Do you give humans food to your dog?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by LaneAlf, Jul 21, 2016.

1. LaneAlf

LaneAlf Member

I'm not really sure if this has been posted before, but I really want to hear your thoughts on this one.
    As dog owners, I think that we all know that most of the dogs loves human food, but a part of us is afraid that this food is going to be bad for them. So, what I always do is that before I give certain food to them I google it and read if it's safe for dogs, that makes me feel a little bit better for giving that food to them.

What about you? Do you give humans food to your dog?

LaneAlf, Jul 21, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. LaneAlf

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am addressing all of your questions @LaneAlf:). Maybe it's a good time to say welcome to the forum as well.I was telling someone recently that my dogs prefer to eat only my food. As you check previous threads you will find several suggestions of what they should stay away from. That said, I think I have a good idea of what not to feed them. I've been thinking of raw feeding for years but I know for a fact that my girls would rather me take their meat from the pot as I am feeding myself.

Winterybella, Jul 21, 2016
    LaneAlf likes this.
  3. LaneAlf

remnant Well-Known Member

Dogs have more efficient digestive systems than humans and one need not have concerns as to whether human food is appropriate for them. The fact that view can handle comes is testimony enough. Over time as a result of domestication, dogs have become omnivores. Most people in my region give their leftover food to dogs thereby eliminating wastage. This also ensures that they get a balanced diet.

remnant, Jul 21, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  4. LaneAlf

cluckeyo Active Member

Yes my dog loves people food. She always gets some of my steak whenever we have that. She loves pizza and ice cream, any kind of lunch meat. I don't really believe all the hoopla about not feeding dogs people food. I think a lot of that is bogus. My dog is 15 and healthy!

cluckeyo, Jul 27, 2016
  5. LaneAlf

claudine Well-Known Member

My father often shares his food with Homer. They both love fish, oatmeal, and cooked vegetables.
    I sometimes give Homer small pieces of my bread and buckwheat. It makes him very, very happy:)

claudine, Jul 27, 2016
  6. LaneAlf

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We have that bad habit of giving crumbs to our dogs that's why our 2 dogs who are loose inside the house are in the dining room when we are having a meal. They love to partake of our meals. But we are selective in what to give them. The best is fish and next is chicken. We never give them bones even in fish, we take away the bones before giving them the flesh of the fish. Besides, we don't put salt in our food so it is all right to give some to our dogs.

By the way, we feed our dogs with cooked food and they only have canned dog food in the morning. For lunch and dinner, their usual fare is boiled chicken or fish.

Corzhens, Jul 27, 2016
  7. LaneAlf

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have read that it's really not a great idea to be feeding them the scraps from the table and I could see how it could develop the begging attitude that really isn't good for them. I had a problem with mine being too greedy and for a while I asked everyone not to feed them from the plate so to speak. I think things were going good and then I started to fall for that longing look and I gave in and we are back down that dangerous begging road. I take a seat at the table and they sit all around me.....and I find myself trying to split my food in four myself included.

Winterybella, Jul 27, 2016
  8. LaneAlf

IcyBC Well-Known Member

We rarely give our dog human food because it might bring out behavior problem, and usually people don't like to see dog begging when they eat.

We give him treats such as blueberries, watermelon, apple and carrots once in a while, but when we are sitting down for a meal, he is sent away to chew on his raw hide.

IcyBC, Aug 2, 2016
  9. LaneAlf

amelia88 Well-Known Member

We occasionally do but we are very cautious and careful to ensure its food that is okay for dogs to consume.

One thing that banjo loves, and that is really good for dogs is baked sweet potato. It helps their digestion too so it's good if they have a stomach upset.

amelia88, Aug 2, 2016
Ask a Question