Do you walk your dogs daily?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kinser, Apr 26, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

Dog trainers will tell you that this is necessary, even if you have a big yard for your dogs to exercise. I used to walk my dogs every day for at least an hour, but have to admit since I started a part-time job at night and my schedule changed, I've gotten out of the habit. I do notice they are more well-behaved when they are walked, and they absolutely LOVE to go. I need to get motivated to start doing it more regularly again. I've noticed many of my neighbors with dogs don't seem to walk theirs regularly, and I wondered how many people acutally do.

kinser, Apr 26, 2012
  2. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope, I don't, simply because we do have a yard for him. I do, however, go out there with him frequently. Even though he's not on a leash and specifically walking for exercise, we run around and goof off, so it's not quite the same as him going out, peeing, and then flopping down on the ground either.

Jessi, Apr 27, 2012
  3. kinser

stefano13 Member

Usually everyday i take a walk at least of an hour with my dog, is a relaxing moment and is very important for the health, and prove love to him.Also the dog trainers recommended that the socialization between dogs is necessary for a sane and balanced growth of our puppies.

stefano13, Apr 28, 2012
  4. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Before I got my Doberman, the owner of its mother reminded me to give it enough exercise every day. So every morning I take Dark Lady for a run around some deserted space near the railway tracks. The good thing about Dark Lady is that she knows when it's time to go home. Very often she would finish her run before me and wait in the sidecar for me to take her home.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  5. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

Our recent that used to be a stray dog in our neighborhood does not want to have a walk outside of our compound. He seems to be scared to be bought somewhere or be left outside the gate so we do not walk him outside. And besides, its not safe for him since there are too many stray dogs outside.
    He just run or walk inside our compound and we also play with him sometimes so he can get exercise.

zararina, May 3, 2012
  6. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog gets short walks because we live in a condo so that's the only way he can go out to go the potty. He doesn't get long walks because I am generallyf earful of encounters with other dogs.

MakingCents, May 4, 2012
  7. kinser

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I live in an apartment together with my little baby, and even at her young age, I'm trying to get her used to going out on walks every day (as well as doing her biological necessities out of home in these occasions). Then again, I'm pretty sure she's more than happy to oblige.

I hope I can always take her out on walks. I've read that Samoyeds prefer the indoors if their masters are there, but I don't wish for her to be cooped indoors all day, every day.

NewDCD, May 15, 2012
  8. kinser

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Yes, Mishka needs at least one walk every day. Although we live on 180 acres, Mishka is reluctant to poop unless we take her for a walk. We jokingly say she needs her paw held to go to the toilet.My wife, when she's not working in town is keen on her 4 km hike and I go for short walks from time to time. Mishka often gets two walks a day.

argon_0, May 15, 2012
  9. kinser

Ja'cobeC Member

I walk my dog a least once a day. I let him run around in the backyard a lot also. I do it pretty much to let him see the world I guess.

Ja'cobeC, May 30, 2012
  10. kinser

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

Yes, I definitely walk my dogs! I can't always give them the long walk they want, but I try for at least three short walks a day. My Pomeranian is especially more well behaved when he's had his walk. It helps him get rid of all that extra energy and he's a lot happier :) I have to admit I'm a lot less stressed when I walk with him too! :)

AutumnFaith2012, Aug 31, 2012
  11. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

My dog has a very big garden where he can run, but I still take him for at least four walks a day. They're pretty short though. I think it's healthy for him and I like to do it. We have a nice park near our house, so it's very convenient. Homer just loves this walks:D .

claudine, Sep 1, 2012
  12. kinser

Pocs Well-Known Member

I walk my boys several times a day when weather allows and only once when it doesn't. We have a fairly large yard for them to run around in, but I feel a nice brisk walk is also good for them. Plus it gives me a chance to exercise as well. They are great leash walkers and think of walks as treats. I'm lucky, my sisters dogs don't think highly of a walk and she struggles with them daily.

Pocs, Sep 1, 2012
  13. kinser

Talking about leashes, I am reminded of how Candy likes the leash. She is allowed a free run of my entire house, which have a double-gate system upfront to prevent unnecessary accidents. When she sees me holding the leash, she would come and and wait to be collared, so to say. Because she is very strong, I used a throttle leash. However, after testing the leash just once, she never pulled on the leash again.

Victor Leigh, Sep 2, 2012
  14. kinser

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I uaually walk my dogs around 3 times per day at least. The last walk is around a mile. They love it!

iluvmario, Dec 2, 2012
  15. kinser

Actually if you have a small dog and a big house, you do not really have to take your dog for a walk. I remember my Poodles getting a lot of exercise just chasing each other around the house. I also remember a friend who had a pack of Miniature Pinschers which never went outside the gate of his house. They just ran around the strip of land around the house. That was more than enough exercise for them.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2012
  16. kinser

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I feel a little guilty reading about all of you who walk your dogs on a daily basis. Because I don't walk my at all, they do have a big back yard which seems to give them a good amount of exercise. Both of my dogs seem to be in good spirits and good health so I don't think this has effected them in any way.

pafjlh, Dec 3, 2012
  17. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think that's perfectly fine. We have a yard, too, and he gets to run around all he wants. A lot of people don't have the luxury of a yard....or if they have a yard, they don't have a fenced one. Walking them is to make sure they get the exercise and can do their potty business. If there's a yard available, then I think that's even better!

Jessi, Dec 4, 2012
  18. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Sometimes letting a dog run in the backyard actually gives them more exercise than a walk would. I wouldn't feel too badly.

MakingCents, Dec 5, 2012
  19. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think so, too. Walking them is great, but having the option to simply run as fast as they want can add even more benefits. It may not be as personal or intentional, but it still provides plenty of exercise.

Jessi, Dec 5, 2012
  20. kinser

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I try to walk mine at least once a day. We don't have a scheduled time, but it usually does fall around 7pm, because that's when I have time away from the cleaning and cooking. I usually miss at least one day a week, but I try not to make a habit of it. I figure that while I'm walking him, I also get exercise so it's worth it. He's rather energetic, so walking helps him cool down and become tired for bedtime - or else he tries to keep me up all night with him! I do notice other neighbours that walk their dogs more regularly and for longer periods of time, but I do think that that depends on the person's schedule. Of course, if I had a job at night or anything that would impede me from walking him, I wouldn't feel too bad because I would assume that he'd understand that I'm not home. He does get a lot of time in the backyard though and whenever I don't walk him, I do try to talk him to the yard and run around with him to make sure that he gets the exercise that he needs.

bellahpereira, Dec 7, 2012
Ask a Question