Do you think that breeds are important?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by LaneAlf, Aug 2, 2016.

1. LaneAlf

LaneAlf Member

I know that this question sounds kind of weird, but let me explain myself.
    I have met people who don't really want to have dogs who don't really look like they are of a certain breed exactly, and that's mostly because the way that they look and basically the whole aesthetic that they might or not might have.
    So... What about you?
    It is really important for you to have a breed when it comes to your dog?

It would be really nice to hear more opinions about this topic.

LaneAlf, Aug 2, 2016
    MiWoo and Pippin like this.
  2. LaneAlf

amelia88 Well-Known Member

We got a shih tzu as my husband had them as childhood pets. But one big benefit for shih tzus to us was that they don't shed. It's much easier keeping a tidy house for us without the shedding that comes with some dog breeds.

amelia88, Aug 2, 2016
    LaneAlf and Pippin like this.
  3. LaneAlf

GeeTee Member

Breed is not really an issue for me. I mostly just want a great dog, and one that I can afford to maintain. Character is what matters. I don't want a lazy dog. They are there not just as great pets, but as watch dogs as well.

GeeTee, Aug 2, 2016
    LaneAlf likes this.
  4. LaneAlf

Pippin Member

I didn't know that, those dogs...or the ones that's I've dealt with in the past are super active. My little brother had one, and every time I came to visit, it would go crazy on me, even the first time I met it. I would be sitting on the couch relaxing and it wouldn't be still.

It kept running around my legs, and trying to jump all over me for a while. I loved all the attention but it was amazing to see a small dog with all of that energy.

Pippin, Aug 2, 2016
  5. LaneAlf

Pippin Member

Yes, dog breeds matter to me. I have 2 dogs, and I always want to keep the same breed of dog that I have. Mines are Golden Retrievers, they are like the face of the animal nation to me. I worship them because they are beautiful, big, and their hair is gorgeous plus many more things.

Golden Retrievers are very playful, and I once heard they are the most friendly in terms of getting along with. I have 4 cats, and they play together as if there is no difference between them.

Pippin, Aug 2, 2016
    LaneAlf likes this.
  6. LaneAlf

amelia88 Well-Known Member

Our shih Tzu is usually like that if we have a visitor or a new person comes in that he hasn't met before. He will be super hyperactive for about 5 minutes, and then once the novelty of a new person has worn off, he returns to his calm sleepy self!

amelia88, Aug 3, 2016
  7. LaneAlf

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I understand that breed commands the price of the puppy or the dog. There are sellers of puppies here that give a special price for a mixed breed. Take for example a shih tzu which is the most popular breed of dog here. A puppy is sold for 6k with papers but you can get one with no papers for 3k only. No paper means it is not certified to be a pure breed and assumed to be a mixed breed.

For me, breed does not matter. Whatever breed of the dog is, as long as it is cute and it likes me then pure breed or not, it wouldn't matter to me. By the way, our 3 dogs are spitz, pug and pekingese.

Corzhens, Aug 3, 2016
    LaneAlf likes this.
  8. LaneAlf

claudine Well-Known Member

I love all dogs, but breed is important to me. We got Homer, because Yorkshire Terriers are hypoallergenic. Most people in my family suffer from allergies, so we simply had to choose a hypoallergenic dog breed.

claudine, Aug 10, 2016
  9. LaneAlf

remnant Well-Known Member

The best imperative in my case is not the aesthetic value of the dogs but the content of their character. Some people are so biased and can go to inhumane lengths to do away with a dog that is not their breed especially if they have a deformity. There are cases of dogs being abandoned from cars or being left behind when the owners are changing address.

remnant, Aug 17, 2016
  10. LaneAlf

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am yet to meet any I did not adore in recent times. Of course I have said before that my Rottie is very heavy and does not make for a good playing buddy she is as loving as they get. I just wish her licks were not too powerful and her weight too heavy.

Winterybella, Aug 17, 2016
  11. LaneAlf

Liz New Member

Breeds are important to match a person's lifestyle, for example a breed that requires a lot of exercise would not be suitable for someone who is an indoor type of person.

Liz, Jun 15, 2017
  12. LaneAlf

Brunski's mom Member

Breed is important because not all dogs are the same as to people have different personalities. We must choose based on our personalities matching the dog's characteristic. Your place should be considered too. If you own a huge place then larger dog breeds are okay, but if you own a small place, small dog breeds are the best option as it only requires a little space for them. I

Brunski's mom, Dec 2, 2017
  13. LaneAlf

mikaelathompson Member

I think different breed of dog portray the different character and it is because of the nature of the dog itself, maybe the short dog with a long hair is different personalities than a big dog like German Shepherd. Both serve different capabilities and it really depends on the owner to develop the dog behaviour.

But the thing is, we need to be very careful and not just taking for granted when dealing with the dangerous breed, I just read the article from the internet that most of the top dangerous breed can cause fatality because of their actions can be quite unpredictable. In the end, you know your dog better according to your lifestyle. If your lifestyle is more to the outside than stay at home, you should think twice to raise a certain dangerous breed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
    mikaelathompson, Jul 12, 2018
  14. LaneAlf

mkhtk79 Member

I think breed can be very important. When you need dog that will be a certain size, temperament, or that doesnt shed. Also if you need a dog for a specific job or task. However, mixed breed are great too. But there are defintely situations when you need to know how your dog will turn out when it gets older so purebred dogs do have thier place.

mkhtk79, Jan 22, 2019
Ask a Question