Do you keep a pet first aid kit handy?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I came across this list today. It made me realize that I don't really have many of these items on hand to take care of emergencies. I could clean a wound in a pinch. My previous dog hurt her pads so often that I was an old pro at leg wounds. I've got the dog hood if needed. I keep Benadryl on hand for Misha's allergic reactions. But, I don't have much else.

Do you have a pet first aid kit? If so, did you buy a special kit or did you collect your own supplies to have them handy? What would you add to this list?
    http://www.avma.org/firstaid/supplies.asp

Melody, Jul 21, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm, no, I don't. I've dealt with injuries a few times, but just used a regular first aid kit without anything pet-specific. I do like that they have a leash on the list. We keep ours in a specific place at all times anyway, so it's not hard to find, but it could be a good idea to tuck one in the kit so it's handy in the event of an emergency you and you don't have to leave the dog again to go get it.

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
  3. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

No I don't but I may get a muzzle as Mishka can get cranky when she is in pain. I do have some anti inflammatories from when she injured her leg an have used them again. Then there are common use tweezers and tea tree oil to remove ticks and lastly a sprain bandage in case of snake bite.
    Food for thought.

argon_0, Jul 22, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I haven't even considered a muzzle. I don't own one. :S

If they're in pain and out of character, though, then I can see how that might be a necessary precaution. *adds to shopping list*

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I found out a muzzle was a good idea after our vet checked out Mishka's dislocated leg. It must have been sore. Mishka tried to bite the vet. :( The muzzle was put on her so the vet could continue the examination.

argon_0, Jul 23, 2012
  6. Melody

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

No, I don't have a first aid kit for my dogs! I didn't even know these existed. I need to put one together right away! Thank you so much for posting this question!! Oh and thanks for the link too. Everyone should have a list of what to do in case of emergencies at the very least and especially a first aid kit!!

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 12, 2012
  7. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I have been considering getting myself a muzzle for the two dogs who've been actively seeking to destroy each other ( well, actually there's little Buchi who keeps on trying to kill Whitey in all his failed attempt). But here are some things I do try to have in handy in my container of medical kit.

1. Betadine for Wounds
    2. Gauze
    3. Cotton
    4. Ilium (this is a steroidal eye ointment)
    5. Styptic powder (but cornstarch will do if something happens)
    6. plastic syringes for their oral medicine
    7. A small pair of scissors to cut fur surrounding wounds and for grooming
    8. Alcohol or antiseptic wipes
    9. Hydrogen peroxide (used to either induce committing or clean wounds)

haopee, Sep 13, 2012
  8. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, I don't have first aid kit specifically for my dogs. When my dogs need first aid, I use whatever I have in my own kit. Most of the things that we use can be used on dogs. Things like anti-septic solutions and acriflavin can be used safely on dogs and humans alike.

Victor Leigh, Sep 13, 2012
  9. Melody

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

I never thought of this. It would be nice to have this around the house. I will definitely look into it.

pilot2fly, Oct 1, 2012
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Like most of you, I don't have a special first aid kit for my dog either. Fortunately Homer hasn't had any bigger injuries yet and I hope he'll never will. But of course it's better to be prepared. Although we both panic very easily and when I see that he is hurt, I immidiately run to our vet - even if it's not really an emergency.

claudine, Oct 7, 2012
Ask a Question