Do you blow dry your dog's hair?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Sep 6, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Do you blow dry your dog's hair after a bath? I do. Homer loves it with all his heart, he loves the warm air!:D When he sees my dryer, he immediately starts wagging his tail and he jumps on his couch. Then, when I start drying him, he lies on his back, closes his eyes and relaxes. It looks very cute.
    Of course I'm always very, very careful, I set my dryer to the lowest heat setting, because I don't want to burn him.

claudine, Sep 6, 2013
    laviandfreddy likes this.
  2. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

No need for our dog. since he does not have a long fur. The usual pals or furbabies in our household does not have long fur as we prefer short fur breeds.

zararina, Sep 8, 2013
  3. claudine

It's very convenient to keep your dog's hair short, isn't it?:) My Homer doesn't have very long hair either, but he hates being wet and he loves warm air, so blow drying is a lot of fun for him:D

claudine, Sep 8, 2013
  4. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

I don't blow dry my dog's hair because she does not like the sound it makes. After a bath I let her shake off as much water a possible. Then I dry her with an old towel. Unfortunately that's not enough so I use a fan to further dry her. The process usually takes an hour.

trishgl, Sep 11, 2013
  5. claudine

Maybe try using a different hair dryer on her? It may work. We have a few hair dryers in our house and Homer likes only one of them, the rest annoy him because of the sound.

claudine, Sep 13, 2013
  6. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

I do! But before that, I let her shake her fur. Then I towel her. After the towel, I blow dry Chooey's fur after a bath because some thick-furred dog do actually require them to dry quicker especially when the wind or the weather is cold.

We have a Vidal Sassoon hair dryer that has two choices. One is warm blow dry while the other is just plain blow dry. I often use the plain blow dry because it's not hot and Chooey and Buchi doesn't mind something blowing air at them.

haopee, Sep 16, 2013
  7. claudine

My blow dryer has two choices too and although I believe that it would be better to use plain blow dry, my little Homer definitely prefers the warm one. I guess it's just too cold for him when his hair is wet.

claudine, Sep 16, 2013
  8. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

Don't your get too hot? Our do... so we have to do the blow drying from far away so they don't get uncomfortable. I usually do a sequence of warm and normal where normal generally takes up most of the blow drying time.

haopee, Sep 16, 2013
  9. claudine

I don't think so, he seems very happy when I do this and he lies, relaxed, with his eyes closed:) . But I always try to blow dry my hand too and this way I know when it may be too hot:p
    I always blow dry him from far away and I make sure that it doesn't take more than 6 or 7 minutes.

claudine, Sep 24, 2013
    laviandfreddy likes this.
  10. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

I see. Drying a Shih Tzu's hair can take 15 to 30 minutes... Our blow dryer isn't hot or warm so I guess that's one of the reasons why I feel that it's fine even when it stays beside Chooey or Buchi for a long time.

haopee, Oct 4, 2013
  11. claudine

laviandfreddy Member

I always blow dry him but I make sure the blow drier is not hot and at appropriate distance.
    At first he was scared of it but when winter came and he started feeling cold he started enjoying the blow drier. Like haopee described it. He closes his eyes, sticks his tongue out a little and doesn't move a muscle.

laviandfreddy, Oct 4, 2013
  12. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

I don't need to do that with my pugie :) I might need to do it with my schnauzer, but I never do it, because I'm too afraid it will damage its hair and skin. I actually try not to give them a shower that often (they might lose their natural skin oils). They always have a very shiny and beautiful coat thanks to that :)

Trellum, Oct 10, 2013
  13. claudine

I don't bathe Homer too often either, because he hates it, but sometimes he gets wet during our walks, so when we come back home, I prefer to blow dry his hair to make sure that he won't catch a cold.
    If you are careful, I'm sure that you won't damage your dogs' hair nor skin. The most important is to blow dry them from far away.

claudine, Oct 10, 2013
  14. claudine

Thanks for the tip :) I might use it wuith my schnauzer, she has long hair and sometimes that hair is hard to handle. I'm actually not a huge fan of dry blowing my own hair :D I tried it once, but I didn't like the feeeling that much. I prefer to let my hair dry gradually :) I could try it with my dog during an emergency like the one you described tho.

Trellum, Oct 13, 2013
  15. claudine

If it's warm in your area, then I think that letting your dog's hair dry gradually is the best solution:). In Poland sometimes it's pretty cold, especially during winter. I can't imagine my life without my hair dryer:p . As for Homer, he really enjoys being blow dryed, so I dry him mostly to make him happy:D

claudine, Oct 13, 2013
  16. claudine

Yeah, over here the best option is to let both my hair and dog's hair dry gradually :) You'd not believe how hot it gets over here during summer! It's scorching!!! Some days we could experience temperatures close or around 40C!!! So would drying our hair would be too much. But in a cold weather this must be very much appreciated, I think that's why Homer likes it ;) It must feel so nice for him, because he's a small dog and keeping himself warm can be hard sometimes.

Trellum, Oct 17, 2013
  17. claudine

We rarely have more than 35c here, only during the hottest days of summer. Personally, I love when it's hot! But I always feel very sorry for Homer and other dogs. My little thing hides in my wardrobe, because it's a little coldest place. I don't know what would he do if it was 40c.
    During winter, it's sometimes -20c or -25c here, and we live in an old house with thick walls, so blow drying wet hair is absolutely necessary:)

claudine, Oct 20, 2013
  18. claudine

Wow -25C!? That must be close to the temperatures I had to face when I was living in Oslo (Norway), I think back in the north it's even colder! You're all lucky to have so mild summers :) I might be moving to a place with mild summers, and very cold winters! I'm just hoping my long haired dog can deal with the wet winters... since the city we are going to live in is full of canals.

Trellum, Oct 20, 2013
  19. claudine

Fortunately, -25c doesn't happen often:) Usually, it's warmer.
    I love, love, love canals! There are so many canals in my beloved Venice, I find them very romantic:D You are lucky:D

claudine, Oct 23, 2013
Ask a Question