Do You Make Toys for Your Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Aug 29, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have never thought of making toys for Capone, until I found some videos on YouTube about making rope toys, plus plenty of other things to do.

The first toy I made was the rope toy since it is one of his favorite things. I used to buy the rope toy for him, but since I can make my own now, I don't buy it anymore.

So have you made toys for your dog/dogs?

IcyBC, Aug 29, 2015
  2. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

This is something I hadn't even thought about! It sounds like an awesome idea, but I had never even thought of making my own dog toys! I might really give this a try! It might sound odd, but I haven't even thought of this before, lol. I'll surely start searching now, I love DIY projects :)

Trellum, Aug 29, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Yes, me too Trillium, and I feel very ignorance about this when I found out how easy it is to make the twisted rope toy for Capone using old hoodie! I can't believe that this kind of thing has never cross my mind.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WcWaKWWviu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IcyBC, Aug 30, 2015
  4. IcyBC

Nice, thanks for the video! So all it took was an old hoodie? Can't get any cheaper than that really, plus I think using an old hoodie is better, I've seen a lot rope toys out there and they don't seem delicate enough for my princess D: How long does that toy last?

Trellum, Aug 30, 2015
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum I took my son's old hoodie and cut it into strips to make a braid. Tied a knot at each end and voila, this rope toy lasted him for more than three months until it got too dirty for me to see it laying around the house. With Capone, I double the strips to make the braid tougher, and also I made it as tight as can be. He has growing teeth :)

The video shows a different rope that I wanted to do, but I checked, that type of rope is very expensive, so forget it! Here is a video that using old clothing pieces!

IcyBC, Aug 31, 2015
    Trellum and claudine like this.
  6. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

I love this guide!:)
    A few years ago, my mom used and old plastic bottle to make a toy for Homer. He liked it, but now he prefers playing with pine cones. Regular dog toys don't interest him.

claudine, Aug 31, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

Amazing! Just amazing how creative people can get, lol. I could have never imagined people could make toy ropes using clothing pieces, i must applaud whoever came up wit that brilliant idea first! Way to make the most out of old clothes you no longer wear, just wow! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Trellum, Sep 1, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have never made any and only one of them really likes toys these days. It used to be Zola but Ginger has taken over everything. Maybe I should give something like this a try just to see if I have any skills. I still think Ginger would destroy it in one. She is amazing.

Winterybella, Sep 2, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

You don't need skills, @Winterybella ! If you braid your hair, or anyone's hair for that matter, you can braid those strips together, and just watch your beloved furry babies enjoying your home made toys. It kept Capone hours of entertainment by himself :)

IcyBC, Sep 2, 2015
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I did use an old empty plastic bottle, and put it inside a long sock to make a toy for Capone! It didn't last long with those canine teeth of his. He went through it after about 10 minutes! I even used a very heavy plastic bottle and ruggy outdoor sock too. He loves toy so it keeps him busy for a tad of time.

IcyBC, Sep 10, 2015
  11. IcyBC

tajnz Well-Known Member

To be honest, I never thought of crafting toys for my dog but I imagine I'll be able to find a multitude of creative tutorials on Youtube! I like your idea of using a plastic bottle and a sock to make a dog toy @IcyBC, as I can imagine my dog will enjoy munching on one.

tajnz, Sep 11, 2015
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Yeah, he loves the noise making from the bottle! If your dog doesn't have aggressive chewing habit, he/she would enjoy this toy so very much! My dog is a chewer and he went through them so fast! Luckily, empty bottles and old socks are free!

IcyBC, Sep 11, 2015
Ask a Question