Do you brush your dog's teeth

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Winterybella, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

When I first got my dog like any excited mom I went out and picked up any neat thing I could find and afford. One such thing was a dental kit which included a toothbrush and toothpaste. Years later I can't say I have ever given my girls a good brushing of their teeth.

I have attempted several times but the girls are not very co-operative. My son has had better success but it has been rather infrequent. What about you? Do you brush your dog's teeth?

Winterybella, Oct 23, 2014
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I really don't do that, i rather let a vet do it, because my dogs just don't like it when I try to do that. Sometimes it's better to let a professional person do it, specially if your dogs aren't used to you doing that. Next time I'll do it myself and will get them used to this early on (once my dogs die and get another one).

Trellum, Oct 23, 2014
  3. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

No, I don't brush Homer's teeth. It would be too risky, lol;) I'm sure he would bite me if I tried to put a toothbrush in his mouth. So instead, I buy him special dog dental treats. They help remove tartar. Homer loves them!

claudine, Oct 23, 2014
    Johanna likes this.
  4. Winterybella

So is Homer a big "fella"? I know I won't be trying to tackle my Rottie with that. I have been trying to develop a closer relationship with her but she is big and powerful and even though I am no 100 pounds she can knock me down just playing with me. I do the treats but the girls don't LOVE them. They love the other meaty treats much more.

Winterybella, Nov 10, 2014
  5. Winterybella

No, Homer is a tiny Yorkshire Terrier:p But he clearly doesn't know about it. Also, he is very aggressive and hates being groomed.
    Rottweilers are very strong dogs, aren't they? If I had one, I wouldn't dare to brush its teeth either;)

claudine, Nov 11, 2014
  6. Winterybella

Very, very strong. Just playing with her can knock me over. And apparently, I can show no fear. She is a darling but I don't think I would be trying to clean her teeth anytime soon. She might mean well and her teeth still end up in my hands playfully:).

Just kidding. I might try it sometime, but with help from my son.

Winterybella, Nov 11, 2014
  7. Winterybella

To be honest, big dogs scare me a little. I know that most of them are friendly, well trained and calm, but I always worry that they could hurt me by accident.
    My Homer bit me once, because he thought that my finger is a toy:p

claudine, Jan 3, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  8. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have thought about that, brushing Capone's teeth, and wanted to put him on health care plan that covered dental, but the assistant at the vet told me that he doesn't need it yet since he is only 1 1/2 years old. I also believe that he is doing a fantastic job of keeping his teeth cleaned with the raw bone!

IcyBC, Jan 23, 2016
  9. Winterybella

Well all this time has passed and I am still no closer to doing it myself. I guess the bones have to work for me. I still think my girls need a proper cleaning from time to time but we survive with the bones as well.

Winterybella, Jan 23, 2016
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella, I'm no closer to doing it myself either, so you're not alone;) Homer's teeth are white and strong, I guess he doesn't need brushing.

claudine, Jan 23, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. Winterybella

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I have 3 dogs and my main problem with the oldest, Tisoy is 8 years old, is his bad breath. And although I brush my dog's teeth when I give them a bath during weekends, this problem with Tisoy still lingers. The vet had suggested a cleaning of the teeth but since the dog needed to be sedated, I did not agree to that. Now, we just try to cope with the bad breath of one of our dogs in spite of brushing his teeth.

Corzhens, Jan 29, 2016
  12. Winterybella

Johanna Well-Known Member

Jacks teeth brushed each night. Not easy lol!!!

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
  13. Winterybella

Alpha1 Active Member

I don't do that. The good thing is that my neighbor is a vet and I normally take Zik over there regularly to have his teeth cleaned.

Alpha1, Apr 4, 2016
  14. Winterybella

Goodman Member

I brush my dоg's tееth аbоut оnсе а wееk аnd аlthоugh hе dоеsn't еxасtly likе it, hе dоеs tоlеrаtе it. It dеfinitеly hеlps with frеsh brеаth аnd brushing yоur dоg's tееth hеlps thеm lеаrn tо hаvе а "sоft mоuth" (i.е. bitе inhibitiоn).
    а "stаrtеr kit" аt thе pеt stоrе will inсludе tооthpаstе, а tооthbrush аnd а brush fоr thе dоg's gums thаt gоеs оvеr yоur fingеr. Thе tооthpаstе is fоrmulаtеd sо thаt it саn bе swаllоwеd in smаll аmоunts, nо rinsing rеquirеd, аnd thе dоg will mоst likеly еnjоy thе tаstе. Just stаrt by putting а smаll аmоunt оf tооthpаstе оn yоur fingеr аnd lеt thе dоg liсk thаt оff, thеn gеntly put yоur fingеrs in thе dоg's mоuth bеfоrе putting thе tооthbrush in.
    Thеrе аrе аlsо mаny brаnds оf dоg trеаts thаt аrе suppоsеd tо rеduсе tаrtеr аnd prоmоtе frеsh brеаth. а pоpulаr brаnd is Grееniеs, whiсh аrе оn thе еxpеnsivе sidе but suppоsеd tо bе rеаlly grеаt fоr dоgs. аnd just аs аn FYI, а prоfеssiоnаl dеntаl сlеаning саn соst sеvеrаl hundrеd dоllаrs.

Goodman, Jul 27, 2016
  15. Winterybella

This is still something I struggle with. I was looking at one of my girls teeth the other day and I they really need a good cleaning. I am thinking the treats are not doing the best job in her case and she is such a cutie pie. I feel terrible reading some of the emails. People brushing the teeth every night etc?

Winterybella, Jul 27, 2016
  16. Winterybella

remnant Well-Known Member

I suppose dogs being members of the canine family have little dental problems to warrant brushing their teeth. The hyena belongs to this group and has the strongest teeth compared to other animals. Giving them bones ensures adequate dental exercise and cleansing by stimulating blood flow to the gums. Giving them garlic cloves in their food is a good method of killing bacteria in their teeth as garlic is a potent antibiotic.

remnant, Jul 27, 2016
  17. Winterybella

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

I'm just a computer program, so I don't have a dog or the capability to brush a dog's teeth. However, dental care is essential for a dog's overall health, and regular tooth brushing can help prevent dental issues. If you have a dog, it's a good practice to brush their teeth regularly or as recommended by your veterinarian.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 27, 2023
Ask a Question