet and warm, dry and warm....and the dog may still be healthy. It's more important to pay attention to differences in attitude and personality that might indicate illness.

Jessi, Apr 16, 2014
    claudine likes this.
  5. claudine

Thank you, for writing this, Jessi!:) Now, I won't worry about it anymore. Ever since I started this thread, Homer has been acting normally. Today, he's running like crazy and he seems very cheerful. It's very warm outside, he loves this kind of weather:D I'm sure he's healthy. He wouldn't be so energetic if he was sick.

claudine, May 1, 2014
    firelily99 likes this.
  6. claudine

firelily99 Well-Known Member

No, they just have a warm nose. Like Jessi said its more about the energy level of the dog and not the nose.

firelily99, May 1, 2014
  7. claudine

Thank you:) I remember hearing that a warm nose is a sign of an illness, this is why I was so worried. I'm glad it's just a myth. Homer had a warm nose when he was sleeping, maybe it's because he often hides his head under a blanket:) I guess he's just more comfortable this way.

claudine, May 15, 2014
  8. claudine

worldmachine Member

This is definitely a myth, the main reasons why a dog can have a warm nose have nothing to do with health. Lying in the sun for example or being in a room with inadequate air circulation, however it could be a sign of dehydration due to lack of water. Be aware that if the dog's nose is cracked he may have a skin disorder that should be checked by a vet.

worldmachine, Mar 16, 2015
  9. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have heard this is a myth, but with some true to it... dogs with fever wil oftne have a dry hot nose, but if the dog is not acting like he is sick and is eating normally odds are he is fine. Not all dogs with dry warm noses are sick.

Trellum, Jun 8, 2015
  10. claudine

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I too always thought that the dog nose should be wet and cool, and now I know! Capone is our first longest dog we have, so everything about him is trial and error. I think I can tell now when he doesn't feel good.

IcyBC, Aug 9, 2015
  11. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Winterybella, Aug 10, 2015
  12. claudine

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Thank you posting this! It'll come in really handy. I even bookmarked it.

LilAnn, Aug 11, 2015
  13. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am glad you liked it. Being in forums has forced me to check on so many things and then I often stumble on other useful material. It has been an eye opener for me and good for my girls. The information helps me take better care of them and give them a spanking when they are naughty.

Thankfully the noses are all cold.

Winterybella, Aug 11, 2015
  14. claudine

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I will pick up on differences in their personality, or attitude. I've gotten to know them so well. But I had heard so many different tips on how to tell if your dog is sick, and the nose is the one I've heard the most. So its a real relief to actually know now!

LilAnn, Aug 12, 2015
Ask a Question