Does a time change mess up your dog's behavior?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how many countries change their clocks. In the US, we do it twice a year. In March, we moved our clocks ahead one hour.

It messed up Misha's routine pretty good. For the last month, she has been awake and wanting to play until Midnight. Usually, she wants to go out her last time around 11pm, then she goes to bed. Now, she wants to wrestle and play for an hour.

In the morning, instead of wanting to get up later, she's up an hour earlier. Go figure! She stands on top of me demanding neck rubs. Usually, I can convince her to crawl into the blankets with me and rest for an hour or so.

She is just starting to get her bedtime back to normal. Hopefully, the mornings will straighten out soon too.

Does your dog have trouble with these changes?

Melody, Apr 5, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I am not from the US and we do not have the need to change our time or clocks here.
    Our recent dog just need to adjust on my waking up and sleeping up time. LOL

zararina, Apr 5, 2013
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we have to change our clocks here, where I live. It's so annoying!
    Homer had problems with falling asleep the day before yesterday and yesterday too. He didn't want to sleep on his couch, instead, he insisted on slipping under a desk in my sister's room. And I heard him walking during the night. I'm not sure if he did this because of the time change though. I hope that today he'll sleep well.

claudine, Apr 5, 2013
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

It doesn't really affect our dog much. His clock is more set to when he starts hearing us. If the difference were a couple hours, then it would affect him.

It does affect our cats quite a bit, though....at least my older one. She'll get up and hour earlier and start begging for food, regardless of what the time feels like for us.

Jessi, Apr 7, 2013
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I will find out soon enough tomorrow. The clock changed back today to winter time. Mishka is known to get impatient if we are a little late with the morning routine especially on weekend sleep ins.

argon_0, Apr 7, 2013
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It's really funny to think that somewhere in the world winter is getting closer;)
    I really hope that soon spring will come to my area - I can't even look at the snow, I'm so bored with it.
    Last night Homer slept well so apparently he got used to the time change:)

claudine, Apr 7, 2013
  7. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka was "as happy as larry" when I got up at 6.30am. I had the alarm set for 7.00am to get to my 9.30 course. Amazingly though I was still pushed for time to get out of the door and on my way. How does that work? Well we have a saying in this household. More time to be late.:rolleyes:

argon_0, Apr 8, 2013
Ask a Question