Do you use a certain kind or brand of shampoo for your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wahcashmom, Dec 17, 2011.

1. wahcashmom

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Do you use a certain kind or brand of shampoo for your dog?

I have been using the Adams shampoo for several years and I think it is great, just wish it has a better smell to it.

wahcashmom, Dec 17, 2011
  2. wahcashmom

MakingCents Well-Known Member

We don't use a lot of shampoo. Fortunately for us, since he hates baths, my dog doesnt get too dirty. We typically give him 1 or 2 baths a year so we just get some cheap shampoo at the pet store. In between that we use grooming wipes and that seems to work good enough.

MakingCents, Dec 17, 2011
  3. wahcashmom

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just one or two baths a year? My Candy can't do with less than once a week. Longer than that she will be scratching all the time. Maybe it's because Bangkeaws are born to live with water.

Victor Leigh, Dec 17, 2011
  4. wahcashmom

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Yeah he has a pretty low-maintenance coat which is good since he hates the bath so much. He's a mixed breed, and one of his breeds is a water loving animal since he has webbed feet but he hates the water.

MakingCents, Dec 18, 2011
  5. wahcashmom

Webbed feet? Yes, that's the mark of a water dog like the Labrador Retriever. Strangely, Bangkeaws don't have webbed feet. I know because I have looked.

Victor Leigh, Dec 18, 2011
  6. wahcashmom

King Browny Well-Known Member

Well, yes. I use mild dog soap because there’s a dog soap that dries their skin and I think made them feel so itchy after bathing. I also use a dog powder when they soak up but it’s only when they got ticks or fleas from the neighboring dogs. Because I saw them licking their furs and I thought the chemicals may be bad for their health. That’s why I also make it a point that I rinse them thoroughly because I don’t want them licking soap remainders.

King Browny, Dec 19, 2011
  7. wahcashmom

Then I would suggest getting a dog shampoo which comes with a moisturizer. That would help to keep the fur silky and skin soft at the same time.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  8. wahcashmom

aimend13 Active Member

I have a white dog so we need a whitening shampoo too keep her from looking too yellow. There's a pretty decent, cheap one at Walmart that's blue. I can't remember the name right now, but it seems to do the trick whenever we bathe my dog. It doesn't have too much fragrance too it either, which seems to benefit everyone.

aimend13, Dec 19, 2011
  9. wahcashmom

Blue? That makes me think of the indigo dye which my mother used to soak my white clothes. I doubt if blue makes white actually whiter. I would say it's more of an optical illusion.

Victor Leigh, Dec 20, 2011
  10. wahcashmom

aimend13 Active Member

I don't think it's an "optical illusion". On the color wheel, blues and purples cancel out yellows and oranges. It's why when females dye their hair to blonde many dyes contain blue or purple components to keep it from becoming brassy. In essence all colors are "optical illusions" as our perception is controlled by our eyes.

aimend13, Dec 20, 2011
  11. wahcashmom

summerRain Well-Known Member

I also use that kind of shampoo for my dog. I don't have any plans to replace it because he is already familiar with the smell of it and I am worried that he might not like it if I am going to look for a new replacement.

summerRain, Dec 20, 2011
  12. wahcashmom

Maybe you should be a bit adventurous. Just in case, they run out of stock of your favorite dog shampoo.

Victor Leigh, Dec 21, 2011
  13. wahcashmom

summerRain Well-Known Member

I think you have a point on that. I'll just find something that smells similar to the dog shampoo I am using right now.

summerRain, Dec 22, 2011
  14. wahcashmom

You can try it this way. Mix a bit of the new shampoo with the old one. Then your dog may not notice so much difference in the smell.

Victor Leigh, Dec 22, 2011
Ask a Question