Do You Give Your Dog Raw Hide to Chew?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by IcyBC, Aug 4, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what you think about giving your dog raw hide to chew on? When Capone was younger, my daughter gave a raw hide to chew, he enjoyed chewing on it until he got a piece of it loose and swallow. He ended up puking for a few times.

Now that he is older, I just introduced raw hide again to help him cleaning up his teeth. So far so good, and he has been able to enjoy chewing the raw hide again now. What do you think of giving raw hide to your dog?

IcyBC, Aug 4, 2015
  2. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

I've never given Homer raw hide. I think he'd swallow it.
    When he was a puppy, we gave him a pig's ear. He loved it, but it smelled really bad:confused:

claudine, Aug 4, 2015
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Pig ear and some other treats out there very smelly and when the dogs passed gas, it is even worst. If I buy treats for Capone, I usually bought the natural ones with no flavors!

IcyBC, Aug 5, 2015
  4. IcyBC

I know, I won't make the same mistake ever again. The smell was horrible:confused: Homer used to carry that ear everywhere with him. He was the happiest when it started rotting:eek::confused:

claudine, Aug 5, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

thegrey1 Member

We give ours rawhide chews. They are both several years old, so they don't seem to have a problem with them. What I wonder about are those chew things that come in green or white, that are supposed to clean their teeth. My dogs love the taste, and supposedly they are edible, but they look and feel like plastic! I don't feel comfortable giving them to my dogs anymore, because I don't know what the heck they are! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? They are sometimes packaged under the name, "greenies." Walmart and other stores sell them.

thegrey1, Aug 5, 2015
  6. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. I bought those dental greenies treats once because Capone had bad breath when he was a puppy. Not only those things were expensive, they also gave him a horrible run!

If you read the ingredients, you will find out that they have so many things in there that you can't even pronounce. I won't ever buy them again. I only buy natural and no flavors!

IcyBC, Aug 6, 2015
  7. IcyBC

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! Homer loves those dental green treats, so I often buy them. He has never been sick after eating them.

claudine, Aug 6, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

Both me and my mom get our dogs raw hide to chew and other treats that might be helpful cleaning their teeth :) My frida enjoys those so much, I give her one every frida evening, I sometimes think she is really looking forward to that. I can sometimes see it on her small face.

Trellum, Aug 6, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

When he was a puppy, he choked on them and puked so I didn't give him any until now. He seems to manage just fine now, and it helps with his teeth build up. I just hate the thought that it gets so dirty, and wet the rug when he chews this.

IcyBC, Aug 8, 2015
  10. IcyBC

I don't like it when that happens either, that is why I always give this to her outside in the yard. I think she seems to really link going outside with a lot of good things, like getting her raw hide to chew on :) I suffer from OCD, so it's for the best (I don't like the possibility of getting permanent stains somewhere in the house), hehehe.

Trellum, Aug 8, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have to give up a rug for him to do his rawhide chewing on. Replacing a rug is still cheaper than a dentist bill. Sometimes, I think we baby our dogs too much to the point of treating them like human, and wonder how dogs live in countries that allow dogs to take care of themselves.

Me, I only want to keep the vet bill as low as I can support Capone with my limited income!

IcyBC, Aug 9, 2015
  12. IcyBC

Same here :( Living in this time of crisis is tough! I'm glad your Capone is a good boy and chews his raw hide on that carpet you put specially for him to do that. I'm not sure if my Frida would agree to do that, lol. It must be nice to have a dog who is that agreeable. My girl sometimes reminds me of a rebellious teenager :p

Trellum, Aug 9, 2015
  13. IcyBC

Tomi Active Member

I had a dog that liked to chew on leather. He started to take our shoes as well and would hide them to chew them later. I thought it was funny until my new leather boot disappeared.

Tomi, Sep 2, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  14. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that about your new boot, but it was kind of creative of your dog :) I am sort of lucky as Capone doesn't seem to be interested in chewing shoes (knock on wood), but my niece is going through the same thing as you. It gets kind of expensive!

IcyBC, Sep 10, 2015
Ask a Question