Do you feed your dog premium or store brand dog food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jenna, Feb 25, 2012.

1. jenna

jenna Member

I usually feed my dog premium dog food. Is premium food really made with higher quality ingredients?

jenna, Feb 25, 2012
  2. jenna

inTHEsane Active Member

I experimented a lot with types of food for my dog, and for him I've only really found one type that gives him no problems. It also now is the one
    he hasn't eaten the most of the years so may be use to it as well. My parents always had the premium dog foods recommend by their vet,
    and occasionally would give me a bag around the holidays and what not. Some weren't to bad but others I find him pooping a lot more and/or puking because it seems the name brand ones bloat up before he can digest them. I get him Ole Roy High Performance some of the other Ole Roy do the same thing, but the high performance is littler bites to start with but intended for big dogs, so it may just be that. Overall health and mood for him is best on the high performance[brown bag] ole roy.

inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012
  3. jenna

Yorkie78 Member

My Yorkie eats premium food. It's called, "Taste of the Wild." Yorkie's tummies can be a bit "picky." My large dogs eat Purina Dog Chow. They are all healthy.

Yorkie78, Feb 25, 2012
  4. jenna

inTHEsane Active Member

I also forgot to mention in my original Response, my dog is healthy too. He has not been sick or to a vet in over 6 years that I have had him.
    I went threw a lot of moving and transitions over the years, so getting him was always difficult but never needed. He has been healthy as a horse
    since the first week. I had smoked cigarettes then and he was not use to being in a room with that, some fear and him blowing snot out his
    nose later, I realized what it was and he has been in perfect health since. Aside from a few hiking soar muscles and such.

inTHEsane, Feb 26, 2012
    Jahnfrederick likes this.
  5. jenna

summerRain Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any problem when I started feeding my new puppy with pedigree puppy complete. His poop is consistently formed and he's really active and healthy. I've never tried any brand yet and I am afraid to try other brands because his tummy is getting used to what he eats right now.

summerRain, Feb 26, 2012
  6. jenna

zararina Well-Known Member

Tried to feed some dog foods but our dog really prefers rice meals. :p
    So we just give him rice with dishes. As for the question if premium dog foods are made with fine ingredients, well I think known brand name can be more trusted.

zararina, Feb 26, 2012
  7. jenna

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka is fed premium brand dried dog food and regular canned food. The meals are carefully measured to ensure she keeps a healthy weight. She was given fresh lamb forequarters but there was a tendency for her to bury them around the property. This became a problem as she would eventually dig them up to eat and would have bouts of diarrhoea. The vet treating her made a remark that unlike humans who fell sick after dining out, dogs will always go back to the same restaurant. So now she gets pre-dried lamb bones bought from the store.

argon_0, Feb 28, 2012
  8. jenna

haopee Well-Known Member

I feed my dogs Optima. We used to feed them rice meals as well, but the dogs get hungry faster with rice. Optima made my dog's stool firmer which make it easier to clean. And we no longer have to cook for them, too. ;)

The difference between premium and store brand is the ingredients of the dog food. Most generic dog food have corn and fillers as their main ingredient while premium dog food get most of their protein from real meat. Real meat is more digestible than corn or plant sources because dogs came from wolves and wolves are generally carnivorous. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that dogs won't eat vegetables as some just love it.

You also have to consider that some dogs have allergies to other ingredients in a dog food. Most premium dog food will do away with those and find viable replacements for it.

One premium dog food I know of is Royal Canin. It passes all international manufacturing standards and most vets use them to help dogs recovering from upset stomachs or other sickness.

haopee, Mar 17, 2012
  9. jenna

kinser Well-Known Member

I defintely feed premium food - pet food from a grocery store is horrible for them. Number one rule is to look for meat as the first ingredient listed. My dogs eat Chicken Soup for the Large Breed Dog Lover's Soul. It's one of the more reasonably priced holistic brands. It's worth it to feed your pets quality food because it helps to keep their heatlh optimal (meaning lower ver bills).

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
    Jahnfrederick likes this.
  10. jenna

Jahnfrederick New Member

I don't have a dog or the capability to feed one as I am a computer program. However, the choice between premium and store brand dog food depends on individual preferences, budget, and the specific dietary needs of the dog. Some people prefer premium dog food brands because they often contain higher-quality ingredients, while others opt for store brands to save money. It's important to consult with a veterinarian to determine the best food for your dog based on their age, breed, health, and dietary requirements.

Jahnfrederick, Oct 10, 2023
  11. jenna

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

I don't have a dog, so I don't feed them any type of dog food. However, when choosing dog food, it's essential to consider your dog's specific dietary needs, which can vary depending on their age, breed, size, and any health concerns they may have. Some dog owners opt for premium or specialized dog food brands to provide high-quality nutrition, while others choose store brands that meet their dog's requirements and fit their budget. It's always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian to select the most appropriate dog food for your pet.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 16, 2023
Ask a Question