Do you let your dogs drink water from the ground?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by claudine, Jul 6, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm aware that it might sound like a silly question, but I'm really overprotective sometimes and I keep wondering if I should let my Homer drink water from the sidewalk after the rain. Isn't the water polluted? Or maybe it won't harm him? We live in suburbs, but still, everybody has a car here so the streets aren't too clean:(

claudine, Jul 6, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I would be a bit concerned for Homer drinking water from the sidewalk because of all the motor vehicle pollutants. Petrol,diesel, oil,exhaust and on it goes.
    But there's no telling why a dog rather drink yucky water when there clean water near by. Mishka will drink from the muddiest puddle when we are on a walk but I have not too much concern as there aren't those city contaminants.
    Even if you take along a bottle of water and some small container for your dog to drink from they seem a bit indignant or reluctant to do so. :confused:

argon_0, Jul 8, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  3. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

I would not allow our dog to drink on the ground. I do not think it was safe at all even the water or place might look clean. There could be chemicals on it that are harmful and better safe than sorry. :)

zararina, Jul 10, 2013
  4. claudine

Lately, it has been rather hot, so drinking from the ground is not a problem, since there is no water. Unfortunately, I'm sure that after the rain Homer will try to do it again...I don't know, maybe somehow it's entertaining for him?
    Aragon_0, I've been thinking about carrying bottled water for him, but we rarely take longer walks. Also, it seems like drinking clean water isn't as fun for him as drinking water that he finds on his own:rolleyes:

claudine, Jul 10, 2013
  5. claudine

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I try not to let Stefano drink from the ground because there are always other animals that come and go and I don't want him to drink pigeon germs, or iguana germs, or stray cat germs, or germs from my housecat who occasionally ventures outside.

I might try the bottled water thing, or a Tupperware bowl with a lid that he can drink from.

ACSAPA, Jul 29, 2013
  6. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

It's definitely not a good idea especially if you live in the city. Pollutants from the air that gather in the rain drops as well as those coming from machines can go down the water canals. After all, that's what they're there for.

As for Homer's case, just be vigilant. We can't protect them from everything so sometimes it'll work to our advantage if we are a little lax with our dogs.

haopee, Aug 2, 2013
  7. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

In the olden days your dog could probably drink rain water but not now. Even school textbooks warn against drinking rain water specially in populated areas like the city due to pollution. I'd rather not risk my dog's health and we all know how expensive vet bills are. When my dog tries to drink rain water I just gently tug the leash to redirect her attention. I also make sure there is water in her bowl before we take a walk so she is not thirsty while walking.

trishgl, Aug 11, 2013
  8. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

It's a bit sad to think that we can be told not to drink rainwater. So far it's still possible where I live.
    Though yesterday I visited a friend who has an old rusty steel container with a vice stand sticking out of it. Mishka immediately went to it and drank some water from it. I tried to stop but my friend insisted that it was only rainwater. Should I have been that concerned? Maybe not.:confused:

argon_0, Aug 22, 2013
  9. claudine

amundy8 Active Member

Yes, I think that the city water is more harmful and a bit more to be concerned about outside than if he were in the country with the gross-looking water. At least the countryside would have less chemicals to worry about.

Dogs seem safer drinking toilet water than water where cars and other equipment the water was exposed to. Maybe carry a bottle of water and empty dish may get his attention, because he still needs water when traveling. Maybe with his own, he won't be so tempted to taste the bad apple, so to speak.

amundy8, Aug 28, 2013
  10. claudine

Fortunately Homer is too small o drink from the toilet, one thing less to worry about:)
    I completely agree about the water bottle, I should always carry one during walking him.

claudine, Aug 31, 2013
  11. claudine

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Sometimes, Capone drinks the rain water puddle on our driveway, but if I see it, I won't allow him! I just have this nagging feeling that it is not clean. But a bit here and there won't hurt him! It is just I don't feel comfortable watching him do that :)

IcyBC, Aug 29, 2015
  12. claudine

Tomi Active Member

Wham likes to drink up rain water in the yard at times. I don't mind that because it is fresh at least. I would not wish to have him take just any water from the ground though!

Tomi, Aug 30, 2015
  13. claudine

tajnz Well-Known Member

No, when I go for walks I always take a bottle of water that is attached to a bottle shaped container (that it snaps into), so that I can give my dog a drink if she gets thirsty. Without having to worry about contaminated water.

tajnz, Sep 11, 2015
  14. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

I don't let my girl drink from puddles or from any unknown source of water, because you never know what could be lurking in that water (so many nasty bacteria outbreaks lately), it's really disturbing, but this is surely being caused by our global warming. Now more than ever we need to be more careful with bacteria outbreaks, and god knows how much bacteria love stagnant water.

Trellum, Sep 11, 2015
Ask a Question