Do you trust dog food made in China?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

It wasn't until the dog food scare a couple of years ago that I realized how much food manufacturing is done in China. It seems like it's rare to find something made in the USA.

I feed my dogs Nature's Recipe. It wasn't part of the recalls a couple of years ago as it doesn't have the problem food in it. As it's made by Del Monte, I'm fairly sure it is made in China. As recalls keep coming, it concerns me. When will the next major recall hit? After the Milo's Kitchen recall, I feel that I should look at all the dog treats I buy and see if they are made in China, too.

Do you trust dog food and treats that are manufactured in China? Can you even find brands that aren't made there?

Melody, Jun 1, 2012
  2. Melody

Ja'cobeC Member

I don't trust food made in a Chinese kitchens.That is why I would never buy food from china. Sorry people but that is true.

Ja'cobeC, Jun 5, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

No, actually I don't. It really bothers me to not know what's in the food and especially with recalls and not a lot of regulation, I prefer to simply avoid it. It's yet another reason I make my own food instead of relying on cheap food from a country that can't guarantee me what's even in it. :(

Jessi, Jun 5, 2012
  4. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

I don't think it's legal to sell dog food made in China in New Zealand as we have really strict regulations enforced when it comes to both human and pet food. Most our dog food is made right here in New Zealand and a few brands are Australian made.

I wouldn't personally feed a dog food from China as their regulations aren't as enforced and I'd be too concerned about what it actually contained. There after all a lot of product recalls from Chinese manufactured products. It's just not worth the risk in my eyes.

tajnz, Jun 6, 2012
  5. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any dog food made in China yet. The ones sold in the pet shops are made locally by a big conglomerate which also has large chicken farms as one of its operations. I imagine they use discarded products from the chicken farms to make the dog food.

Victor Leigh, Jun 6, 2012
  6. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I feed Milla Science Diet exclusively, so I've never had any experience with Chinese Dog Food. After hearing all this stuff about the recall, though? I don't think I'll risk it.

NewDCD, Jun 6, 2012
  7. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Have not seen any dog food made in China either when I try to look for some in a store.
    We usually feed our dogs with rice meals as they really prefer it. And we can even feed them vegetables.

zararina, Jun 8, 2012
  8. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I've seen several doggie treats made in China over here, of some really weird brands nobody has ever heard about on this side of the hemisphere. I'm going to avoid those, too.

NewDCD, Jun 9, 2012
  9. Melody

GeeTee Member

No I don't. I don't even trust my own food if it says, "made in China". I have seen videos of the Chinese doing some very disturbing things with food. I can tell you this much... They are a very talented and resourceful people, but just as crafty and unethical when it comes to producing consumer goods.When it comes to food, I'd entrust neither my health or that of my dogs to them.

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  10. Melody

Corzhens Well-Known Member

There was a time when a particular brand of dog food was recalled which were manufactured in their plant in Thailand. We stopped giving dog food to our dogs except for their breakfast of KD (that's the dog food for kidney health). For lunch and dinner, it is cooked food for our dogs to assure us of fresh food that we buy from the market be it meat or fish. The usual menu of our dogs are fried fish and boiled meat, chicken or pork and sometimes beef. The routine lab tests of our dogs' blood chemistry attest to the health of our dogs with those cooked food. And a bonus for us is that cooked food is much cheaper than processed dog food in cans.

Corzhens, Jul 15, 2016
  11. Melody

nytegeek Active Member

I don't know. The company(s) in question may have been Chinese in origin but that doesn't necessarily mean that all dog food from China is bad. At any rate we are using food made in the USA for our dog, but we already were, it wasn't because of what happened with the bad food out of China.

nytegeek, Jul 15, 2016
  12. Melody

Goodman Member

In thе mеаntimе, it’s likеly sаfе tо аssumе thаt virtuаlly nоbоdy is асtivеly prоtесting yоur pеt frоm pоisоnеd pеt fооds. Thе sаfеst thing yоu саn dо fоr yоu pеt is tо fееd him а rаw оr hоmе prеpаrеd diеt – оr а соmmеrсiаl diеt thаt dоеsn’t соntаin prеmixеs

Goodman, Jul 15, 2016
  13. Melody

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't buy food and treats made in China for my family or for my dog. I avoid them as much as I can. I try to buy higher quality dog food at a price that I can afford. Usually, Amazon has a very good selection of dog food brands and at a reasonable price.

IcyBC, Jul 21, 2016
  14. Melody

Goodman Member

Fоrtunаtеly, pеt оwnеrs hаvе bесоmе wisеr sinсе thе mеlаminе pоisоnings аnd mаssivе rесаlls frоm 2007 аnd mаny аrе mаking dесisiоns thаt will prоtесt thеir pеts. Thеy hаvе lеаrnеd thаt quаlity соntrоl аnd fооd sаfеty stаndаrds аrе shаbby аt bеst in mаny оvеrsеаs аnd сhinеsе mаnufасturing plаnts аnd thаt еvеn in thе US, mаnufасturеrs hаvе fеw sаfеty аnd tеsting rеquirеmеnts. Pеt оwnеrs аrе wisеly аvоiding trеаts аnd fооds mаdе in сhinа аnd thаt’s gооd. But dеspitе аvоiding thеsе prоduсts, thеir dоgs соntinuе tо diе аnd bесоmе ill.
    If yоu hаvе mаdе thе phоnе саll аnd fоund оut thаt yоur pеt fооd’s prеmix hаs bееn mаnufасturеd in thе US, dоn’t stаrt fееling аll wаrm аnd fuzzy just yеt.
    Thе individuаl synthеtiс vitаmins аnd minеrаls thаt аrе in thаt mаdе-in-thе-US prеmix аrе аlmоst аll mаnufасturеd in Indiа оr сhinа sо it mаy оr mаy nоt bе а sаfе оptiоn аftеr аll. In thе еnd, sоmе pеt fооd mаnufасturеrs dо thеir bеst tо sоurсе оut thе sаfеst prеmixеs pоssiblе – but it is diffiсult fоr thеm tо dеtеrminе whеrе thе individuаl ingrеdiеnts оriginаtеd frоm аnd whаt quаlity соntrоl mеаsurеs wеrе put in plасе

Goodman, Jul 27, 2016
  15. Melody

LaneAlf Member

Really? I had no idea about that, but thanks for sharing it.
    I don't really look if my dog's food is made in China or not because the idea have never really crossed my mind before. I bought the food on a big market and I have never seen something suspicious about it... And I think that if I ever see something that I'm giving to my dog that is made in China, I would probably won't buy it... I have had bad experiences with those products.

LaneAlf, Aug 2, 2016
  16. Melody

amelia88 Well-Known Member

After the scare a few years ago I've always been super diligent with checking where my dogs food is made. I would never want to do anything that could potentially jeopardize his health and wellbeing and if I can't vouch for the quality of the food and how it's manufactured I wouldn't feel right buying it.

amelia88, Aug 2, 2016
  17. Melody

nytegeek Active Member

I think buying from China is much safer than it used to be, but I still buy food made on the North American side of the Pacific.

nytegeek, Aug 3, 2016
Ask a Question