Do you leave your pets home for long periods of time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I was just wondering how many of you leave their pets alone at home for long periods. I know a lot people work full time and life alone, so have no choice. That can be terrible for both a dog and a cat. I'm fortunate enough not to have that problem, because I work from home and spend a lot time at home, so yes, I am home all day bugging my Bob and Frida, hehehe!

What about you? Do you leave your pets alone at home for very long?

Trellum, Apr 8, 2015
  2. Trellum

peacekeeper New Member

I actually do leave my Sheba at home alone during the time I'm at work. However I had my baby since she was 7wks. I must admit I've trained her well. We take a nice long walk in the morning before I leave, as well as I make sure she has plenty of water and food that will last throughout the day. I have no worries or concerns about her making a mess or destroying anything. She is seven years of age currently, and before I leave I always inform her of where it is I heading to and that it is her responsibility to take care of the house. She loves taking care of the house I must admit. I feel joy from watching how excited she gets when I say those words to her.

peacekeeper, Apr 12, 2015
    ilovemybooboo likes this.
  3. Trellum

Oh my, she sounds like a sweetheart!!!! Does she really get very excited when you tell her that? I sometimes have serious doubts my Frida can understand me, but after reading things like this I feel hopeful!!! Kudos to you for raising her well!!! It's beautiful when you know you can leave your dog home alone for hours, knowing you won't find a mighty mess when you come back. What breed is your girl?

Trellum, Apr 12, 2015
  4. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Sometimes I am out from 9am-9pm and those times the dogs are left at home alone. I leave them with enough to eat and drink and by the time I return there are just delighted to see me. I don't think they especially like to be left alone for those long hours but they are for the most part good girls. I leave them in my outside patio if I am going to gone the whole day and indoors if I am going to be gone for half day or so. Once I am home they go potty and we are good to go.

My bigger dog spends most of his time outdoors which is kind of sad but I am trying to convince my husband to let spend more time indoors..He still sees her as a guard dog and believes that guard dogs are for outside. That's the thinking of most in my culture.

As for the little one that I just adopted, she's broken some house rules and I am considering crating her as she's not following the house rules well. I never thought I would consider crating but Lord knows she is a handful.

Winterybella, Apr 12, 2015
  5. Trellum

I feel for you, Anne! Raising a puppy like that is tough! I had a puppy like that, I tried everything and yes even crating. She didn't care and still made a huge mess! Some dogs seem impossible to potty train.

Best of luck with everything! You will need it. I hope Ginger wakes up soon and start behaving accordingly. There is nothing that irks me more then when a puppy (despite many attempts to train it), keeps doing its business indoors.

Can you believe that puppy wouldn't poo on the newspapers either? I almost covered the room's floor with them... Yes she found a way to do her business in the only spot that wasn't covered in newspapers.

Trellum, Apr 13, 2015
  6. Trellum

Right now I am reading your post and I am at the point of tears. I don't know maybe it's other stuff but not being able to control this little one gets overwhelming and just as it always goes, my son who wanted her as his very own, can't keep up.

I've tried the paper thing and to be honest she'll pee on paper and maybe once or twice did her business on it but she is nowhere near consistent. Tonight is going to be one of those long nights but I can assure you that when I get in she's going to have her business waiting for me and not in the spot. My other girls will wait until I get home and let them out to do their business. Do you know what drives me crazy with this little one? I'll let her out with the others, they will do their stuff and she's come right back in and mess on the floor. Oh my God!!!

Winterybella, Apr 13, 2015
  7. Trellum

Oh Anne, I totally get you! The dog I was talking about it was a dog I got some years ago, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had to find her a better home, I just couldn't keep up with coming back home and cleaning that mess. It's so frustrating, because my Frida learnt from day one she shouldn't do that! The other dog... well, I tried all, even the vinegar and lemon tip... didn't work. Have you tried that one?

Gosh, so she goes out too and just wait to get in to do her business inside? I'd be frustrated as well!!! It's so tough, but I think she hasn't already linked outside with doing ''her business''. Some dogs take what feels like forever to create that link in their minds. I wish I could help you, but I really don't have a lot tips to offer, since I obviously failed with that dog. Nothing worked, not crating... no anything.

Best of luck, I hope she wakes up soon! By the way, can't your son or husband let her out during the day while you are not home? Also, did you have so much trouble with your other dogs as well?

Trellum, Apr 14, 2015
  8. Trellum

No trouble at all. Remy who I joke is a "ghetto dog" learned quickly and Zola the daughter even though she's quite special and don't really like to be outside for too long, she knows FOR the most part to call me when she wants to go. The morning bathroom break is standard. It's this little bundle of "joy" that's not cooperating. We are all mostly out at the same time. Today my son leaves later so he's look in on them.

Please share the vinegar and lemon tip. Before I throw in the towel I have to find a way to spend more time training her. I also think she needs more toys.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Winterybella, Apr 14, 2015
  9. Trellum

Oh I see! Well, the lemon and vinegar mix is something dogs don't like one bit. Most dogs sniff the place where they are going to poo or pee before they do it. Not sure it works so well with puppies, but with adult dogs it does, we used it to stop our dog from pooing on a place we didn't want him to. You just need mix some vinegar and lemon juice together. Then put it inside of one of those bottles that you use to spray things with. I tried that with that puppy, I saw her thinking twice before pooing... lol... she had to look very good a place where I hadn't sprayed that mix... always found it.

Trellum, Apr 15, 2015
  10. Trellum

This morning I lost a bra I had for several years. A special one:(. I still don't know how she got it. I can only assume it was hanging from the clothes basket or something like that and when I returned it was partially eaten up. I left her in my bedroom with the other dogs for less than half and hour and by the time I returned all the damage was done.

Do you know the sad part? She still makes me smile and she's the most destructive, noisy, disobedient dog I have ever encountered.

Winterybella, Apr 15, 2015
  11. Trellum

Oh no!!!! So sorry about your bra! I truly hope this is just a phase... my mom's bitter vicious dog (both bitter of things and people) once destroyed to tiny pieces my mom's favorite sweater. When we got home we found the sweater... it looked more like confetti, no kidding! He was the most destructive dog I have ever met. I truly hope you can potty train her soon, also hope she outgrows that biting habit :(

Trellum, Apr 16, 2015
  12. Trellum

Today I decided to stay at home. She is being prerty good today. I mean I still don't know how she reached it or how she found it.It made me sad losing it.

My son is starting to be miserable about her. The noise she makes is disturbing his sleep so now he's talking about letting her sleep in the garage. From bed to garage? He has to be concerned and do you know what? She makes me smile still. I feel like she is much better being supervised constanly.

Winterybella, Apr 16, 2015
  13. Trellum

Yes, you know? After all she is very small! She is just a puppy and spends too much time alone at home, so odds are she just needs some supervision. After all that stage can be a bit difficult, and some dogs have a harder time during that stage if they do unsupervised.Others don't, but like with people everyone is different?

Trellum, Apr 17, 2015
  14. Trellum

Another day home with the little ones. My husband might not be happy but I am happy to be here with them and them with me. I feel like I need the therapy they provide. I have had to take about four things from Ginger so far but I am not fretting. Maybe she'll come around eventually.

Winterybella, Apr 21, 2015
  15. Trellum

I love your optimism :) How is the potty training going? Is it getting better in that department or no improvement so far? I hope things do get better in that department. And I agree with you, there is something about dogs that calm me down too :) The love and understanding they offer is one of the purest kinds of love one can ever experience :)

Trellum, Apr 22, 2015
  16. Trellum

The potty training isn't going too well but if I am being honest, I might be partly to blame. Like this morning. I usually let them all outside and with her I can never tell, but the other girls do their stuff. Sometimes when I stand and watch she's just about playing with the other bigger dog who spends most of her time outside. (that's another story).

So back to this morning. I know it's the rule to let them out and Ginger is not like the others. If I am taking too long, they will get me out of bed. This morning I just did not feel like getting up and the others did not call me. I should not have expected Ginger to be able to hold out like the others so she did her thing and then I had to end up cleaning since I had not left her a crate. I am actually trying to get her to be on the same program as the others which might not be fair her being much younger. I think she has a lot of potential to be fine, but I also have to consistent.

Winterybella, Apr 23, 2015
  17. Trellum

Sorry, I hadn't seen this message until now :( How are things going with Ginger and her potty-training? Is she showing improvement or not? I hope she is, she is still young, but you have no choice but trying to teach her now. Otherwise it will be harder later on.

Trellum, May 9, 2015
  18. Trellum

Ginger is still ginger, still unpredictable. I feel I need to spend more time with her and be more consistent. I just got some news from my son that has me a little confuse and unsettled. He is telling me one of his friends will take her if she's not going to grow anymore. I don't know she is still up for the taking.:confused: How do you really disrupt this right here:
    IMG_20150509_104926.jpg

Winterybella, May 9, 2015
  19. Trellum

I know how you feel, my mom is a senior, so she can no longer take care of dogs. I love her dog too, but she is giving it a away :( I can't take it because I'll be gone soon :( But I will miss him so much, someone has shown interest on him... As for your Ginger, it's a pity she hasn't learnt yet! At least the others are not following her example, that would be terrible. Do what your heart tells you is the right thing for you :)

Trellum, May 10, 2015
  20. Trellum

She is family now even if she is a handful. I have to wait and see if the young lady is serious and while Ginger is extra work that sometimes leaves me a little stressed, it will be hard to see her go. I don't know what to do. I will wait and see if the young lady is serious and capable and not doing this to impress my son.

Winterybella, May 10, 2015
Ask a Question