Do you run with your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Fleexie, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Fleexie

Fleexie Member

As the title says. Do you run with your dog or do you just let them play in the garden?

I sometimes run with my dog. If we are not running we are going for an okay long walk in the forrest right beside my house.

Fleexie, Nov 26, 2011
  2. Fleexie

Shawn Active Member

I have a 20 foot leash I use when I take him out to this secluded part of the country near my house. I will leash him up and we will take off running. It seems like he can run and run and run and never get tired haha, I get wore out a lot quicker than he does :p But when he is tired, he will let me know and kinda give me that "time to go home dad" look, haha. Usually though to give him a good workout and ware him out, I will throw a ball, he will run grab it, then its a wrestling match for me to get the ball back LOL then I will throw it again. :D

Shawn, Nov 27, 2011
  3. Fleexie

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

I don't run with my dogs, simply because I don't run due to my knees (even though I do manage to do agility with them!). I let them play in the garden, singly or in pairs, and I'll throw Toy for them.

LoupGarouTFTs, Nov 28, 2011
  4. Fleexie

Fleexie Member

Hehe its always good to have a playfull dog. :) Its always give the home a little more life.

Sad to hear about your knees.
    Its nice that you found another way to play with them. And throw a toy is just as good as doing other stuff they just need a bit more time before they gets tired.

Fleexie, Nov 28, 2011
  5. Fleexie

aimend13 Active Member

I also don't run with my dog. I'm a pretty small person (only 5' 2") and I have terrible knees. My dog is a strong, hyper, 60 lb. pit-bull so it's not really gonna happen. She'd totally become the boss during our runs.

However, I do play out in our backyard with her. Often times I'll throw her sticks/throw toys/tennis balls, or I'll engage in some tug of war with a rope toy. She's very good at amusing herself however and will spend hours roaming the yard and pretending she's going hunting for something.

aimend13, Nov 30, 2011
  6. Fleexie

zararina Well-Known Member

I used to run with my dog when I was younger since there are bigger spaces for that in our community. But now that there are more houses and lesser vacant space, we can not do not. And also there are now many stray dogs around and will not be a safe idea to bring him out and run.
    He was just not chained and could freely move and run inside our compound which is safer.

zararina, Nov 30, 2011
  7. Fleexie

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I love to run and play with my dog. He loves to go outside and run in the yard or down to the park. It is great exercise for both of us, so it works out great.

wahcashmom, Dec 1, 2011
  8. Fleexie

King Browny Well-Known Member

Oftentimes I would let them run by themselves because I’m a small woman and they were dragging me when they run and I’m tangled in their leash. But running with them every day is a routine except for old Browny which can’t do anymore running and which, in his younger years, would run just about anywhere even if they’re not scheduled for the routine. He’s more like the street dog more than a house dog. He loves to get stinky and dirty. Eeeeew.

King Browny, Dec 1, 2011
  9. Fleexie

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Sometimes when my dogs aren't going off running by themselves, I'll just go run in a random direction and they're sure to chase me. They love it and it gets their energy out, and it exercises me, too. Usually after a while of me running they get bored and start chasing each other around the yard.

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  10. Fleexie

summerRain Well-Known Member

Sometimes I run with my dog, but most of the time we are just playing. He will chase me or I will chase him. It depends on who is the one that initiates the game.. LOL

summerRain, Dec 3, 2011
  11. Fleexie

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. Well, not exactly run together with them. Rather, I let them have their run while I walk. When they have tired themselves out, we go home together. Except for Benjamin. He prefers to go home on his own when he's ready.

Victor Leigh, Dec 26, 2011
  12. Fleexie

Fleexie Member

Do you close to the place were you run/walk with them?
    I am asking because you say Benjamin is going home on his own.

Fleexie, Dec 26, 2011
  13. Fleexie

claudine Well-Known Member

I've seen many people doing it, but I haven't tried it myself, since I'm pretty lazy and I'm not a big fan of running. Homer probably wouldn't like it either. He is too small to run with me.
    But he loves when I'm chasing him. I often pretend that I want to catch him, it makes him really happy:p

claudine, Sep 24, 2013
  14. Fleexie

Trellum Well-Known Member

I loved to go for a run with my dog when I was younger, but my old dog was an Australian sheperd one, so he really liked the exercise. I now own two small dogs, and as you might know... that kind of dogs don't really like or need so much exercise. I don't think my pug could ever handle a running session with me to be honest. I can no longer run anyways, I prefer to walk... and when I do that, I take both of my dogs with me :)

Trellum, Sep 26, 2013
  15. Fleexie

Oh, you have a pug?:D I love them, they're so adorable! Could you post some pictures of him/her?:D
    I've never owned any pugs, so I don't know it for sure, but I've always thought that usually, they're pretty lazy and prefer lying in bed to running, so it doesn't surprise me that you don't run together:p

claudine, Sep 26, 2013
  16. Fleexie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Sure, I'll try to upload some pictures later on :) By the way, you are totally right! Pugs are super lazy and like to be lying on the floor or on the bed as much as they can. I guess this is linked ot the fact they have really flat noses and they can barely breathe tru them :( So running is out of the question, I mean they can run a little, but you should never push them the extra mile, lol. Small dogs are usually like that. :)

Trellum, Sep 28, 2013
  17. Fleexie

I had no idea that it might be hard for them to breathe through their cute, flat noses:( . No wonder that they prefer not to run.
    Look at this lazy pug, he looks so funny!:
    [​IMG]

claudine, Sep 28, 2013
  18. Fleexie

laviandfreddy Member

I wish I could run with my dog. When he was smaller he would love running with me...but now at the age of 3 all that he does is smell the ground for female dog traces. It used to be so much fun, got y daily exercise and he would be later so tired that he would sleep longer than me.

laviandfreddy, Oct 4, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  19. Fleexie

Laviandfreddy, my little Yorkie likes smelling the ground for female dog traces too:p . Actually, I think that it's his favorite thing to do during our walks. But he still enjoys running. When I pretend that I'm chasing him, he runs away quickly, wagging his tail:D

The picture of a lazy pug that I posted in my previous post doesn't show up anymore, so here I'll post another one:

[​IMG]

claudine, Oct 7, 2013
  20. Fleexie

laviandfreddy Member

He is so sweet!!
    I used to do that with Freddy too. Pretend that I am chasing him, but becose of my brother (who scared him by doing that) he get's scared and turns into a ball when I do that

laviandfreddy, Oct 7, 2013
Ask a Question