Do you walk your dogs daily?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kinser, Apr 26, 2012.

1. kinser

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

I agree kinser, as exercise is very important & as you state, even with a yard it's necessary to also have that bonding time while walking or playing with them.

I take Bobbi 3 times a day - the first 2 are for a total of an hour or so & the late night walk is just a pee break & short walk to get the mail.

I live in a Condo, but it has a very large deck & I feed the neighborhood birds so she is always patrolling the area, not for birds, rather for the snack mix I place out there for the birds!

We enjoy our walks together...

Thanks for the question!

SweetBeast, Dec 8, 2012
  2. kinser

shdws Well-Known Member

I don't walk my dog every single day because we have a pretty big yard where he runs around all day. I try to walk him at least 3 times a week. Our long walks are also a good time to bond.

shdws, Jan 8, 2013
  3. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

He doesn't beg you to walk him anyway? My Homer has a big garden just for himself but still, he wants to go to the park every day. I guess the park is just more interesting to him:p

claudine, Jan 8, 2013
  4. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't think my dog has ever really been to the park. Maybe once or twice, but it's not some sort of regular thing for him.

He does *like* going for walks, but for his entire life, he has had a yard to use instead and is used to that, I think. He doesn't consciously ask to go for a walk ever....but if he sees you get out the leash, he knows he might get the chance to go to a different area and that excites him.

Jessi, Jan 8, 2013
  5. kinser

shdws Well-Known Member

So far he hasn't begged, at least not that I can remember :D. But just like Jessi's dog, my dog will get real excited if he sees me pull out the leash. Guess he figures it's time to paint the town lol.

shdws, Jan 9, 2013
  6. kinser

pigeon_small Active Member

I should walk my dog because my yard is so small. And he's a big dog so he can't really run in it. I'm guilty of putting it off though, especially If I've just come home from work but I feel pretty bad about it. I've sort of created a semi routine so he knows that we should be walking sometime in the afternoon and he'll bark and act fussy. So I'll make myself get up and take him out, then after we've gotten a few yards away from the door I feel just fine again. Guess I usually end up enjoying the walk as much as my dog does. And it's healthier than couch sitting.

pigeon_small, Feb 1, 2013
  7. kinser

Lex Active Member

My pups don't get walked, every single day. We take them out a couple of times a week, though, at least. Which is mainly because my girlfriend and I walk, weekly, and the dogs always beg to come along. We've got a decent-sized yard, y'know, but they still want to get out!

Lex, Mar 5, 2013
  8. kinser

borderlab Member

I walk mine every day, I have a big garden but it's not the same, they need a proper walk to stimulate them physically and mentally. If I do miss a day or we're late going out then I know about it, it gets to a certain point in the day and they get restless and won't settle until they've been out and burnt off some energy. We're lucky in that we have lots of parks within walking distance and woodland about 10 minutes drive away and they're all well behave off the lead, so it's always enjoyable.

borderlab, Mar 13, 2013
  9. kinser

trishgl Well-Known Member

Yes we walk our chowchow everyday and we did notice the same thing, she does tend to be calmer if we are able to take her on walks.. If we don't walk her she tends to bark more as well as try to throw all the pillows on the sofa to the floor. The only time she is able to go out is when my husband walks her around the neighborhood in the morning, when I let her out to do her thing at noon and when my son plays tag with her in the afternoon.

trishgl, Mar 21, 2013
Ask a Question