Do you feed your dog vegetables?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, May 5, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm always looking for healthy treats for my dog, Misha. That dog would eat 24 hours a day if I let her.

I've found that she really likes vegetables. She gets excited when I steam a batch of vegetables. She waits by my side until they cool. Then she begs for a baby carrot. They're her favorite.

I love to give me dog treats, but I worry about her gaining weight. She is small, so it wouldn't take much for her to be overweight. Vegetables are an easy way to give her something healthy while making her feel like she is getting a treat.

Do you give your dog vegetables?

Melody, May 5, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, I do! It's part of his food I make him anyway, but as a treat, I'll sometimes, do it.

I think one of my favorites to do is peas because he'll chase them around the room with his tongue, hehe. Vegetables are a great way to help a dog lose weight, too, because most want to eat, eat, eat, so veggies help them feel full without scarfing down a ton of calories.

Jessi, May 6, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I think it's great that you make your dog food. I don't have the time, but I do try to give my dog the best food I can. At least I know when I give Misha vegetables, she's getting something healthy.

I can see your dog chasing the peas around the room. It's almost as funny as watching a dog eat peanut butter.

Melody, May 6, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Pfft. I don't have time to go to the store every couple weeks to pick up food either. ;) I just make a whole month's worth of food at one time, toss it in the freezer, and pull out what I need every day. It really doesn't take much time, in my opinion, so I end up saving time in the long run (and money, hehe).

[​IMG]'

^ That's at least a month's worth in my sink, ready to be packed up and frozen. :)

Jessi, May 6, 2012
  5. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I once had a Spitz mix that ate everything I did. So when I ate watermelon, Terry wanted some. When I ate banana, she wanted some, too. Terry also drank everything I did. I drank Coke. Terry drank Coke. I drank coffee. Terry drank coffee. She even went so far as to try the ashes in my ash try. That's where I drew the line. However that did not stop her from watching me closely whenever I smoked.

Victor Leigh, May 6, 2012
  6. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, I do feed my dogs vegetables and I do have some dogs that love it a lot.
    Usually they prefer those green leafy vegetables specially when cooked together with some meat.

zararina, May 6, 2012
  7. Melody

kinser Well-Known Member

One of my dogs absolutely loves veggies and fruit. He begs for carrots when I'm peeling them. My other dog won't eat a lot of them.

kinser, May 6, 2012
  8. Melody

vida New Member

MY dog loves fruits and veggis more than chicken or mutton i guess. His favorites are watermelon, mango, pineapple, cucumber, brinjall and tomato. He literally begs me to give some to him when i'm cutting them. and the way he relishes it is a pleasure to watch. Sometimes I think he must have been a cow in his past life...

vida, May 13, 2012
  9. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. But I try to focus more on veggies with protein like Peas. Yesterday I cooked them viand for their dog food. I bought a kilo of chicken, tomato sauce, carrots and peas.

It's odd how dogs here hate eating dog food alone. I suppose that's because people here generally feed their dogs left overs from their own meals. So it's hard to keep a dog interested in eating those brown pellets no matter how intriguing their shapes look.

haopee, May 14, 2012
  10. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Haopee, can you tell me what other veggies you focus on? I tend to use lots of different veggies, but I didn't really know that some had more protein than others. I'd like to bump up that nutrition category in mine if possible.

Jessi, May 14, 2012
Ask a Question