Do you let your dogs sleep in the same bed as you?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

I know a lot people who have no issues when it comes to sharing their bed with their pets, I guess they grew up in homes where this was normal. I grew up in a home totally different, where pets shouldn't even be let inside, let alone sleep with you!

My mom has never been a big fan of sleeping with dogs, she actually thinks it's disgusting. I don't agree with her, but I don't like my dogs to sleep in the same bed I do, mostly because I feel worried I might hurt them in any way.

Do you guys like your dogs to sleep in the same bed as you? If you don't do it for the same reason I do... would you do it if you knew your dog would be safe?

Trellum, Feb 28, 2014
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I can't imagine sharing bed with Homer. First of all, it wouldn't be hygienic. Every day, he rolls in grass and digs in dirt. Believe me, he doesn't smell too nice:eek::p
    Also, he is really tiny, he would suffocate if I accidentally covered him with my blankets and pillows.

claudine, Mar 4, 2014
  3. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

When they are still puppies, I allow them to sleep on my bed with me but not often. When they grew up, they are not even allowed to step on my bed. :p

zararina, Mar 10, 2014
  4. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

My dog is a big dog so generally we both prefer to sleep in our own beds. We will cuddle for awhile at night but for no more than a half and hour, he wants his own space so he won't hang out much longer than that.

firelily99, Mar 21, 2014
  5. Trellum

That's nice, Firelily! I don't like to cuddle with my dogs in the bed because I'm afraid we might get too comfortable and end up falling asleep. That's a huge concern for me because my pug is so tiny! I'd hate to wake up one day and find out I hurt her because I fell asleep and maybe I rolled and hurt her. You have a big dog, so I don't think that's an issue.

Trellum, Mar 22, 2014
  6. Trellum

Wow really??? Aren't you afraid about the small ''accident'' taking place in your bed? I personally would never ever sleep with a pupy, for sanitary and safety reasons; I'd be too afraid to harm it while I'm asleep. Plus puppies tend to pee and poo a lot at that age.

Trellum, Mar 22, 2014
  7. Trellum

I can imagine, Claudine! I have the same issue when it comes to sleeping with dogs, sleeping with them is just not hygienic and safe. Dogs like to step and roll on many things, and most of those things aren't clean at all. I don't eve like it when they have been walking all over the house and try to get on the bed.

Trellum, Mar 22, 2014
  8. Trellum

tardy12 Member

My dog sleeps with me every night, under the covers. He has slept with me since I brought him home, and plan to sleep with him forever. He always touches my leg, and if I move during the night, he heaves this big sigh as if to say: "Gee Mom, lie still!", and moves to make sure he's touching me again. It's a great way to be close to your dog. Now Moe is a small dog-I completely understand why the parents of larger breeds offer dog beds or crates. Sleeping with a big dog may be really uncomfortable.

tardy12, Apr 18, 2015
  9. Trellum

Yes, exactly. I don't let Homer sit on my bed. Of course he does it sometimes anyway, because he doesn't listen to anyone, but I wash my sheets at least once a week. I really don't want to smell like my dog;)

claudine, Apr 19, 2015
  10. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well where I come from in the minds of many dogs are to be kept outdoors. When people hear that dogs are kept indoors they think it is someone of another nationality so some of my friends might not understand I have have three small dogs living indoors with me and a big one I am trying to sneak inside.

About sleeping with me, when Zola came along I would not have it any other way. It was all my son's idea to first of all have inside dogs and when it comes to sleeping with him, he has no problem with them sleeping on his face( that's an exaggeration). In the case of Zola, I allowed her to sleep with me until she was some months old. I sensed my husband was not loving the idea so I gradually got her out of the habit. Back in those days she never had the smell of a dog. She smelled very human.:)

I feel like once she got into more dog behaviour and habits she started to smell more like a dog and now I don't encourage her sleeping with me that much. She still loves to so sometimes unknown to me she will jump on the bed and I will feel her sometime during the morning. I am always wiping them off but right now it's only one of the three inside dogs who likes the bed thing. Ginger the recent addition can't reach my bed but my son had her sleeping with him when she first came home. I never thought I would allow them inside far less my bed but I have learned "never to never".

Winterybella, Apr 20, 2015
  11. Trellum

Oh, is Homer finally living with you??? Have you managed to find a way to bring him into your apartment without causing any kind of trouble in the process? Or you mean the house of your parents?

Trellum, Apr 21, 2015
  12. Trellum

In my country is also a bit uncommon for dogs to be indoors. We don't know many people who actually sleep with their dogs in the same bed ;) Or if we do they don't openly admit this habit :p My mom once let one of our dogs sleep with her, lol,it was hilarious!

Trellum, Apr 21, 2015
  13. Trellum

No, I was talking about my bed in my parents' house. I still have a room there, they haven't gotten rid of my stuff;) Of course usually I sleep in my new apartment, but from time to time I come back to their place.

claudine, Apr 21, 2015
  14. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone slept with me only once, and he slept with my son in his bed more often. To be honest, I prefer him to be on his own at night, since he gets into ROYAL fits once he has to be on his own after that. He cries and just tears things apart!

IcyBC, Aug 12, 2015
  15. Trellum

mak73 Member

Leena sleeps in our bed. She's about a medium sized dog but she can really curl herself in a ball. She even has a bedtime, that she set herself, lol. About 8:50 she lets us know she wants to go outside and when she comes back in, she heads right upstairs to bed. She usually lays down at my feet but if hubby doesn't come up with me, she will take his spot. She loves laying her head on the pillows like we do.

mak73, Aug 13, 2015
  16. Trellum

My father sometimes lets Homer sleep in his bed. He does it during thunderstorms, because Homer is terrified of them. Our tiny, brave Yorkie shakes like crazy when he hears loud noises:( I'm sure he wouldn't be able to fall asleep if we left him alone during a storm.

claudine, Aug 13, 2015
  17. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

:) That sounds wonderful. I have an on and off thing going on with my dogs. One thinks she's is human so she wants to do everything humans do except use the bathroom which I would love. Zola was banned from the bed but she has quietly ease her way back in. Now my husband is not very happy. I saw him pushing Ginger off the bed in the wee hours of the morning when she jumped up. She can finally reach now so she wants in on the action. Remy is the best. She waits until I am away from the room to climb up and when she sees me coming she has a guilty look and often can't decide if to stay or get down. Minus fleas and ticks I think they make great bed buddies.

Winterybella, Aug 13, 2015
Ask a Question