Do You Put a Blanket or Dog Bed In the Kennel?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Aug 10, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

When Capone was a baby, he loves to have a soft blanket, or dog pillow in his kennel to sleep on. For the past few months though, anything I leave in there, he shredded into pieces.

I am tired of cleaning up, yelling at him, and have to go out buying new one to replace it. So now, I don't put anything in his kennel anymore and he has to sleep right straight on the tray. I feel bad, so I put another one in there today, it only takes him half an hour to destroy it.

Do you use a blank, dog bed, or dog pillow in your dog's kennel?

IcyBC, Aug 10, 2015
  2. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer doesn't have a kennel. He sleeps wherever he wants. Usually, he chooses the biggest sofa in our home;) We always put some of his favorite little blankets there. He has never tried to destroy them.

claudine, Aug 11, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

You are lucky to have Homer! I have to put Capone in the kennel on most night since he will just walk the house and won't let us sleep. On a certain good days, he slept on the couch without problem, but usually he barks at every little noise outside.

IcyBC, Aug 11, 2015
  4. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

Capone sounds like a very energetic dog!
    Homer goes to bed early and sleeps like a child. He rarely barks at night:)

claudine, Aug 11, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I once tried the kennel method, I put a blanket in there, but I've already mentioned that attempt wasn't a success. I'm so sorry to hear your Capone keeps doing that :( I think he has no idea what he is doing, he is just letting his impulses of destruction control him. We had a dog that was just like that . He was like that since he was a puppy and dying being like that as well. I hope yours is not like that.

Trellum, Aug 11, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

mak73 Member

I keep an older crocheted blanket in Leena's kennel. It's been there since we got her almost 2 yrs ago. I do take it out and wash it, lol. She fluffs it around a bit before she lays on it. She's not in the kennel much. Only when we will be away for a awhile. For quick errands she has full reign of the house.

mak73, Aug 12, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I hope not! I am sincerely wishing this is just a phrase that he is going through and I hope it will be over soon! What I don't understand is that he never did this when he was a puppy, and now is a different story.

I guess he has his good days and bad days :) It's my secret comfort thought, LOL!

IcyBC, Aug 12, 2015
  8. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone seems to have a burst of FANTASTIC days where he is just like an angel, and then has a couple of days where he just went berserk. He got in so many troubles during this bad times, so I have to kennel him when I have to be out of the house for a while, and at night.

IcyBC, Aug 12, 2015
  9. IcyBC

i think he is just growing up, maybe once he gets older he will be much calmer. I think he will be since he is neutered =D He might just need some more time, after all he is so young and energetic. I bet he is just feeling kinda anxious and doesn't even know what to do with all that energy that suddenly gets into him :O

Trellum, Aug 12, 2015
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Haha, it could be the case of hormones! You give me hope, @Trellum ! I am just tired and out of money buying blankets at the Thrift Stores! Though I don't spend more than $5 dollars for a blanket, but can you imagine $15 dollars a week in just replacing them?

IcyBC, Aug 13, 2015
  11. IcyBC

Man, $15 dollars a week on just blankets is a little too much for me :O What are you planning to do now? Will you crate him without a blanket? Maybe you should do that for a couple weeks. Maybe he will start missing them then.

Trellum, Aug 13, 2015
  12. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

In the early days when I tried the kennel thing without a dog left in my upstairs patio, I came home one night and found the bed shredded to bits. In recent times when I have to be gone long hours I leave a bed in the or blanket in the same dog house where I think they only go if they are cold. I've bee around lately so they do get to go out there. They much prefer to be right here with me.

$15 dollars a week for a blanket????

Winterybella, Aug 13, 2015
  13. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum and @Winterybella I left the kennel bare to its bone without anything in it for the last two weeks, but I feel bad for him having to lay on the cold tray, so I went to Thrift Stores and found really nice baby blankets to put down in there for him. He loves it at first, ran right in the kennel and lies down and stays there.

Then, after the initial love, he viciously ripping it apart. So now, we are back to the bare tray!

IcyBC, Aug 14, 2015
  14. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Made some corrections.
    Welll I have a son and I have not thrown out or given away everything thing he owned as a child. I actually use some of his stuff for my dogs even towels he had as a baby. I guess they have been passed down to my other children.:) I am sure they destroyed the beds in the passed out of being bored.

Winterybella, Aug 14, 2015
  15. IcyBC

Awwww :( Damn, how much times does he spend in that kennel? What a shame he destroyed those baby blankets :(

Trellum, Aug 14, 2015
  16. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

He barely spends any time in the kennel, and he is with us all day long! I only put him in the kennel when I know that we will be gone for more than four hours.

He is a sneaky little Pit, he chews a corner of one baby blankets that I bought from the Thrift Stores right behind my son's back when they sat together.

IcyBC, Aug 15, 2015
  17. IcyBC

@IcyBC Lol!!!! Omg, capone might be a little troll xD Chewing the corners of the baby blankets while with your son, but being so careful he'd not notice, lol. I tell ya, our dogs are much smarter than we think ;) They often know when they are doing something wrong, but that never stops them, I think it even encourages them :p

Trellum, Aug 15, 2015
  18. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

This behavior of his is driving me crazy, @Trellum even when I knew that he is just going through a phrase of growing up. I like to nip this problem early but so far nothing has worked out. My mind is racing to find solution, and I read what I can to see what to do.

Yes, I agree with you, dogs are very smart and we often underestimate them :)

IcyBC, Aug 16, 2015
  19. IcyBC

@IcyBC I feel for you :( This is a really bad habit, but at least you have tried to do something about it. I hope it doesn't continue when he becomes an adult, we had an experience like that with a dog. He was a senior and still did it, but he was a very energetic dog! The dog my mom has now is so calm, too lazy to destroy anything. Have you checked Cesar Milan's site or videos for more info? I'm sure he has talked about this kind of issues

Trellum, Aug 16, 2015
  20. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

You know I watched every freaking episode from Cesar Milan's dog series, and I came to conclusion that he has "black magic" or something. He said one no and it worked for him! I said 10 NOs, and blankets and pillows still get ripped apart!

I am experimenting something at the moment: I cut up two limes, and boiled them down. I tasted it, it was very bitter. Eureka, I have bitter spray but I believe it was not enough to stop Capone from chewing on pillows and blankets; so I added some hot sauce and put the mixture in a spray bottle.

I waited to catch him in the act, then spray the blanket where he chewed, and rubbed a bit of this mixture to his gum! Voila, we are now passed a week, without Capone chewing on blankets and pillows.

I might say it too soon, so it is still in the experimenting time frame! I kept this spray bottle next to the blankets and pillows that he likes to chew as a reminder to him.

I wish and pray that this behavior of his will stop for good!

IcyBC, Aug 17, 2015
Ask a Question