Do you give your dogs real bones?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Pocs, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Pocs

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't have to buy Candy a leather belt. She found mine one night while I was asleep. And, as they say, the rest is history. The belt definitely is history.

Victor Leigh, Sep 3, 2012
  2. Pocs

MakingCents Well-Known Member

We give our dog a bone that is intended for him to eat. It's a real bone that's meant for eating though so it's safe. He LOVES them.

MakingCents, Sep 4, 2012
  3. Pocs

pafjlh Well-Known Member

It depends on the type of bone, we will give them a ham bone or a steak bone. However, we stopped giving our dogs chicken bones awhile back. We had a bad experience with one of our dogs almost choking on a chicken bone, so from then on we just would thrown chicken bones away.

pafjlh, Sep 15, 2012
  4. Pocs

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

The only downside to raw bone feeding, is the smell of marrow you get wafting through the air, or on their snouts if they come and try to give you a slobbery kiss later. It's digussssstiiiiing. Then there's the horrible squelching sound as they're trying to suck the marrow OUT of the bone, and the crunching noise they make when they break through the joint. But then, if I were squeamish about all that, I wouldn't be able to keep my dogs. I don't like the bone marrow smell, but everything else? It just shows me they're happy and enjoying their treat.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 18, 2012
  5. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

Evil, do you give them raw or cooked bones? I've never really noticed the marrow smell before. Then again, we mostly make him take his bones outside, so I don't get much exposure to the smell anyway.

Jessi, Sep 21, 2012
  6. Pocs

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

ALWAYS raw, never cooked. Cooked bones are bad, because they splinter and that's the potential to choke, right there. The splinters are also prone to stabbing them through their intestines, and that's a potentially fatal and expensive operation too.

You can buy roasted bones from petstores, but I won't give them, it makes no sense to. They have to sell them like that, because they're not allowed to sell raw produce. That's usually why you have to get them from a butcher, at least you do here in the UK, anyway.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 22, 2012
  7. Pocs

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

No, although they loved them. They were cutting their mouths on them too often, even when we only gave them bones from steak and pork chops.

OhioTom76, Sep 29, 2012
  8. Pocs

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I used to give my dogs bones but not anymore. I am trying to cut out all non dog food for my pets but also bones are very dangerous because they can splinter and dogs can choke on them. Especially chicken bones. I give my dog the rawhide bones from the store only now.

iluvmario, Oct 29, 2012
  9. Pocs

megsy23 Member

Yes, but always be sure to watch them eat it. Our vet told us they are very easy to choke on. You wouldn't want to give them raw bones and leave, for example. They could end up choking on it.

megsy23, Oct 29, 2012
  10. Pocs

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I know that small dogs shouldn't be given bones so I try not to do so - unfortunately, my boyfriend's father isn't as understanding on these issues as I am. He's old school so he thinks that all dogs - regardless of size - should be given bones. I've finally convinced him to only give my dog pork bones because they won't shatter and hurt him like chicken bones would. I don't like to do this though because I still consider it a hazard. I'd rather buy him a nice rawhide milk bone and let him chew on that for a while :)

bellahpereira, Nov 6, 2012
  11. Pocs

pigeon_small Active Member

Sometimes I'll give my dog a cooked turkey bone. But I don't like to give him chicken bones like I used to.

pigeon_small, Nov 6, 2012
  12. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

So why are you okay giving him turkey bones? They're still poultry bones and could splinter like chicken ones, right? I would be just as scared with those.

Jessi, Nov 7, 2012
    pigeon_small likes this.
  13. Pocs

I don't have to buy the bones I give to my dogs. I just go to my friend's restaurant. He uses a lot of pig bones to make his soup. So there are lots of bones which he throws away anyway everyday. I know those boiled bones are practically devoid of nutrition but my dogs chew on them just for the exercise.

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
  14. Pocs

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Soup bones are ok for dogs I think. OFten times you can get them from the butcher for real cheap.

MakingCents, Nov 9, 2012
  15. Pocs

pigeon_small Active Member

I can't really say. It's just from my experience chicken bones seem to be a lot sharper than turkey bones. But then I guess a lot depends on how it was cooked.

pigeon_small, Nov 9, 2012
  16. Pocs

Well, that restaurant owner friend of mine also sells chicken rice. Sometimes I get the de-fleshed chicken bones from him. I pay for those, though, because they still have some meat sticking on them. So far my dogs don't have any problem with cooked chicken bones. Maybe it's because they have been eating bones since they were puppies so they know how to chew the bones the right way. You know, sort of like how cats eat fish bones without any problem.

Victor Leigh, Nov 9, 2012
Ask a Question