Do you sometimes give your dog a bone to chew?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by trishgl, Sep 19, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

I use to give my dog a big bone just to play with and chew on. When I asked my vet though he said it was better if I did not give my chow chow any. He said that dogs munching on bones run the risk of fracturing a molar or swallowing bone splinters that may harm their intestines. Do you give your dog bones to snack on?

trishgl, Sep 19, 2013
  2. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes we give our dogs to chew on. It is usual if our food would include big bones. I did not think that it could be an issue to our dogs since they really like it. :p

zararina, Sep 19, 2013
  3. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

No, I've never given Homer any bones from the meat that we cook at home. Instead, I buy him special dog toys made from mixed bones, they're perfectly safe and you can get them at any pet store, they're inexpensive. Homer loves chewing them!

claudine, Sep 19, 2013
  4. trishgl

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I read that chicken bones can splinter apart and damage a dog's intestines so I don't give bones to Stefano, just bone shaped treats.

ACSAPA, Sep 24, 2013
  5. trishgl

At a pet store near my place, there are bone shaped treats made of beef skin. I know that it sounds absolutely disgusting, but Homer loves them and always jumps from happiness when he is going to get one:p

claudine, Sep 26, 2013
  6. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

I don't give my dog a bone to chew on anymore, not since I learn all about the risks you mentioned earlier, trish. Now what we do is buying special treats for the biggest dog (the schnauzer). I read this kind of treats are also good for keeping the dog's teeth clean :) Way better than bones, because those treats are supposed to be really tasty and the dog can still have some fun chewing on them.

Trellum, Sep 28, 2013
  7. trishgl

Yup, these dog treats help to remove tartar from dogs' teeth, this is why it's good to give them to four legged friends from time to time:) . Homer loves them and his teeth are really healthy and white:D

claudine, Sep 28, 2013
  8. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

I use to buy "bone shaped" treats that were suppose to keep a dog's teeth healthy. I think they were called Dentastix. Anyway I usually gave it to my chow in the afternoon twice a week. I felt so happy that she not only enjoyed the treat but that her teeth and gums were benefiting too. 3 weeks later I found a neat pile of the Dentastix in a corner of our garden. Is there a particular brand your dog's like that my pet might too?

trishgl, Sep 28, 2013
  9. trishgl

Lokitns Member

I give the pups the tartar cleaning bones, as well as actual rawhide bones from time to time.

Lokitns, Sep 29, 2013
  10. trishgl

Unfortunately, I can't help you, because usually, I buy Polish dog products, since they're less expensive and Homer is used to them. I'm pretty sure that they aren't available in your area:( . But he got Dentastix a few times too and everything was fine. He isn't picky:p

claudine, Sep 29, 2013
  11. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

You can experiment a little bit with different brands :) Most dogs aren't that picky and will be happy with what you give them, actually dogs don't have the best taste when it comes to food and that kind of things. i've seen dogs eating the most gross things ever! I think any brand will do, but in case your dog doesn't like it, you can just experiment a little bit. But if you want a recommendation, then try with Ol' Roy, my dogs love that brand... specially their chicken beef treats.

Trellum, Sep 29, 2013
  12. trishgl

haopee Well-Known Member

What kind of bones are you giving him? We give our dogs bones as treats. We used to have a neighbor who cooks beef stew for a living. After he makes the broth out of the bones of the cow, he just discards them. That's what we usually give our dogs. It's pretty hard to munch on. Most of the time, they just scrape their teeth on it and lick the meaty taste.

haopee, Oct 4, 2013
  13. trishgl

This sounds like something that would make my Homer really happy. I must look for beef bones for him. But I have a question about their smell, is it bearable? I know that he would carry a bone like this everywhere, all around the house, so I prefer to ask. I still remember how awful it was when we bought him a pig's ear:eek:

claudine, Oct 7, 2013
  14. trishgl

haopee Well-Known Member

They barely have any. We use the one that's been boiled. Most of the tasty juices (and the smell) have already been transferred to the broth it was cooked with so it was perfectly fine even when Peanuts used to bring it in our room.

If you can't bear the smell, just put a large towel where you'll be putting the bone so that Homer wouldn't make a mess. And besides, assuming Homer is a Yorkie, the bone will probably be too heavy for him to carry, so it stays where you want it to stay.

haopee, Oct 7, 2013
  15. trishgl

Thank you so much for the information, Haopee! Beef bones are big, aren't they? I hope he won't be able to carry it, haha:p But the most important thing is that the smell won't be a problem, I'm so happy about it. Like I mentioned, the pig's ear was a real nightmare:confused: He loved it, of course.

claudine, Feb 16, 2014
Ask a Question