Do You Consider Yourself a Dog Mom?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 13, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!

I don't have any children. I've had two dogs as an adult. I guess that makes me a dog mom. I know it's not exactly the same as raising a child to adulthood. Still, taking on a dog is a huge responsibility. You are responsible for a living being. You must provide them food and nutrition, you must train them so they will behave, you must keep them safe and make sure others are safe around them, you have to make sure they get enough exercise, you must take care of them when they are not well, and you must give them your love. It's quite a bit of work when you look at it that way!

Do you consider yourself a dog mom (or dog dad)? Does someone else have that role in the family?

Melody, May 13, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

In some way I guess I am a dog dad. My wife and I have grown up kids so now Mishka is the kid of the family. I often hear myself saying things like you better ask mum to Mishka. Yesterday I said Happy Mothers day to my wife and mentioned Mishka made you the coffee.Yep, Mishka is now the kid of the family who doesn't complain too much and simple things amuse her.

argon_0, May 13, 2012
  3. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Haha, I never understood it but my husband and I do refer to ourselves as mom and dad when we are talking about each other to the dog. So yes, I guess I am a 'dog mom.'

MakingCents, May 14, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I have noticed that one doesn't always take on the role, but they end up with it. Every dog we've had, the dog has chosen someone to follow. That person ends being the parent. It's not always the person who got the dog.

My sister got our Collie. However, she attached herself to my brother. The Lab was a gift to my Mom, but she attached herself to me. Misha is all mine, which means I can't blame her flaws on anyone but myself. LOL

Argon, I see your dog's name is very similar to mine (Mishka/Misha). I like the variation, Mishka!

Melody, May 14, 2012
  5. Melody

King Browny Well-Known Member

I’m a dog mom. I always treat my dogs as if they’re my children. In fact, my greatest heartbreak is when my pup PM Copper died (he’s my first baby). See, I have him at 3 weeks old, feeding him milk in a bottle. All of his firsts came from me (bathing, eating, training, and travelling) and we even sleep together and I could say I was overprotective of him. Everybody adores him at home. When he died, I cried so much I forgot when I did stop crying. Anyway, when we buried him, I planted a Santol (fruit) on top of his grave (because it looks copper colored). That tree is full-grown now and is giving forth good fruits.

King Browny, May 14, 2012
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

My darling daughter named her this and she now lives in Hobart the city away from our rural property. So now Mishka is our substitute at home daughter. Dogs were bred to be our companions so I guess they are our kids.:rolleyes:

argon_0, May 14, 2012
  7. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Happy Mother's Day to all Dog Moms! I am a Dog Sister. I do not wish to be called mom because that would entail me admitting that I am old now.;) Some of my friends who own dog blogs prefer to call themselves "Dog Assistants" or "Dog Secretaries". It is fun that way.

Although, I wouldn't hesitate to admit that I love my dogs and I love treating them as my babies.

haopee, May 14, 2012
  8. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I am still single and mostly my dog/dogs are coined as my kids, so I think I am also considered as a Mom dog. :p
    Specially if they are still puppies, they will really require your attention and potty train them.

zararina, May 14, 2012
  9. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes and no. The dog isn't -instead of- kids, so I can't say it's exactly the same as many couples who have dogs and treat them like their own kids. And yet, definitely very mom-like anyway, as though he's -an additional- kid, if that makes sense. The kids sometimes whined that the dog got fed better than they did....or that they wanted to have what he was having for dinner, lol. I make his food homemade, too, so I understand the whining sometimes, hehe.

Jessi, May 14, 2012
  10. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I suppose I consider myself my dog's dad, in a way. I pamper her a bit, and often call her "sweetie" and whatnot. I also refer to her as "my little girl" or "daughter" when talking about her to other people. I'm actually undergoing some therapy sessions due to having had a rough home life, and my therapist actually tells me not to call her that, heh...but I can't help it. Even if sometimes she makes a mess out of things and makes sure I get the brunt of my mother's stress, I always treat her as if she was my next of kin. I'm just a really protective and nurturing sort of guy, I guess.

NewDCD, May 15, 2012
  11. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Why does your therapist not want you to consider yourself your dog's parent? Just curious.

MakingCents, May 15, 2012
  12. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Frankly, I haven't got a clue. I think it might be related to the fact that I told my therapist my childhood dream was establishing a (stable) family, but I think it's more of a cultural thing and whatnot. Her reply to when I referred to her as such was "she's not your daughter, she's your dog". So yeah, don't really know if it has any particular meaning, or just was an offhand comment.

NewDCD, May 15, 2012
Ask a Question