Do You Let Your Dog Eats Crickets?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Aug 20, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

At the moment in my neighborhood, crickets and cicadas are singing up a storm early in the morning, and late in the evening! We are surrounded with these insects, and Capone loves to hunt for them, especially crickets since he was a puppy.

He sniffed them out, played with them for a while and then eat them! I know that some people eat crickets, but it still is grossed! I even asked the vet, and she said it is fine. It has lots of protein :)

Do you let your dog eats crickets?

IcyBC, Aug 20, 2015
  2. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer eats every insect he manages to catch:confused: Nothing can stop him from doing so. There are a lot of bugs, crickets, bees, butterflies and flies in my parents' garden and he spends long hours hunting for them:(

claudine, Aug 21, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Oh Capone is always on a hunt whenever he is outside for crickets and grasshoppers! I can't leave him out by himself since I have drug addict and drunken neighbor who loves to toss his left-over foods over to my yard for Capone to eat. I hate it and I hate confrontation with him. I already fought with him once over this issue and now I will avoid him altogether. So we have to be out there with Capone when he is outside :( Such a drag!!

IcyBC, Aug 26, 2015
  4. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I don't mind my dog or cat to eat crickets. My dog doesn't really like to eat crickets though, just play with them, but my cat does eat crickets. He hasn't gotten sick so far ,:)

Trellum, Aug 26, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Recently I see these girls trying to catch any flying thing. I guess I am too big to fly but I suspect Ginger try to get a bite of me if I could fly. On a serious note. I don't see a lot of crickets, but because I am scared of most things I might run and leave the girls to take matters into their own hands.

Winterybella, Aug 26, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

This sounds awful! I absolutely hate when people try to feed dogs that aren't theirs. My Homer wouldn't take anything from a stranger, but my neighbor's dog died, because he had eaten something poisoned, poor thing:(
    Of course I know that not everyone wants to poison Homer, but I'm careful and I tend not to trust people.

claudine, Aug 27, 2015
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

LOL, they sure can take care of themselves and you don't have to worry! If I live up north, I would not be out there with the dog since snakes usually just terrified me. I am now in the city, but I have a bad neighbor. I wonder which on is more of a scare: Human or snake? Don't want to find out :(

IcyBC, Aug 27, 2015
  8. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

The human snakes! Those are the ones that scare me. An angel has to come and tell me one of those human snakes did not kill my cat. With the creatures you know what to expect so you keep your distance for your safety. With the humans, you don't see the danger coming and when it comes. it's always too late. I pray we don't encounter any. I said the humans scare me, but I am honestly afraid of both.

Winterybella, Aug 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone hasn't gotten sick yet from eating these insects either. This year we have more rain than sun shine, so there weren't many, but he still is trying to hunt them down. I didn't see if he eats any since after doing some exercises with him, we went inside. If we leave him outside long enough, he would definitely find some :)

IcyBC, Aug 28, 2015
  10. IcyBC

@IcyBC Last year we had grasshoppers and crickets everywhere :O It was like a plague, so you can imagine who was eating a lot of them ;) I was a bit worried about it, but my cat didn't get sick. I think he only ate a few of them ;) There were too many to count, even in the city :eek: This year I have seen no crickets and grasshoppers.

Trellum, Aug 28, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I love summer for the weather, but it brings on a whole new set of trouble with having a dog! Too many new things to explore and too many different smells to sniff on.

Oh the creatures I see in the city surprised me! I saw possums, and my neighbor saw woodchucks!

IcyBC, Aug 29, 2015
  12. IcyBC

A woodchuck? :O Are you living near the country? Some years ago we had a problem with grey squirrels, they seemed to be everywhere and often saw them running around over the dividing wall that divides our garden from the neighbor's. I had heard about rabies and squirrels, I was afraid of them! Glad they're gone :confused:

Trellum, Aug 29, 2015
  13. IcyBC

Tomi Active Member

My dog likes to eat crickets and I would not be caught trying to stop his fun. I don't find anything wrong with that since it affects him in no way. I like to think of it as a special treat for him. Much like me eating termites.:p

Tomi, Aug 30, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  14. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone started this when he was a puppy, last year to be exact, and I was so worry about it until I talk to the vet. Now, he can eat them if he can catch them. I still have to watch him so he doesn't eat anything else that might make him sick!

IcyBC, Aug 31, 2015
  15. IcyBC

Tomi Active Member

Glad I have company @IcyBC. Wise of you to speak to the vet about Capone eating crickets. Me? Just followed my gut feeling. :D

Tomi, Aug 31, 2015
  16. IcyBC

joycemcgregor Active Member

I do not let my dog eat crickets. Their exterior is hard like a shell and I think it would be hard to digest. When I worked at our local animal shelter we had a stray cat brought in. During her first night with us she threw up in her cage and it contained mostly cricket bodies that were not digested. It was really gross, but she seemed to feel so much better after that. She threw up a couple more times that second day and there were some cricket bodies present, but not many. Because of that, I do not want my dog eating crickets. She is a small dog, only 10lbs, and I am afraid it would upset her system.

joycemcgregor, Sep 2, 2015
  17. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

No, @Trellum I live smack right in the middle of a big city, but there are some rednecks that live around us, particularly behind me and my neighbor. He chopped woods and stacked them in his yard, and my neighbor video taped the woodchuck eating his vegetables and going in and out of the wood pile. He showed me the video and asked if he called Animal Control...It is too wild :)

IcyBC, Sep 4, 2015
  18. IcyBC

@IcyBC Lol, that is so funny! How did you end up living so close to those two? My uncle (dad side) is a bit of a redneck too, gosh, the things he says and does... Always cracks me up ;) Never fails to do that. At least your redneck neighbors are very nice and make you laugh ;D

Trellum, Sep 4, 2015
  19. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Lots of city rednecks live on my street and around here! Everyone brings a bit of country style and carries out! The other guy on my left side of the house, he parked his car on the grass and played loud music, tossing left over food on the lawn and over to mine too. He is drunk and high on most days. So there is no telling with these people of what they will do next :)

IcyBC, Sep 6, 2015
  20. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Some can't take a certain thing for sure! In my neighborhood we have lots of stray cats, including cats that have owners but they just let the cat out to do whatever. These cats eat everything they could find including mice or rats. I really don't see the point of owning a cat for these people since the cat will just roam the outside.

IcyBC, Sep 6, 2015
Ask a Question