Do you feed your dogs table scraps?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by christina, Apr 26, 2012.

1. christina

christina Member

I usually do feed my dogs our leftover foods. I have heard that it gives them worms if fed to often. I treat them for worms every few months just in case! Do you feed your dogs your leftovers?

christina, Apr 26, 2012
  2. christina

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I don't feed him very many table scraps, but every once in awhile if he's really good druing a meal ( meaning he doesn't beg for food he just lays on his bed) he'll get a bite of something before we clean up the dishes. I try to stick to giving him his own food as a treat though.

MakingCents, Apr 26, 2012
  3. christina

zararina Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the breed of the dog.
    There are dogs that seems to easily get or have worms compared to other breeds. Mixed breeds seems to be less delicate in terms of foods as we have mixed breed dogs and we give them human foods without any problem on it.

zararina, Apr 26, 2012
  4. christina

kinser Well-Known Member

I don't usually, but that doesn't mean they don't get a treat here and there (like if my son doesn't finish his steak). A lot of people food isn't good for dogs (or is just plain toxic, such as in the case of onions or raisins), and it can lead to weight-gain. Then there's the gas problem....:confused:. When I was growing up, my mom fed all of our left-over table scraps to the dogs. I don't do that.

kinser, Apr 26, 2012
  5. christina

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, May 2, 2012
  6. christina

Jalisa7 Member

Worms from table scraps? Never heard of that, but I doubt it would happen. But I don't like giving table scraps simply because, as someone else said, I don't want my pup to beg for food every time she she's someone eating. Now, getting the family not to give table scraps is another story.

Now I don't give table scraps but once in the blue she will get some raw steak or chicken as a nice treat.. But that is only AFTER she eats her normal food.

Jalisa7, May 2, 2012
  7. christina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Where Candy is concerned, she expects a share of what I eat. She would just sit patiently next to my chair while I eat. Then when I am finished, she would stand up for her share. So I always make sure that I have some left-over for her. Of course, I also feed her regular dog food.

Victor Leigh, May 3, 2012
  8. christina

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I try to make a point of not giving my dogs human food. One of my dogs shows food aggression so she is on restriction. I still give them a bite of two from time to time, but not often.

iluvmario, Feb 18, 2013
  9. christina

claudine Well-Known Member

I sometimes share some of my food with Homer - but not everything and never in bigger amounts. He gets a piece of sandwich or some of my vegetables. My parents also give him some meat, he loves it.

claudine, Feb 20, 2013
  10. christina

Angelle Member

Yes, I did. :( I know that I should adhere to feeding my dog foods that is actually healthy but when we would sit down for dinner, she would give me the saddest face ever. I couldn't help but get her doggy bowl, and place food inside. She was so happy once she got a taste of what we were having. I no longer have my dog but when I purchase another one, I will surely stick to feeding them dog food. I wouldn't want my dog to become ill due to actions.

Angelle, Feb 23, 2013
  11. christina

shdws Well-Known Member

No I definitely don't. Seasoning used to cook human food can make a dog very ill. Dogs have a different digestive system to our own.

shdws, Feb 27, 2013
  12. christina

Jessi Well-Known Member

Very true.

While passing along some vegetables or a piece of chicken, etc, wouldn't be bad on its own, most people add other things to their dishes. Something as simple as onions could end up being fatal to a dog, though, and it's little things like that which make it so that I usually recommend people not give their pets table scraps at all. That's not to mention all the grease/fat that tends to be used and that would be passed on, too.

Jessi, Feb 27, 2013
  13. christina

jowjo5 Active Member

We try not to feed them a lot of it, but we also have three children and the dogs know who to sit beside. We have one dog who will sit behind my husband and talk to him during supper. Yes, talk. More of a low grumble sound, not mad, just how he communicates to let him know that he is there.
    And my husband is guilty of sneaking food behind him for this dog. The two of them are in on this together.

So, we try, but because of children and my husband who is really a large child, they do get some table food at times.

They dont seem bothered by it and love it so we try not to do it all the time.

jowjo5, Feb 27, 2013
  14. christina

trishgl Well-Known Member

Our Vet advised against it. My sons sometimes share their meat with our chow who likes laying down under the table when we eat. Our vet cautioned us saying that if the dog eats these foods off the table then she might not eat her dog food which has the proper amounts of vitamins, minerals, protein etc for her. The dog may become malnourished and that can lead to all sorts of illnesses.

trishgl, Mar 24, 2013
  15. christina

Jessi Well-Known Member

Trish, that's logical, but at the same time, a lot of storebought foods are going to be filled with fillers anyway. While a dog should never be fed only table scraps and they should definitely be kept in check/moderation.... I think that if your sons are sharing meat (instead of other unhealthy foods), then it's a good thing for them.

Jessi, Mar 25, 2013
Ask a Question