Do you give your dog yogurt?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

As my previous dog aged, the veterinarian recommended that I give her yogurt a couple of times a day. This was to aid her digestion. My sister's dog is 11 and having digestive issues. Her veterinarian has also recommended yogurt. Her dog is usually picky about eating, but add a tablespoon of yogurt to her dog food and she is the happiest dog around!

Do you give your dog yogurt? If so, have you found it helps your dog?

(By yogurt, I mean the unsweetened plain kind. The other flavors really aren't good for a dog.)

Melody, Aug 15, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Not quite yoghurt. Mishka gets a teaspoon of probiotics in her evening meal.

argon_0, Aug 15, 2012
  3. Melody

nikki Well-Known Member

Well not directly. The kids dont like greek yoghurt so the dogs end up with it more often than not. They seem to like the blueberries in theirs!

nikki, Aug 15, 2012
  4. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Yes, we give our dog yogurt on a daily basis. It definitely helps his digestion. His favorite treat actually is a bone made out of yogurt.

MakingCents, Aug 15, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have never done that or heard it either. Well for humans I've heard that it's good, but I hadn't considered it for dogs at all.

Jessi, Aug 16, 2012
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure my Homer doesn't like yogurt because when I'm eating it, he doesn't try to steal it nor beg for it what he normally do when he wants something. Although, if it's so healthy, maybe I'll add a little bit of it to his meals from time to time:) .

claudine, Oct 9, 2012
  7. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

My family has never fed any of our dogs yogurt not that I can remember. But when you stop to think about it, yogurt is suppose to be good for the digestion because of the live cultures in it. So I guess if it has those benefits for humans it can have the same benefits for dogs. I guess its not so odd for a vet to suggest feeding it to a dog.

pafjlh, Oct 9, 2012
  8. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Just remember if you give your dog yogurt it needs to be the plain unsweetened type. The other varieties have too much sugar in them and they might have other ingredients that would be harmful to your dog.

I gave yogurt to my previous dog. It helped her digestion in her later years. So far, Misha has a goat's digestion and doesn't need much help.

Melody, Oct 10, 2012
  9. Melody

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I usually eat all the yogurt since it is one of my favorite healthy snacks. I saw an employee at a pet store giving the puppies plain yogurt one day when I was shopping for bones for my dogs. He told me it was a safe food for dogs. I will start doing this soon.

iluvmario, Oct 23, 2012
  10. Melody

megsy23 Member

I do not but it's okay in moderation. I would definitely opt for unsweetened and without fruits that dogs should avoid.

megsy23, Oct 29, 2012
  11. Melody

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I have never tried to give my dog yogurt, nor do I know if he would like it. It's good to know that it would aid the digestion though, that way when he gets older, I know how to fix his issues :) Although, I would have to check with his vet first because he seems to have a sensitive stomach. I would imagine this to be something that only needs to be done when they become really old. My dog is only 2 so I think I have time before this becomes an issue :p

bellahpereira, Nov 19, 2012
Ask a Question