Do your dogs think you're crazy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Maybe not just with fetch.....although you're certainly nuts for that. :p

But what about with other things you do? Maybe you baby talk sometimes....do you think they understand and think you're crazy?

Jessi, Nov 16, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh, I baby talk my Homer all the time:D . When I do this, he is twisting his head in a very funny way, like he was trying to understand what I mean.
    But I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm crazy when I'm cleaning up. He probably thinks: 'why is she using this awful vacuum? And most of all, why is she washing these blankets? It's crazy, they'll stink':p (he doesn't like the smell of the washing powder).

claudine, Nov 16, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. Jessi

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

LOL! I love that picture. - I wonder if that's what they think. I often find myself wondering what my dog is thinking and whether or not he can understand me. For example, when he does something that he shouldn't and I tell him he's a bad boy and walk away from him, he knows that he's done something wrong because he won't approach me until I pet him. But I'm not sure if it's because he understands the pattern that scolding brings or if it's because he's actually aware that he's done something wrong. Just like when he knows that when I put on my jacket and shoes it's time for a walk - again, pattern or intelligence? It's hard to tell but I do think that dogs are intelligent, because if they weren't, I don't think that they'd be able to understand basic command words. I am guilty of baby talking though, I do it all too often - I think he enjoys it though. It brings a certain excitement to the conversation for him, lol.

bellahpereira, Nov 16, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  4. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Oh, how I love the head tilt! Misha does it all the time especially if you mention certain foods. It's like she is saying "Did you say waffles?"

I am not a baby talker. But, I found I do one crazy thing. I ask her questions. Not just "how's my baby today" kind of questions. Open ended questions that deserve an answer. Things like "Do you want to walk in front of the school today?" "Would you rather have the peanut butter or vegetable treats?" And, sometimes I follow up with "Huh" as if she said something but it wasn't loud enough for me to hear.

Well, we know she thinks I am crazy because I make her wear the stupid doggie jacket. o_O

Melody, Nov 17, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

So does Buddy!!

Actually, half of the pictures I have of him are with that headcock thing going on. He always tilts it to the side if he thinks the attention is on him or if you have something he wants. "Do you want it?" is almost bound to make him tilt it back and forth to each side until you finally give him whatever treat or toy you're teasing him with.

Jessi, Nov 17, 2012
  6. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Jessi, that's interesting that you dog does the head tilt as a behavior response. If you are teasing him with treats, this must be his way of nodding "yes, yes I do want it!"

Misha, responds to food words. But, she also responds to the names of family members with the head tilt. Certain names get the tilt, then she usually looks towards the front door as if she's asking if they are here.

There are a lot of things going on inside a dog's head that we don't fully understand. I think they get more than we give them credit for.

Melody, Nov 17, 2012
  7. Jessi

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure all dogs think humans are crazy. They probably think "human, wtf r u doin" to nearly all of our normal actions, lol.

Nick87, Nov 17, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  8. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I was only saying to my wife yesterday, why do we baby talk to babies and dogs after I caught myself sounding silly talking to Mishka.:)

I also wonder if Mishka can really understand more than I think.

She came upstairs yesterday morning at 6am which is our start time usually on a weekday.
    It was Saturday and it's sleep in day.
    She did her little talk as she often does but was told not to go on.
    Her reply was a sound of disappointment, a single downward tone.I had to laugh.:)

argon_0, Nov 17, 2012
  9. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

I ask Homer questions too:p All the time:p I ask him: 'Do you like my new dress?' or when we are walking, I always ask him: 'do you prefer to turn right or left?'. Homer probably thinks it's okay but if other people hear me, they definitely think I'm a little bit crazy:p Also, when Homer sneeze, I always say: 'bless you':D

claudine, Nov 17, 2012
  10. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

This Mishka knows what to say when she's asked if she's stupid.

Of course they do! I would fix their toys and they would mess it up again. I would fix it again and they would mess it up AGAIN. Eventually, Peanuts caught me putting them in their toy basket and she couldn't help but paw my shoulder... it's like saying, "HEY, I CLEANED THAT ALREADY!"

[​IMG]Dog Room Cleaning Service

haopee, Nov 21, 2012
Ask a Question