Do you train your dog, is he/ she under control?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by bazzie89, Mar 29, 2013.

1. bazzie89

bazzie89 Member

When we had our first dog , a Long Haired German Shepherd, I was pushed by a lady I worked with into taking him to Dog training classes when he was around 6 months old. Boy, am I ever glad I did! The stuff I learnt there has always stayed with me enabling me to always have a degree of control over my dog.
    I do feel that as dog owners we have a social responsibility to have our dogs under control at all times, even small dogs if only for their own protection.
    Did you take your dog to Puppy training?

bazzie89, Mar 29, 2013
  2. bazzie89

claudine Well-Known Member

I didn't take my Homer to puppy training... and I'm starting to regret it. Homer is a Yorkie, he is very small so he isn't dangerous but it's rather annoying when he bites everybody whenever he is in a bad mood. He is so naughty. I love him with all my heart and I always find him the most adorable but I'm pretty sure other people don't feel about him this way.

claudine, Mar 29, 2013
  3. bazzie89

zararina Well-Known Member

We did not formally trained our dogs. We just let them learned or understand simple command from us by talking to them and spending quality time to them.

zararina, Apr 1, 2013
  4. bazzie89

trishgl Well-Known Member

My son and I trained our dog early on since we were concerned that the breed might be a bit agressive as some material on chows have published. I have a younger son who was 5 at that time and were worried for him. I was also pregnant when we got our chow so we knew we had to train her on how to interact with small children. We researched a lot on the internet and found that Cesar Millan's techniques proved most effective on our chow.. She's very loving and sociable.

trishgl, May 3, 2013
  5. bazzie89

claudine Well-Known Member

I had no idea that Chow chows might be aggressive, I've always thought that they're very calm - they look like teddy bears to me so maybe this is why I always consider them very sweet and friendly. But I've never had one; I played with my friend's Chow chow once though, he was very well-trained:)

claudine, May 4, 2013
  6. bazzie89

MzMonka Well-Known Member

Both my big and little dogs are trained. I won't allow any bad behavior from any of them. They are not allowed to put their mouths on anything but their food, treats they are given or toys. I actually had to work harder with the little dogs because I had a lot of people excuse their behavior because they are little dogs. I don't allow my big dogs to jump up or put their paws on people so I don't allow the little ones to do it either. Every one of them had to learn manners. I also don't allow anyone to pick up my little dogs because I have seen people get bitten in the face by small dogs. There are a lot of rules for all my dogs but I find it makes life a little easier.

MzMonka, May 4, 2013
  7. bazzie89

Jezebella Member

I had a Chow when I was a kid. She was very easily trained as they are a smart breed. I think it's important that people train their dogs. It makes the relationship between the dog and the owner more rewarding because you don't have to yell at them all the time, or be aggrivated that they get into everything.

Jezebella, Jun 25, 2013
Ask a Question