Do you buy your dog food or make it?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I was wondering about making dog food for our guys here at home. We have large breed dogs, Bernese Mountain dogs and we buy their food. But I keep reading more and more about people making their own food because it is healthier? Some claim it is cheaper, but I have to wonder about the time it takes as I have never done this before.

I have read about the raw diet for dogs, is that the same as when people make their own food for their dogs?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it hard to do? Cost effective? Healthier?

jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013
  2. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Feb 15, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

Great post, I think I may do some research on large breeds and making the food. I just wonder how much I would need for tow large Berner's!
    Could be a lot of food to prepare, but then again I love these boys so much that why not right?
    At the very least I can research it and go from there.

jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013
  4. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

How much do your dogs weigh?

Here's a handy calculator for averaging out about how much you need: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

And if you're going to make your own for big dogs, I highly recommend buying turkeys and meat on sale. I can get them for under a dollar a pound usually, which makes it quite affordable when mixing with other bulk bought items (like rice and large bags or cans of green beans and peas). I also get eggs at Aldis for around a dollar a dozen (much cheaper than elsewhere) and they're an amazing source of protein (and the shells give other nutrients, too).

Jessi, Feb 16, 2013
  5. jowjo5

zararina Well-Known Member

We do feed our dog human foods which is more cost effective. We gave them rice, meat and vegetables.

zararina, Feb 16, 2013
  6. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

I buy my Homer special dog food. It's rather expensive but it's balanced so I'm sure he gets what he needs. I'd be afraid I'd give him too little of some vitamins or something like that if I prepared his meals. Also, I don't have enough time during the day to cook for him.

claudine, Feb 16, 2013
  7. jowjo5

trishgl Well-Known Member

When I saw all the articles online about the dubious things they put in dog food my hubby and I have decided to try and make our own. We consulted our Vet and he is OK with it as long as we give our dog some vitamin supplements. For a medium breed like ours the cost is a bit cheaper compared to the premium dog food we buy.

trishgl, Apr 2, 2013
  8. jowjo5

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

We always fed our dog the same foods we ate, albeit in different portions and proportions to match their needs. Not only is it cheaper and easier, it is also healthier. The pet foods are always filled with complete rubbish: since there are no laws governing pet food safety, the companies can and do get away with putting in anything they want. For example, they often use meat, which has been declared unfit for people to eat because it comes from animals who died of disease or died before slaughter. When you consider that your pet is much smaller than a person, the effect of all the toxic things they put into pet food must be considerably greater.

GavinMcresty, Apr 30, 2013
  9. jowjo5

Trellum Well-Known Member

I always buy the food for my dogs, I know is possible to make dog food for them, but I rather leave that job to the experts, plus I have enough making food for humans everyday, now add making food for dogs as well? No way! I rather buy it, even if it gets a little more expensive each year over here :)

Trellum, Jan 24, 2014
  10. jowjo5

I noticed it too, it really gets more expensive each year. Currently, I pay around $16 a week only for Homer's food. Also, I buy him treats. I can't imagine how much money owners of big dogs spend at pet stores:eek:

claudine, Feb 2, 2014
  11. jowjo5

dodgesnose Member

We have at least a bag for 5-star quality food which also a treat for Dodge but most the time, mom cooks for human and dogs. Dodge loves rice, meat and vegetables.

dodgesnose, Feb 13, 2014
  12. jowjo5

Homer loves meat and vegetables too, I've never tried feeding him with rice, but I heard that it's recommended for upset stomach. Does Dodge like buckwheat? It's my Homer's favorite, he always begs for it when I'm cooking it for myself:p

claudine, Feb 13, 2014
  13. jowjo5

GeeTee Member

Mostly we cook their food (rice or cornmeal and some meat kind). This is backed up by some store bought dog food so they have some variety. I don't really trust it though. My older dog only started eating manufactured dog food after I got my last pup. Before that, I'd just waste my money buying it, even when she was a pup (got her from a shelter).

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  14. jowjo5

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Since we had our first dog, we were feeding them with cooked food. At first, we gave them what we eat. But a dog breeder advised us that human food is not good for dogs because it can affect their kidneys in a bad way. At present, we cook food for them - boiled or fried fish, fried chicken drumstick or boiled chicken wings, boiled pork belly and sometimes on occasions we give them boiled beef. But for breakfast, their usual fare is the canned dog food KD which is good for the kidneys and also an aid to their digestive system.

Corzhens, Aug 3, 2016
  15. jowjo5

LaneAlf Member

I have never really tried to making food specially for my dogs in order to use it as a substitute of regular dog food, but I can see why people consider this one as an option, dog food can be really expensive sometimes! I used to give eggs without oil to my biggest dog because I heard that it was good for his hair, but that's the far that I have went to when it comes to making food for them. But I think that I would never really try it, I'm not a cooking person at all and I would need to be really careful when it comes to the ingredients, I guess.

LaneAlf, Aug 3, 2016
  16. jowjo5

remnant Well-Known Member

You can cut your losses in terms of time and cash investment by giving your dogs any leftovers from meals served to the family. This not only prevents wastage but it also provides the dogs with a balanced diet. You only have to warm or heat the food and add supplements as required. Dogs especially relish bones and other forms of meat which has been left over and these can be easily sourced from butcheries.

remnant, Aug 10, 2016
  17. jowjo5

cluckeyo Active Member

My sister buys some kind of packet and she makes their dog's food out of ground meat and eggs and the ingredients of this packet. My daughter has a big, black German shepherd and they feed it only grass fed beef and some kind of fresh vegetable, often sweet potatoes. My little Valentine just gets Mighty Dog and crumbles. Oh and some people food too.

cluckeyo, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question